2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1206 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

...the others (I would have rcognized) would be Sonja Henie, Kristi Yamaguchi .

Sonja Henie not only won some figure skating contests, but then went to Hollywood and became a movie star.

I think Kristi Yamaguchi is best known for her pro career as an entertainer, headlining Stars on Ice for a decade back in the days when Stars on Ice played to full houses night after night.

Last edited:

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
The 25th is in 3 days (technically 2 in Russia) - why would she not start training till mid-June?

If she's going to train in Novogorsk then, as I've mentioned earlier, she'll have to: a) pass mandatory med screening; b) get negative results on 2 covid tests - that will take 2 weeks time approx.

Resa

On the Ice
If she's going to train in Novogorsk then, as I've mentioned earlier, she'll have to: a) pass mandatory med screening; b) get negative results on 2 covid tests - that will take 2 weeks time approx.

But maybe skaters got informed in advance and already did one test

starlight97

Final Flight
i always wondered had Julia skated clean if she would have medaled or won. would she have done enough to surpass Yuna?

I'm convinced she would have, with the help of the judges.
If it would have been merited for her to win over a clean Yuna is another discussion.
But there definitely would have been less outcry, she had amazing spins, good programs that season, rotated 3Lz-3T in both programs and she had been the star of the whole season, she was all set up as the darling of Sochi.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Based on how Adelina was scored, if Yulia had skated 2 clean programs I honestly think she would've won.

I'm not sure that is what would have happened. I watched their nationals performances, and while Yulia performance had more of an emotional impact, Adelina's performance was generally 'bigger' with bigger jumps, more power and speed and ice coverage. While Yulia spins had more flexibility and insanely fast rotations, Adelina spins were with more variety and cleanly done positions. Not to say that Adelina beat her at that same competition, where her components were marked visibly higher. If i had an opportunity to play predictions game back than, i would probably put Mao in 1st (due to her 3As), and some combination of Adelina and Yuna in 2nd and 3rd, assuming that all skaters would have completely clean performances at Sochi.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I think the troubles were more highlighted by people because she won first with the lutz in every competition except 1 (where she placed second) for 2 seasons, Osmond while she did win some medals didn't accomplish what Medvedeva did.

Oh Please Amei, envy is the green eyed monster as they say. Medvedeva's skating and her medals are without question remarkable and the same can be said of Kaetlyn's. No other skater of her generation than KO, has won as many OGM's of all colours, as well as a World's Gold and Silver in a span of a 6 year career. Can you imagine what could have been accomplished if she hadn't missed 2 of those 6 years of competitive skating due to injuries in her prime?

All this coming at a time when most fans including judges, could not fathom Canadian women being even remotely competitive with Russian, American and Japanese women. This was reflected in marks given in some competitions. As Johnny Weir said, "If you had asked me at the start of the season if I thought 2 Canadian women would be on a Worlds podium..."

Please Amei, don't dismiss others and their accomplishments just to promote your favs. Canadian women slayed the hard way in that, they earned it!

mdl

On the Ice
I'm convinced she would have, with the help of the judges.
If it would have been merited for her to win over a clean Yuna is another discussion.
But there definitely would have been less outcry, she had amazing spins, good programs that season, rotated 3Lz-3T in both programs and she had been the star of the whole season, she was all set up as the darling of Sochi.

if we follow some opinions, Julia should have not be winning since she had flutz ;)

I think had she skated clean she would have won. The impact of her FS and emotional response of the audience was great, she had this huge momentum after the team event, but miss to grab it.

Pantsu

On the Ice
Justice prevailed twice, at 2014 and 2018. I really have no words to describe how happy i am, especially for Adelina. Such a sweet victory and a well deserved one

theharleyquinn

Medalist
In that case "the culprit has returned to the crime scene" (czech proverb) :)

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed what he was aiming at with the Exogenesis program. It left a strong impression, especially with her costume. I think I'm more interested in the work Zhenya could do with him now than what she could do with Shae-Lynn.

Oh Please Amei, envy is the green eyed monster as they say. Medvedeva's skating and her medals are without question remarkable and the same can be said of Kaetlyn's. No other skater of her generation than KO, has won as many OGM's of all colours, as well as a World's Gold and Silver in a span of a 6 year career. Can you imagine what could have been accomplished if she hadn't missed 2 of those 6 years of competitive skating due to injuries in her prime?

All this coming at a time when most fans including judges, could not fathom Canadian women being even remotely competitive with Russian, American and Japanese women. This was reflected in marks given in some competitions. As Johnny Weir said, "If you had asked me at the start of the season if I thought 2 Canadian women would be on a Worlds podium..."

Please Amei, don't dismiss others and their accomplishments just to promote your favs. Canadian women slayed the hard way in that, they earned it!

This response as a whole is very strong, but this is a particularly unhelpful superlative. I certainly don't think skaters with team medals are automatically better than skaters without them or with fewer. They are team medals, so at a given point it is more about the collective (and the management of the federation) than any individual skater.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Justice prevailed twice, at 2014 and 2018. I really have no words to describe how happy i am, especially for Adelina. Such a sweet victory and a well deserved one

Not sure about that one there, it isn't Adelina's fault but the judges had to promote a Russian after Yulia fell. I love the RUssian girls and I think the amount of hate Adelina got was uncalled for but it wasn't justice by any means....

Alina on the other hand, despite her missed underrotation calls :)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Not sure about that one there, it isn't Adelina's fault but the judges had to promote a Russian after Yulia fell. I love the RUssian girls and I think the amount of hate Adelina got was uncalled for but it wasn't justice by any means....

Alina on the other hand, despite her missed underrotation calls :)

I think Adelina won fair and square back then and i still think so now. Yes, Yuna may have been better artistically but Adelina beat her on technical, and that's how the system goes.

And Alina didn't have any URs at her Olympic skate as I recall...:p

Scott512

Record Breaker
I'm not sure that is what would have happened. I watched their nationals performances, and while Yulia performance had more of an emotional impact, Adelina's performance was generally 'bigger' with bigger jumps, more power and speed and ice coverage. While Yulia spins had more flexibility and insanely fast rotations, Adelina spins were with more variety and cleanly done positions. Not to say that Adelina beat her at that same competition, where her components were marked visibly higher. If i had an opportunity to play predictions game back than, i would probably put Mao in 1st (due to her 3As), and some combination of Adelina and Yuna in 2nd and 3rd, assuming that all skaters would have completely clean performances at Sochi.

Yulia could have done nothing to beat Adelina who had the skates of a lifetime. Skates of power passion energy big jumps and high scoring totals as we all knew going into the event. To me Yulia was more darling of course but she did not have the high-scoring potential of Adelina and did not have as difficult to program with tougher jumps that Adelina did. I look at it like this Yulia was great truly phenomenal in the team event and Adelina was great in the individual event. I also feel like keeping Adelina out of the team event was complete crap. That still bothers me especially after she won how many Russian Nationals? 5? 6? Adelina deserved that team gold as well and they screwed her out of it after all she did for Russia. It was all set up for her do the short program and Yulia to do her incredible free skate. Nothing should have changed that because they were going to win the gold no matter what. The Russian team was loaded.

I'm so sorry both were gone from competition so young for various reasons. But that's Sports and that's life.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
This response as a whole is very strong, but this is a particularly unhelpful superlative. I certainly don't think skaters with team medals are automatically better than skaters without them or with fewer. They are team medals, so at a given point it is more about the collective (and the management of the federation) than any individual skater.

If the Olympic motto is Faster, Higher, Stronger, then there is no better recipient than Kaetlyn Osmond. If you are suggesting that Team medals should not be considered in an athlete's career, you best start speaking to Mark Spitz and letting him know that 3 of his 7 OG medals from Munich don't count, or 2 of Usain Bolt's 8 OG medals were technically, unearned.

Good luck with that.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
If the Olympic motto is Faster, Higher, Stronger, then there is no better recipient than Kaetlyn Osmond. If you are suggesting that Team medals should not be considered in an athlete's career, you best start speaking to Mark Spitz and letting him know that 3 of his 7 OG medals from Munich don't count, or 2 of Usain Bolt's 8 OG medals were technically, unearned.

Good luck with that.

If you believe that the relay format in swimming and track & field is the same as the team event for figure skating, especially for the purposes of evaluating the dominance of an individual skater, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
If you believe that the relay format in swimming and track & field is the same as the team event for figure skating, especially for the purposes of evaluating the dominance of an individual skater, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise.

No you will not convince me or others including Olympic Team hockey, basketball or volleyball teams, that their medal is not real. Your attempts to somehow downgrade or diminish the accomplishments of other athletes, will not undo history but nice try. Ask any athlete and of course individual medals hold their most joy but team medals are also worthy of mention, regardless of how some here believe they are without merit.