2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 841 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
This exchange between the coaching team and Plushenko really isn't the only example of the style of writing I am referring to. I see it everywhere, even when Russian native speakers post here in English about certain things.

Let me add that I am a translator as well (but not for Russian) so I know from my studies that the general tone of text and language overall need to be considered as well. My conclusion (albeit perhaps incorrect) is that in Russian it is simply more normal to use such tone and that perhaps it should be toned down in translations, which it is not because they are never done professionally.

Make no assumptions here, these messages are directed as missiles to hit target hard and explosive, to inflict moral damage, to tarnish reputations.

And of course Colormyworld240 seconded. Gives an excellent overview of TAT's antipathy.

What was TAT's influence again over (mother) Medvyedeva and everything that happened post Olympics?

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
The reason for this was already mentioned above. Young athletes who are actively competing think mainly for becoming better and better in what they are doing, with the main goal to win major competitions. Retired athletes, especially the ones who are also coaching (or at least trying to..), make use of such statements because their agenda is to influence the politics in sports and at best to get more publicity, money and power.

I also don't think that this outburst of comments between those public personas (Team Tutberidze, Tarasova, Pluschenko) happened by accident or just because someone lost his nerves. There are less than 2 weeks until RussNationals, where we know who is going to grab the entire podium (and not just the 1st place) if everything works out the way we all probably wish. Also, I don't know how much influence this Navka woman has but if she indeed has a lot of power in figure skating politics, than it's understandable that people close to the Federation, who are on the losing site right now, start to get nervous about Eteri gaining such friends.

Navka herself isn't influential that much, but her Husband is Dmitry Peskov, making her part of Putin's inner circle, something that nobody else in FS can say.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
Make no assumptions here, these messages are directed as missiles to hit target hard and explosive, to inflict moral damage, to tarnish reputations.

And of course Colormyworld240 seconded. Gives an excellent overview of TAT's antipathy.

What was TAT's influence again over (mother) Medvyedeva and everything that happened post Olympics?

Eteri mishandles whole Medvedeva-Zagitova situation badly, she tried to keep Medvedeva happy (going as far as declaring both of them Champions) while she was gone the second final scores were announced. I doubt TAT had any deciding influence on situation, she would be leaving regardless.

More interesting is politics behind world championship selection last year,word is, Mishin was so sure to the very last second that Alina would refuse going that he didn't bother to use his influence to support Liza.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Eteri mishandles whole Medvedeva-Zagitova situation badly, she tried to keep Medvedeva happy (going as far as declaring both of them Champions) while she was gone the second final scores were announced. I doubt TAT had any deciding influence on situation, she would be leaving regardless.

More interesting is politics behind world championship selection last year,word is, Mishin was so sure to the very last second that Alina would refuse going that he didn't bother to use his influence to support Liza.

Yes, she probably could have handled this better, or delegated it. But being the person in charge, took responsibility nevertheless. But having your mother dying of brain cancer doesn't leave a daughter, mother herself, cold. Any idea how awful this looks, a malicious tumor inside a persons head, and to be witness to the agonising end of the life of the person you love most? No excuses, only explanations of what might possibly been influencing any decisions regarding staying or leaving.

Still, there must have been mediators between FFKKR, Sambo-70 and MosKomSport and BOrser/TCC, and I doubt TAT has the required qualities other than give (mother) Medvyedeva some grandmotherly advice.

katymay

Medalist
What ever you think of The Skating Lesson, (and often it makes me roll my eyes and groan), he has just posted an interesting take on all of the Russian drama, including many relationships I wasn't aware of, and facts I didn't know. (E.G. Eteri doesn't take the usual 30%, but in fact, 40% of all earnings. ).

Scott512

Record Breaker
I believe that alinas announcement is rather a big blow for eteri. It consolidateds her status as a tremendously successful girls children coach. Yet again her magic doesn't work for 17+. She will never reach the status of a legendary coach if she is not successful with let's say typically women body types (I know tursybayeva, but she is very special). 3a are her next chances. Lets see what happens. The odds are against her. But I believe trusova and aljona are her best chances yet to break this spell

She is a legendary coach.

Women's bodies in figure skating? Um okay. The days of Kaetlyn Osmond are long gone my friend. You can't win with a woman's body anymore like Stanislava, Gubanova, Pogo and Radianova.

And now it's just obvious that the Sambo 70 girls feel pressure once the younger ones are coming up they know they are going to be surpassed and it does something to them mentally.

As for Plushenko he is a living legend and for Eteri to go after him publicky is perplexing. Brave. But perplexing.

halulupu

Final Flight

Women's bodies in figure skating? Um okay. The days of Kaetlyn Osmond are long gone my friend. You can't win with a woman's body anymore like Stanislava, Gubanova, Pogo and Radianova.

And now it's just obvious that the Sambo 70 girls feel pressure once the younger ones are coming up they know they are going to be surpassed and it does something to them mentally.

As for Plushenko he is a living legend and for Eteri to go after him publicky is perplexing. Brave. But perplexing.
She indeed is legendary. But not the most legendary yet and that is what she is striving for. Pompous TAT is still seen as that person. she is simply not successful with grown ups. I agree with you that we might never see a Osmond typish world champion again.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany

And that right there is the problem , because woman figure skating should not be all about girls bodies but also about ladies who do have a more womanly body. It is just in the nature of the body to develop and we see it with Liza that she can jump a quad with a womanly body . It should be both a sport for the younger girls and for the older grown up ladies.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
She indeed is legendary. But not the most legendary yet and that is what she is striving for. Pompous TAT is still seen as that person. she is simply not successful with grown ups. I agree with you that we might never see a Osmond typish world champion again.

And that’s the mainreason for the animosity, I believe. Eteri is reaching for that crown and TAT cannot beat it. Simple as that.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yuna Kim announces a break, South Korea supports her and thanks her for winning an olympic gold for their country. Kaetlyn Osmond announces a break, Canadian skating champions, past and present, come out to support and give highlights in her career. Mao Asada and Carolina Kostner are backed by federations who love and support them, give encouragement during their lows and applaud them for their fight and comebacks. Adelina Sotnikova wins olympic gold then takes a break, and Russian skating higher-ups applaud and support her.

Alina Zagitova wins olympic gold - the only individual gold for Russia in the entire olympics, and the most influential person in Russian figure skating, TAT, comments in the live broadcast that the judges have it wrong and Alina doesn't deserve it. TAT goes on national television to tell Alina's father that she loves another skater more. Alina has a meltdown at worlds, TAT tells the world "see, we can't depend on her". Alina has a difficult season and struggles, TAT comments that she doesn't have fire in her eyes and doesn't skate well. Alina wins worlds, post olympics and post puberty which to my knowledge no other Russian lady has done, and TAT says a few nice things. Alina decides to take a break, and TAT says she didn't do much in her career like she isn't the most decorated Russian lady figure skater bringing the olympic and world titles to the country. She also says Alina won't return because I'm sure she knows more than Alina herself, though she seems to have no idea about Adelina who hasn't skated in many seasons. Add in some other "famous skaters" telling the media that Alina is just a money making pond.

And still people are all like "WhY iS aLiNa So StReSsEd AlL tHe TiMe".

Remember, Alina is probably one of the least controversial skaters. She's never said anything bad about any other skater, coach, choreographer, or official. She's never even pointed out her displeasure with scoring and calls like many others have done. She doesn't give any attitude when scores come up. Even when asked, she's never said anything offensive about anyone.

This would never fly in any other country.

This is a most remarkable post. I say thank you in three different languages English Russian and French. Thanks spasiba merci

Scott512

Record Breaker
And that right there is the problem , because woman figure skating should not be all about girls bodies but also about ladies who do have a more womanly body. It is just in the nature of the body to develop and we see it with Liza that she can jump a quad with a womanly body . It should be both a sport for the younger girls and for the older grown up ladies.

How do we rectify this come up with two different sports within one sport? Girls are getting smaller and lighter and I don't see that changing. Perhaps a technical competition and an artistic competition. Or someone could win medals for artistry someone can win medals for technical abilities and then have an overall winner when you combine both categories together. I would like to see this at the major competitions where medals are awarded for the short program separate medals are awarded for the free program and then another medal awarded for the overall medalists. When you're talkin woman Lee bodies with figure skaters the older they get the harder it is to lose weight and stay as trim as possible. Some might even say that's not very healthy. But whatever Athens we will all sit back and enjoy it and be frustrated by it.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
And that’s the mainreason for the animosity, I believe. Eteri is reaching for that crown and TAT cannot beat it. Simple as that.

Eteri already has it - TAT never had that level of popularity, neither as a competitor nor as a coach, as Eteri has now (Test Skates showed that to everyone who wasn't aware still).

Casual

On the Ice
Question to FS experts - are drugs which delay puberty (delay growth spurts etc.) considered "doping"?

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
can anybody kindly explain what does this 'womanly body' term entail ?

As far as I understand, Tursinbayeva's body isn't 'womanly enough', so is where any requirements for a body to be considered as 'womanly'? (sorry for horrible language).

Anna and Liza for example, have about same height right now.

and how is it possible to objectively judge artistry ?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
This is getting seriously ugly.

Eeh, Tarasova says „Go to hell“ pretty often, so I‘m not really surprised.
She said the same thing about comments about Medvedeva‘s pink costume, later on she used this phrase again somewhere. It’s her usual lingo.

Casual

On the Ice
and how is it possible to objectively judge artistry ?

That's actually rather simple, for an expert, or someone trained in appreciating art. It's usually clear like night and day, "true artistry" and "musicality" vs. absence thereof and mediocrity.

This ability (to discern and appreciate artistry, musicality, virtuosity of performance etc.) can be trained. IMHO, the reason some judges do not "see" it is not because they are tone-deaf or blind, but because they are corrupt.