2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 733 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Manitou

Medalist
No, I object to splitting this topic. This is a valid, useful and detailed comparison between the top contenders for first place in Grand Prix Finals and World Championships.
Four happen to be Russian, the other is Japanese.

I rather have and want to read these discussions on actual skating and scoring that the endless battles in rhetorics on far less interesting and useful topics.

I agree. The Russian ladies compete with Japanese, so it's obvious you want to discuss both right here. I hope the admins will not go the length of the paranoia of having a separate thread on Russians vs Japanese. Then we would have to have yet another thread of Russians vs Americans, and then Japanese vs Canadians. Reducing entropy to a point of a complete non-usability of this forum. Probably the most ordered state of the forum would be when people don't talk at all.
In the context of Russian ladies I mentioned once Ekaterina Kurakova and then I got warned. Are you kidding??!!

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty
Who cares, information from Twitter from today's (21) practice

Alena Kostornaya
Wasn’t all of its elements carried through, but a pretty good success rate on her 3A compared to IDF?
2A 2A 3Lz 3Lz
Run thru (3Afall 3Lz Hand down 3Lo
3F3T 3F1Eu3S 2Lz)
3Lz 2A 3Lo 3Lo 3F1Eu3S 3Lz 3A2T 3A3T 3Afall 3A2T 2A 3Lo 3Lz 3F3T FCSp FCCoSp LSp CCoSp
Alina Zagitova
She looked sharp, as always, but not as sharp, as I recall, in the Worlds? Does not fall
2A 3S 3F 3Lo 2A3T 2A3T 3S 2A 3Lz3Lo
RT (3Lz3Lo 2A3T 3S 2A 3Lz 3F2T2Lo 3F StSq)
2A 2A3T 3S 2A 3Lz 3Lz3Lo3Lo 3Lz3Lo 2A3T3Lo 3Lz3T 3F2T2Lo several exercises 0A1Eu3T (3Lo) FCSp CCoSp LSp

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Who is the young skater who won in France? She was an absolute delight to watch. With Russia's deep field, does she have a chance to make the world team? I looked her up, her name is Alena Kostornaia. Love her skating.

Yes, it was her. And she will compete tomorrow at NHK together with Alina Zagitova and Rika Kihira.

lusterfan

Final Flight
No, I object to splitting this topic. This is a valid, useful and detailed comparison between the top contenders for first place in Grand Prix Finals and World Championships.
Four happen to be Russian, the other is Japanese.

I rather have and want to read these discussions on actual skating and scoring that the endless battles in rhetorics on far less interesting and useful topics.

Agree. I think the topic of comparison is still relevant to the Russian ladies as we are not solely discussing Rika.

Sasha with her immense BV wins every time if everyone goes clean. Obviously, Sasha's chance of going clean is much much higher than Rika's considering she has yet to skate with a 4S and 3Lz this season. However, Rika actually gets close enough to have a chance if the PCS gap remains as it is. From my analysis:

Sasha's current layout:

ProgramBVPCSExpected Total Score
SP33.7833-3475-77
FS89.4066-69174-177
Total123.1899-103249-254

Rika's Expected Layout:

SP37.2934-3681-84
FS76.2671-74165-170
Total113.55105-110246-254

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I just realised that Kostornaia should NOT add a 3T to her 3A. It's no use. She would have to change the 3F+3T to a 3F+2T so there is no point.
This "only 2 triples can be repeated"-rule can sometimes make things a bit strange.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Agree. I think the topic of comparison is still relevant to the Russian ladies as we are not solely discussing Rika.

Sasha with her immense BV wins every time if everyone goes clean. Obviously, Sasha's chance of going clean is much much higher than Rika's considering she has yet to skate with a 4S and 3Lz this season. However, Rika actually gets close enough to have a chance if the PCS gap remains as it is. From my analysis:

Sasha's current layout:

SP33.7833-3475-77
FS89.4066-69174-177
Total123.1899-103249-254

Rika's Expected Layout:

SP37.2934-3681-84
FS76.2671-74165-170
Total113.55105-110246-254

Looved this analysis. Great stuff!:)

Batsuchan

Medalist
Well, unlike in some of the previous GP competitions, the 3 Russian ladies skate back-to-back in the SP at NHK Trophy - Aliona, then Alina, then Sofia. That should provide a direct comparison for the judges and us viewers, and it will be interesting to see what the judges do with the scores (particularly the PCS)... :think:

Decoder

On the Ice
And? Skaters are different, their journeys are different too. Aliona is 16 and yet this is her first senior season. At her age Alina was an Olympic Champion already. And so what? The titles Alina has won at Rika’s (or Aliona’s...) age doesn‘t change that Rika is a top skater right now and one who‘s at “the highest level“ and can very well contend with Alina and Aliona. (which was the only thing the post you quoted was showing - it was an answer to someone who sarcastically asked whether Rika really was at the highest level) It also doesn‘t change that Rika has beaten Alina before, at an official ISU competition. Alina has beaten Rika, too, and at Worlds no less, which is what makes the upcoming competition so exciting. There are three equally great ladies who have posted scores before that are in a pretty similar range. They‘re all in to win the Gold and it will probably be decided by who‘s the cleanest. I think that‘s great and I‘ll look forward to seeing it. I like that they all have a chance to win. Imo, there‘s no need to elevate one‘s favorite by stating how much more accomplished they were at a certain age than their rival. What counts is the “now“. And considering that Rika is planning a quad and three 3As... I‘d say she‘s skating at the “highest level“ alright. ;) (as are Aliona and Alina... but that‘s not being questioned)

flanker was just replying to a comment saying Rika has beaten Alina in GPF last year, by saying that Alina had also beaten Rika, several times. flanker didn't say or imply anything about Rika being a top skater (or not). I think you read too much into it and then reacted a little bit too strongly.

Fluture

Record Breaker
flanker was just replying to a comment saying Rika has beaten Alina in GPF last year, by saying that Alina had also beaten Rika, several times. flanker didn't say or imply anything about Rika being a top skater (or not). I think you read too much into it and then reacted a little bit too strongly.

I don‘t mind admitting when I‘ve made a mistake but I actually don‘t think I‘ve made one here. I do not remember Rika competing in the Olympics or in the only GPF Alina won (2017), do you? Therefore, the only comparison to make that would be fair is Worlds because Alina HAD beaten Rika there and confidently so. Stating which titles Alina has won at Rika‘s age, when Rika wasn‘t even competing in these competitions has no use other than elevating Alina and diminishing Rika‘s accomplishments. (“At Rika‘s age, Alina was ALREADY a ... champion“) Don‘t tell me I should interpret this as an innocent comparison between Rika and Alina in competitions because it‘s clearly not. You also have to read the comments before to see the context - because the original implication was - albeit sarcastic - that Rika might not be a top skater because she had faltered at Worlds and Nationals.

I do not wish to discuss this further. The only thing I want to say that I find it absolutely fair to mention Alina beating Rika at Worlds should anybody say Rika was heads and shoulders above her. Because this is not true, they’ve got equal chances for gold going into this competition. But this was not the case here, which is why I might have responded “too strongly“.

Anyway, good luck to all girls today but since this is the Russian ladies thread: Good luck, Alina and Aliona!! :)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Good luck to Sofia here as well! Even though her FS music is a shocker, I love the SP music.

Bring it today, Team Russia!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Surprised!

Seems the NHK is going to be between Kostotnaya and Kihira since Zagitova popped herself out of contention.

Alina will still make the finals most likely. Wonder what happened as she didn’t seem to be “on”?

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Surprised!

Seems the NHK is going to be between Kostotnaya and Kihira since Zagitova popped herself out of contention.

Alina will still make the finals most likely. Wonder what happened as she didn’t seem to be “on”?
I say if Alyona doesn't make a mistake tomorrow she will win she has what over 5 or 6 points on rika ?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can’t believe I forgot Sofia! Sorry!! :( Of course lots of luck to her, too! :cheer:

That's OK. I think the judges forgot her too! :( I don't know how GOE is awarded but she got hosed! Shakes head. I hope she stays positive though! Tomorrow is FS after all.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I think Alina was in the "ease mood" too much so far in the season, when everything is perfectly good in trainings (or test skates), she maybe loses some watchfulness.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Yeah that pop really costed Alina. I wonder what going on with her mentally, all her practices have been clean at here and IdF, but she can't put it together during competition. Seems like a repeat of last season so far; strong first outing then something happens on the GPs.

It's almost a career low for her; that's the second lowest SP score of her entire international career. And the first time she popped and missed the combo in the SP, ever.

I hope she can sort that out for the FS because she has skated these two programs clean in practice all season. It's a mental game for her now.