2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 549 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I'm wondering why Liza competed in Finlandia so close to her first GP. Her performance yesterday was not nearly as good as it was in Finland and I wonder if some of that is due to jet lag and fatigue from back to back competitions. Competing against Alena probably didn't help her confidence either for starting the GP season.

It would have seemed smarter to me to have skipped the 2nd challenger to focus on being prepared for SA. Or maybe they wanted the opportunity to practice competition with the original music? I just can't figure out some of the reasoning by team Mishin.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I just can't figure out some of the reasoning by team Mishin.

Who can? And has she ever been overly critical of her coaches? That's a big no-no in every sport. Take your coaches' approach or leave for somewhere else.

Yelizaveta herself said in a recent interview she doesn't mind hopping all over the world for competitions, and she is a most experienced competitor. FFKKR sends, and the skaters just have to follow.
Flying in and out for competitions in different time zones is part of the routine of many athletes, not all of them can cope, and no doubt it is tough on their bodies and minds. But full acclimatisation takes like 10 days and is only practised for Words and Olympics when held on another continent.

Lets hope for the best, Anna a clean skate and win, Liza a clean skate and a medal, Stasya to redeem herself. Tennell, Higuchi and Sakamoto will also try to win a medal, and the practice stream just concluded showed these skaters are all in the game still.

It now depends on individual ceilings in TES and still achieving good PCS. Anna now has her quads to use, Liza her triksels, don't know what secret the other three are hiding ...

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I'm wondering why Liza competed in Finlandia so close to her first GP. Her performance yesterday was not nearly as good as it was in Finland and I wonder if some of that is due to jet lag and fatigue from back to back competitions. Competing against Alena probably didn't help her confidence either for starting the GP season.

It would have seemed smarter to me to have skipped the 2nd challenger to focus on being prepared for SA. Or maybe they wanted the opportunity to practice competition with the original music? I just can't figure out some of the reasoning by team Mishin.

I think Liza competed at Finlandia because Lombardia didn't go as team Mishin planned/expected. So she and her coaches decided to do the second to work out the kinks before SA. Had she won Lombardia she probably would have withdrawn from the second challenger to rest.

That's the problem with trying to play catch up and not have everything ready. I know its early and most skaters simply see the challengers as a warm up before the GP starts, but they will usually have their programs finished for the most part, trained and practiced. If they make any changes it usually something small (unless the programs get real bad feedback). You don't see anyone fiddling around with their content to the extent Liza has been.

I know Liza wasn't at nationals last year but Sofia was so Mishin should have seen with his own eyes what was coming with the Eteri girls. Even before nationals if he had been paying attention to the junior competitions he would have seen it. Yet somehow he didn't make any changes and appears shocked as if it all suddenly in the blink of an eye. He's been caught totally flat footed and too slow at moving

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Who can? And has she ever been overly critical of her coaches? That's a big no-no in every sport. Take your coaches' approach or leave for somewhere else.

Yelizaveta herself said in a recent interview she doesn't mind hopping all over the world for competitions, and she is a most experienced competitor. FFKKR sends, and the skaters just have to follow.
Flying in and out for competitions in different time zones is part of the routine of many athletes, not all of them can cope, and no doubt it is tough on their bodies and minds. But full acclimatisation takes like 10 days and is only practised for Words and Olympics when held on another continent.

Lets hope for the best, Anna a clean skate and win, Liza a clean skate and a medal, Stasya to redeem herself. Tennell, Higuchi and Sakamoto will also try to win a medal, and the practice stream just concluded showed these skaters are all in the game still.

It now depends on individual ceilings in TES and still achieving good PCS. Anna now has her quads to use, Liza her triksels, don't know what secret the other three are hiding ...

But why would she do two challengers? Did any other top russian skaters do two assignments? To me that suggests the team wanted more than one challenger or thought this would help her in some way?

BabySloth

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
The Junior Grand Prix event locations for next year are out. I can't believe I will get to see a live event for the first time! (in Budapest) Sadly I wasn't a fan back then when Yulia won her European title there. :cry:

I'm a broke student :laugh: So I can't really afford to travel anywhere and now it's coming to my city! I hope to see amazing Russian ladies there (fingers crossed for Kamila or Daria). :love:

Elana

On the Ice
Bit worrisome bc with that score of 70 she still would’ve been in 4th place

Yeah, but the fall wasn't her only issue. The combo was UR and sloppy, so she lost both BV points and plenty of GOE. Then having any fall messes up program flow and, therefore, PCS are not gonna be as high as they potentially could, especially since she fell on footwork? As a judge watching that, what are they thinking about her skating skills/transition abilities? Obviously it was a silly mistake, but I would assume it had a slight impact on PCS, so if clean she would get a higher PCS score too (Plus as her reputation grows, so will her PCS, so in the future she can score higher there too).

If you add up all her mistakes and see where she left points on the table, that is why she scored a 67. Without the fall deduction and step sequence point loss, that 70ish is probably correct, but without all those other issues, she would have no problem surpassing 70. Give her some time to grow her confidence and her skating and her short program score will definitely rise to the top.

Vlad Karigov

On the Ice
The Junior Grand Prix event locations for next year are out. I can't believe I will get to see a live event for the first time! (in Budapest)

I'm a broke student :laugh: So I can't really afford to travel anywhere and now it's coming to my city! I hope to see amazing Russian ladies there (fngers crossed for Kamila or Daria). :love:

Russia and Japan should have JGP events every year because of the enormous contribution they give to this sport. A single event in Russia fills 5 times all the remaining JGP events, which I say, a single practice event fills more than a senior GP event.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
if Anna would only get 70 then she is not much of a challenger. That means Wakaba, Kaori and Bradie who arent the top tier are far far ahead. I guess I thought Anna was more higly regarded. Guess not.

She got 67.60 with a UR combo and a fall. Without the fall, she would've had an additional 1 point (no deduction) plus around 2.5 points of GOE (1.34 added back to get to 0 and GOE around 1-1.25). That's already 71. If she didn't have a UR combo with a poor landing, she would've gained 1 point in BV, 1 point in GOE to bring her to 0, and around 1 more point in positive GOE hopefully, so around 3 more points, bringing her 74. She likely would've had a 0.5 point or 1 point higher in PCS without those disruptions, too, so around 74.5 or 75. For someone in her second senior event, that would've been very good, and her PCS would've risen in future competitions.

Anna's strongest program is her FS because it's where she can do quads. It's this program that makes her a challenger because it includes her quad(s). In the SP, she doesn't have a quad because she can't, so she really runs away in the FS when she lands the quad. So, I think she still has good potential to be a challenger.

MalAssada

Medalist
How many skaters can get to low 70s? Keep in mind Bradie skated at home (and we all know what home-inflation does to a skater's score), Wakaba is inconsistent and Kaori is frankly first tier to me. Anna's strength comes in the FP with her quads and a program better suited to her, which will wield more PCS.

I do agree that Anna's leaving points in the table with her elements, while clean, not getting as much GOEs as Kostornaya and Zagitova. She could potentially get to mid or high 70s by increading her GOE averages from +1 to +3.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Please remember that according to Competition Chat guidelines, providing links to live-streams of ongoing competitions may be done only in the Competition Forums, and not in threads in “The Edge”.

Thank you.