2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 116 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
No don't worry, she (and Kromykh) are listed on the novice team, and it just mean they don't have as much funding as the junior team. But believe it or not, Shcherbakova was in the same position one year ago. And also, there's only like 6 girls listed on the junior team, and they invite a lot more than that to test skates. Usacheva will definitely be invited to test skates.

Shcherbakova didn't make the junior national team for a different reason though... She was injured and took almost a whole year off, they couldn't let her on the junior team, when she almost missed the whole season.

Usacheva and Khromykh, I thought they had quite a good season, so I was surprised they didn't make the cut in terms of funding.
But I agree that they still have a high chance for jgp assignments nevertheless.

moriel

Record Breaker
Ehh last year both Samodurova and Panenkova were both of the main junior team if I recall correctly and they both got assignments though Samodurova was only assigned one to originally. Does anyone have the team lost from last year because if I remember correctly Serafima and Alena Leonova were on that team and neither of them got assignments initially though I could be completely wrong about that though. Regardless I don’t think that is an absolute guarantee that Tarusina won’t get a senior Grand Prix—isn’t she above Gubanova in the ranking.

No guarantee, but overall looks likely.

This year is actually tricky, because we never had something like this before. I mean, we have 6 skaters who could medal at any worlds in the senior team.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I am relieved and happy for Gubanova! I was nervous she'd be ignored, but she was smart to go to Buianova. Now it's up to her to make a name for herself.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
GS Staff, may I ask what's with the random deleting of posts? :scratch2:

Payako

Rinkside
Yayyyy looks like Gubanova is likely to get GP spots.I'm glad Buyanova is working now😂😂I hope she works at nationals again and send Nastya to Euros and Worlds.Show Tutberidze what you have😋Show the true power of CSKA!

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yayyyy looks like Gubanova is likely to get GP spots.I'm glad Buyanova is working now😂😂I hope she works at nationals again and send Nastya to Euros and Worlds.Show Tutberidze what you have😋Show the true power of CSKA!
But does Buyanova have coaches that can teach Nastya triple axle and quad? Her legs are stronger than 3As legs so shouldn't that make learning these toughest jumps easier for her? Or is having more muscle and weight a hindrance for a triple axel or quad?

Who is Buyanovas #2 lady now?

Eteris girls are setting the bar so high. It will be interesting to see if any of the other Russinas can catch them at some point or will they have to wait for Eteri girls to fall back and to fall in competitions to beat them? Hmmm. At this point it seem they would have to wait for eteri girls to fail for other Russians outside their group to catch them or beat them in competition.

It's going to be exciting it's going to be thrilling it's going to be emotional next season just in Russia alone with the ladies. Get your popcorn ready!

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Sadly, I can't see her learning 3a or a quad. Her jump technique is kind of wonky. But I would love to be surprised! At least this season, I want her to go out on the SGP, land everything (3Lz-3Lp, 3F-3T) and be happy with that. Her SS and other PCS will finally be recognized (no offense to Samodurova, but Gubanova is way ahead in terms of PCS and really in TES). She can stand out.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Sadly, I can't see her learning 3a or a quad. Her jump technique is kind of wonky. But I would love to be surprised! At least this season, I want her to go out on the SGP, land everything (3Lz-3Lp, 3F-3T) and be happy with that. Her SS and other PCS will finally be recognized (no offense to Samodurova, but Gubanova is way ahead in terms of PCS and really in TES). She can stand out.

Yeah I agree that Gubanova is better, I like her jumps better than Samodurova's too.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I pretty much agree. I hope Nastya can surprise us. But let's be honest a year from now it will be hard for a Russian girl to medal in a big competition if she doesn't at least have a triple axel. We shall see.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Strange that Khromykh and Usacheva didn’t get into junior reserves but Frolova did. After all, Khromykh and Usacheva were first and second at RCF and Frolova was third.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I just watched two videos of Frolova, and without even knowing who her coach is, I could tell she is a Panova student!! Same entrances to lutz and flip like Kanysheva. She lands her jumps, for sure, but... I'm glad Kanysheva switched to Eteri.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
Strange that Khromykh and Usacheva didn’t get into junior reserves but Frolova did. After all, Khromykh and Usacheva were first and second at RCF and Frolova was third.

If I remember correctly from last year someone said it was better money to be on novice main team than junior reserve. For example Tarakanova and Sherbakova also was on the novice team last year (and Tarakanova also two years ago I think). From what Ive seen over the past year they are verry likely to get at least one JGP, or at the verry least be invited to test skates (if they are of junior age that is)

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I wonder why Valieva is on the junior team and Usacheva & Khromykh on the novice team. Maybe because she has a 4T+3T and is novice champion? But Khromykh is Jr Cup of Russia final champ and no doubt her and usacheva are both working on quads

Happy Skates

Final Flight
I wonder why Valieva is on the junior team and Usacheva & Khromykh on the novice team. Maybe because she has a 4T+3T and is novice champion? But Khromykh is Jr Cup of Russia final champ and no doubt her and usacheva are both working on quads

I think part of it is just how big of a reputation Valieva is getting as a rising star. She's the only one her age to be on the junior team, so I'm guessing its rare to be on the junior team without having competed internationally. I know that popularity and reputation are probably not technically supposed to be criteria, but I guess RusFed thinks its good to support "stars", and there is just so much hype around Kamila.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I think part of it is just how big of a reputation Valieva is getting as a rising star. She's the only one her age to be on the junior team, so I'm guessing its rare to be on the junior team without having competed internationally. I know that popularity and reputation are probably not technically supposed to be criteria, but I guess RusFed thinks its good to support "stars", and there is just so much hype around Kamila.

Kamila not only won novice nationals, but also 2nd Junior Nationals, older age Moscow champs, Moscow cup and Moscow open last season. Unfortunately she missed Jr Nats and Cup Final due to injury, but she won every competition she entered last season except Cup of Russia stage 2 (3rd) and younger age Moscow champs (2nd, her first comp coming back from injury). I don’t think the government funding is based off quad practice videos.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand

I hope they don’t hype her up too much. I hope the pressure doesn’t get to her :/

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Barring injury, I already call the Olympic Gold Medal to Valieva. She's strongest on the second mark, yet is probably on the first mark too.