2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 528 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
1. That's why I disapprove of Liza's behaviour. I like wittiness in a lady but not when a joke can be perceived as a direct critic towards a competitor. I always liked the japanese ladies humble attitude. They always seem to accept defeat with grace, they respect their coaches even when they are wrong, and treat the opponents with admiration even when the judges are wrong. From the entire russian field, Eteri's ladies are the closest to this japanese mindset.

2. Unpopular opinion, but Liza lost more points on levels, bad spins etc... than on that 3F call and the judges are right with that. So please Liza more focus on components. Mishin got stuck in the old era of figure skating. Liza won WC title in a time when her rivals were not so manny and especially not so good as today.

3. Alena is so special we don't realise how lucky we are to witness her skating

Today Liza had only two lvl 3 elements, but one of the biggest problems are her combos. 3A-2T is sure thing, but she also did 2A-Eu-2S and 2A-2T, that's like throwing 8-10 points out of the window.

-

BTW spectator's video of the medal ceremony. Some things, I don't know, seem little weird to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3-7xK02bOM

macy

Record Breaker
IMO the judges not only sent a clear message to Aliona, but also Liza and Mishin. the dull programs, empty choreo, slow skating etc isn't going to fly anymore. 3As are not an automatic win. i hope both of them but especially Mishin realize they have to work on the rest of her skating besides the jumps. if they don't, they really are not going to like what else happens this season, especially if she is passed over for another world team. And if not, i agree with whoever said this before- Mishin will be failing her as a coach.

this season is the most interesting and competitive ever, the depth in the ladies is just insane...and to think some with quads and/or triple axels will be left off the world team. i hope Alina and Zhenya have a surprise or two up their sleeves, because they are going to need them. we have Sasha, Anna, Alena, Liza, Zhenya, Alina...and half of these girls won't make worlds. like...what.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
BTW spectator's video of the medal ceremony. Some things, I don't know, seem little weird to me:

LOL, that's a Rodina video, so there will very probably be some veiled insults or whatever in her later live stream, which is already posted on her channel. She has her own audience and only desperate skaters approach her, those with more sense most likely stay well away from her ....

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
LOL, that's a Rodina video, so there will very probably be some veiled insults or whatever in her later live stream, which is already posted on her channel. She has her own audience and only desperate skaters approach her, those with more sense most likely stay well away from her ....

I've figured out. Still, I can't avoid comparison with e.g. Alina-Sasha interraction at JO with this. I know there is difference being from one team and from one team Europe on one side and not being one team on the other, yet some more respect towards the winner would suit the older competitors.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

People in the comment section seem to be unhappy with Liza and Bettina, because usually the older teammates are supposed to be taking care of the younger ones (kind of how Yuzuru always seems to be taking care of Shoma), but in the video Bettina/Sergej and Liza seem to be having fun, hugging and taking photos and Aliona seems to be left all alone and sort of ignored by them.
That’s not a big deal though, I think people are making too much out of one video. Well it certainly won’t be, unless some Russian news outlet doesn’t decide to blow it up lol.
I’m sure they all had fun together after the event.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
People in the comment section seem to be unhappy with Liza and Bettina, because usually the older teammates are supposed to be taking care of the younger ones (kind of how Yuzuru always seems to be taking care of Shoma), but in the video Bettina/Sergej and Liza seem to be having fun, hugging and taking photos and Aliona seems to be left all alone and sort of ignored by them.
That’s not a big deal though, I think people are making too much out of one video. Well it certainly won’t be, unless some Russian news outlet doesn’t decide to blow it up lol.
I’m sure they all had fun together after the event.

I didn’t see an issue? They’re probably closer than they are with Alena, especially since she’s a new competitor in senior ranks.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Alyona and Liza together inviting us to attend their competitions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1e9eX-D5gw

Of course there is a generation gap between Alyona and the older competitors who already have boyfriends, are married etc. But they will gladly all gang up in the after banquet dance party or any excursions together.

cell

On the Ice
IMO the judges not only sent a clear message to Aliona, but also Liza and Mishin. the dull programs, empty choreo, slow skating etc isn't going to fly anymore. 3As are not an automatic win. i hope both of them but especially Mishin realize they have to work on the rest of her skating besides the jumps. if they don't, they really are not going to like what else happens this season, especially if she is passed over for another world team. And if not, i agree with whoever said this before- Mishin will be failing her as a coach.

this season is the most interesting and competitive ever, the depth in the ladies is just insane...and to think some with quads and/or triple axels will be left off the world team. i hope Alina and Zhenya have a surprise or two up their sleeves, because they are going to need them. we have Sasha, Anna, Alena, Liza, Zhenya, Alina...and half of these girls won't make worlds. like...what.

And yet she is already talking about how she needs quads...Jumps, jumps, jumps

skatergurl7

On the Ice
And yet she is already talking about how she needs quads...Jumps, jumps, jumps

Just like Sasha, keeps adding the quads to contend when in reality both need to work on the PCS side. Although I do think that improving the performance and SS probably takes longer than adding another hard jump for naturally gifted jumpers and not as gifted artists.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
[.... Serafima's interview ....]

Q: Soon one of the main tournaments of the season will come - the Championship of Russia, how do you tune in to it?
A: What is the main one? I still won’t get into the top three, what's the difference of being tenth or fifteenth (laughs). For Alina Zagitova, Sasha Trusova, Alyona Kostornaya, Anya Shcherbakova - yes, it is important, for all the others - no.

This is so sad to read. I know Serafima is just being real, and it is reality that their ladies field is just too damn deep. Still kinda sad to read this "sense of pointlessness" for some of these young skaters, who may never get to go to Worlds at all in their career.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Just like Sasha, keeps adding the quads to contend when in reality both need to work on the PCS side. Although I do think that improving the performance and SS probably takes longer than adding another hard jump for naturally gifted jumpers and not as gifted artists.

Sasha knows about it though, she’s told all the time, she just loves her jumps. And to the very least Sasha rarely loses levels on her spins and stsq, and has a lot of cool transitions, her cantilever is one of the many amazing things she does.
I think Sasha’s SS are quite decent actually, she’s just a little more muscular and moves differently imo. Aliona’s are really good, I’d say exceptional for her age, and thus a lot of skaters might look pale in comparison, but I often feel like people harp on Alexandra on PCS where in fact she delivers quite a lot in her programs aside from her jumps.
She’ll work on those things more as she will grow, I’m sure.