2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 89 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
She is still not doing Bielman.... back issues tend to be chronic....

I injured my back 16 years ago doing a Bielmann, and my back has never been the same again. (4 herniated discs). So I understand what Evgenia is going through. Same with Pogo. It's a shame that Bielmann's are almost mandatory (I know you can get level 4 w/o one, but the layback spin just isn't as special w/o it.)

Last edited:

Kittosuni

Medalist
Basing on history, I bet SkAm and NHK will want atleast one or even two of the 3A's in their line-up as a headliner.

The problem with Alina not being with other top Russian ladies is that this year there's just so many top Russian ladies (I'd count the 3A, Alina, Zhenya, and Liza as top). Alina will for sure be at Rostelecom, but I feel like they won't put Sasha there just to protect Alina. I think Anna might actually be there choice because she's the national champion, but at the same time they probably could still PCS a clean Alina to a win assuming Anna doesn't up her layout by a crazy amount (which is still completely possible).

What makes us think they are going to protect Alina against the 3A? Having four skaters from the same training school be successful in the same season is probably more of a concern for them than protecting her honestly. That result would affect the whole of Russian skating and I can guarantee some bitter reactions should that be the result. In the past they have made obvious efforts to support other training schools to save face and I don’t doubt they will continue to do so. But we will have to wait and see, it’s something we haven’t been lucky enough to have to deal with as of yet.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
What makes us think they are going to protect Alina against the 3A? Having four skaters from the same training school be successful in the same season is probably more of a concern for them than protecting her honestly. That result would affect the whole of Russian skating and I can guarantee some bitter reactions should that be the result. In the past they have made obvious efforts to support other training schools to save face and I don’t doubt they will continue to do so. But we will have to wait and see, it’s something we haven’t been lucky enough to have to deal with as of yet.

She's the reigning OGM and WGM, and has a lot of fans and sponsorships right now, she's good publicity for the fed. They always try to protect the "champion" of the moment.

moriel

Record Breaker

While Team ET clearly showed they will give equal opportunities to all skaters, that is indeed not the case of Rusfed.
Rusfed is obviously biased towards certain skaters and teams (CSKA, Konstantinova), and will prop them at least internally, even if that means leaving out potentially stronger skaters.

BUT.
Even last year, despite a number of ambiguous declaration by russian FS coaching and skating elite, Alina was somewhat protected (they gave her Rostelecom and propped her at Rusnats).
My guess here is that Rusfed will keep protecting Alina, at least during the GP.
I would not be surprised if they sacrifice one or two of 3A to (1) protect Alina and (2) to ensure one of the Worlds/Euros spots go to CSKA or, if thats not the case, to Mishin.

Scott512

Record Breaker

I don't think there will be bitter reactions. Alina will get put in the Grand Prix events with Stasya, Sofia or Taurisina or Gubanova if they get Grand Prix events. Alina will face compariots she can beat she won't be facing 3A or Rika until the Grand Prix final. And she can beat them too without question. But it's also okay if they make things comfortable for Alina after her struggles at Nationals last year. I will certainly want to see her get a gold medal or too early in the season. What's the best way to do that? Getting her event she's clearly the best skater at early in the season like they did last year.

Scott512

Record Breaker
We also have to remember Alina was in the lead after the short program at Russian Nationals then bombef the free skate and that carried over in my opinion to Europeans a couple weeks later where she bombed the free skate there after leading after the short program. Then she had a few weeks off to regroup and train and really prepare for worlds and it worked out fine. The Russian Federation doesn't have to protect her at all. But I think they will give her Grand Prix assignments she will be happy with.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
We also have to remember Alina was in the lead after the short program at Russian Nationals then bombef the free skate and that carried over in my opinion to Europeans a couple weeks later where she bombed the free skate there after leading after the short program. Then she had a few weeks off to regroup and train and really prepare for worlds and it worked out fine. The Russian Federation doesn't have to protect her at all. But I think they will give her Grand Prix assignments she will be happy with.

well, at Russian nationals she gotten positive GOE for a choreo where she dropped her leg and almost fell and was throughly doused in PCS in the free. If this was not done, she'd may end up even lower and out of the European team.

So they were at least willing to give her a chance.

Scott512

Record Breaker
well, at Russian nationals she gotten positive GOE for a choreo where she dropped her leg and almost fell and was throughly doused in PCS in the free. If this was not done, she'd may end up even lower and out of the European team.

So they were at least willing to give her a chance.

What? Who would have been off euro team? Alina? Not last year because she was OGM and cream of the crop. This year? Maybe. It depends on a lot of things.

Scott512

Record Breaker
While Team ET clearly showed they will give equal opportunities to all skaters, that is indeed not the case of Rusfed.
Rusfed is obviously biased towards certain skaters and teams (CSKA, Konstantinova), and will prop them at least internally, even if that means leaving out potentially stronger skaters.

BUT.
Even last year, despite a number of ambiguous declaration by russian FS coaching and skating elite, Alina was somewhat protected (they gave her Rostelecom and propped her at Rusnats).
My guess here is that Rusfed will keep protecting Alina, at least during the GP.
I would not be surprised if they sacrifice one or two of 3A to (1) protect Alina and (2) to ensure one of the Worlds/Euros spots go to CSKA or, if thats not the case, to Mishin.
If your assessment is correct and i think it is then Alina has earned it.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
What makes us think they are going to protect Alina against the 3A?

I guess first person who will object against such "protection" will be Eteri - she refused to simplify Alina's programs as RusFed wanted: "Yes, the transitions are complicated, and the speed is high, but we are pushing her to develop".

VenusHalley

Final Flight
What? Who would have been off euro team? Alina? Not last year because she was OGM and cream of the crop. This year? Maybe. It depends on a lot of things.

But that long program on Nationals had NOT been cream of the crop. That was skim milk, no matter how much you love Alina. So she was held up, cause the fed hoped can she clean up her act and she did in the end. They had not been so nice to Tuktamysheva. And many others.

I mean.... OGM did nothing for Adelina and Julia...