Page 1214 of 1214 FirstFirst ... 2147141114116412041205120612071208120912101211121212131214
Results 24,261 to 24,276 of 24276

Thread: 2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by flanker View Post
    You do precisely that. Once again, during 2015/16 season (if we put 2015 Nepela Trophy aside) Zhenya's PCS rose from 67.16 to 72.34 in one season
    I don’t understand why you put aside scores in Nepela? Don't give in to the tricks of the opponent, Nepela is the same official competition as the GP.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrashergurl View Post
    The PCS boost for Zagitova was widely noticed. It’s not an insult. Also, her win over Medvedeva was by a very slim margin with Medvedeva tying her in the LP despite Zagitova backloading. It’ll always be discussed and debated. Fans should know this happens all the time and not take it so personally.
    I still dont understand why they didnt give out small gold medals to Alina and Zhenya for tying in their olymoic free skates. The ISU gave out small gold silver and bronze medals at the world championship several weeks later in the SP. The olympics is more important alot more important than words.

Here for the High Lord of Extra TallyT's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott512 View Post
    I still dont understand why they didnt give out small gold medals to Alina and Zhenya for tying in their olymoic free skates. The ISU gave out small gold silver and bronze medals at the world championship several weeks later in the SP. The olympics is more important alot more important than words.
    I don't think any of the Olympics sports give out medals for one section of a competition....

Tripping on the Podium

3 Not allowed!
    I think the Olympics does not count as an ISU championship, where small medals are awarded. Only worlds, world juniors, euros and four continents would have these.

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TallyT View Post
    I don't think any of the Olympics sports give out medals for one section of a competition....
    Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer57 View Post
    I think the Olympics does not count as an ISU championship, where small medals are awarded. Only worlds, world juniors, euros and four continents would have these.
    Merci beaucoup!

5 Not allowed!
    I'm glad people are still talking about Zagitova's PCS and not worthy OG. They say that after covid we enter the new normal but I liked my old normal. Even in a small facet of life, you bringing me the old normal and I thank you.

Tripping on the Podium bubblecherry's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    ...gymnastics?

On the Ice

6 Not allowed!
    The PCS boost for Zagitova was widely noticed. It’s not an insult. Also, her win over Medvedeva was by a very slim margin with Medvedeva tying her in the LP despite Zagitova backloading. It’ll always be discussed and debated. Fans should know this happens all the time and not take it so personally.
    also should be noticed the Tech boots for Evgenia - lutz edge?

4 Not allowed!
    Not to dwell on this too much, but both sides of the argument are pretty ridiculous. Indeed, Alina got way too much PCS for her performances that season. I don't think she's nearly as good in any PCS category as one would imagine. She's somewhat above average, but that's all.

On the other side of the coin, Medvedeva herself was extremely overscored in PCS for the longest time. Also, for years she got flutz after flutz uncalled. My opinion is that this got to her and she vastly overestimated her own ability as a result. Indeed, we can look at her accomplishments from the past years, but should she actually have had those accomplishments in the first place?

I preferred Zagitova's SP and Medvedeva's FS at the Olympics. Neither were that amazing during a transitionary period with several stronger skaters soon to come. I still think people care way too much about these two skaters.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zytolda View Post
    also should be noticed the Tech boots for Evgenia - lutz edge?
    Sure, but the topic was Alina’s PCS boost, which had absolutely nothing to do with Medvedeva.

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zounger View Post
    I'm glad people are still talking about Zagitova's PCS and not worthy OG. They say that after covid we enter the new normal but I liked my old normal. Even in a small facet of life, you bringing me the old normal and I thank you.
    I don’t see anyone saying Zagitova didn’t deserve her Olympic win. Yours is the first post I’ve seen recently even suggesting it. Zagitova absolutely deserved her gold with Medvedeva a very close second. I never understood the fan fighting. These were the 2 best skaters in the world at that time and people should’ve been very proud of both of them.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bubblecherry View Post
    ...gymnastics?
    Yes!

Rinkside

3 Not allowed!
    ...gymnastics?
    Yes!
    Eh, not really. All the qualification is lumped together but the finals are held separately - so if you do all-around and then an individual apparatus you'll do that apparatus at least 3 times (once in the qualifying round, once in the all-around final and once in the apparatus final, then possibly in the team all-around final). So they're separate competitions when the medals are awarded.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madraykin View Post
    Eh, not really. All the qualification is lumped together but the finals are held separately - so if you do all-around and then an individual apparatus you'll do that apparatus at least 3 times (once in the qualifying round, once in the all-around final and once in the apparatus final, then possibly in the team all-around final). So they're separate competitions when the medals are awarded.
    I guess it would make sense as well if skaters did programs 3 times, otherwise it's a bit unfair that someone could win or lose 3 medals in two performances. Currently the qualification a.k.a SP result is also included in final score, so not really comparable with gymnastics. And FS and SP don't have remarkable differences, except that one is, well, shorter (and also rules on combination jumps are more strict, but in singles that's pretty much it).

Tripping on the Podium Happy Skates's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    ...gymnastics?
    I'd love for sp and fs medals to be given, but I don't think gymnastics is a fair comparison. They have separate finals for each, so no medals are "overlapping". In other words, a routine that helped you get an all around medal wouldn't be able to get you an individual event medal. So thats what I think op meant by saying no other sport gives medals for a portion of the competition. For skating to be consistent with that, there would have to be separate sp and fs finals after the team event and individual event (or before I guess). That seems like it would be exhausting for skaters when the Olympics already seems to go on forever with both the team event and the individual event. On the other hand, it would give skaters two more chances to get medals, which I would be in favor of. Sometimes it seems like not enough skaters come out of the Olympics as "winners". I wouldn't be against giving out a couple more medals. And there are some great sp skaters who I feel deserve recognition for their ability to put out a winning sp, who sometimes mess it up by falling apart in the fp. I actually think the sp and fp are different enough because of the ratio of jumps to other elements that separate medals could be warranted. The only problem to worry about would be exhaustion of the skaters and whether the fans would find that many competitions interesting. I would, but idk if the general public would.

3 Not allowed!
    ...gymnastics?
    i see what you're saying, but it's a bit different in gymnastics. giving out a medal for a SP or LP would be comparable to getting a medal for your beam routine in the AA final. the team, event, and all around finals are completely separate competitions which is why they all get separate medals, but no medals are awarded for where your individual routines place in the all around or team final at the olympics.

Page 1214 of 1214 FirstFirst ... 2147141114116412041205120612071208120912101211121212131214