2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 388 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Brian Orser: competition among the Russians will help Medvyedeva

Brian Orser: competition among Russians will help Medvedeva step forward

Test Skates of the Russian skaters took place last weekend in Luzhniki. The main attention of the audience was expectedly riveted to eight singles, including a two-time silver medalist of the Olympic Games, two-time world champion Yevgeniya Medvyedeva. The nineteen year old Russian woman was not without errors in both appearances, and on Sunday evening RIA Novosti correspondent Alexander Bokulev met with her coach Brian Orser to talk about the athlete’s readiness, harmony in training and fierce competition in the new season.

Piece of cake

Q: You arrived at the Test Skates just in time for the free program. Where did you manage to watch Zhenya's short?
A: I was in Riga at the junior Grand Prix stage and after the competition I immediately flew to Moscow. Zhenya's short I'd already watched on YouTube.

Q: And what impressions did you have of her performances?
A: Of course, not her best routine. But in general, everything went well, we overcame a very important week. Zhenya has wonderful programs, amazing choreography, she performed some complex elements. Yes, she made a couple of mistakes, but this is only the beginning of September ...

Q: What do you think about Zhenya's physical condition?
A: I would say that Yevgeniya is now in good condition. If we talk about jumping, speed, I can honestly give a positive feedback. Yes, you can still add, and for myself I received the necessary and important information about Zhenya’s readiness, from which we will proceed further. But even without her best routine, her skating looks good.

The wise Tamara Moskvina taught me what I always say at the beginning of the season: the first competitions can be compared with the famous saying about the first pancake (smiles). Sometimes it turns out not bad, but usually it's far from ideal. At that moment you understand how much more flour, sugar, salt you need, stuff like that (laughs). These routines are now for me - just like the first pancake.

(Drinks are brought in, Brian with a smile says to the waiter "thank you" in Russian.)

So, those present errors can be corrected. Everything is good. It is good that we have the opportunity to see them like this, in this sense our mission has been completed. For the Federation (FFKKR), the organisation of such Open Test Skates is a reasonable step, as they are demanding of everything. True, we could notice that many skaters made errors, including very serious ones. And this should be treated with understanding, because for the majority, a very early stage of preparation is now going on.

Q: Yevgeniya told me that you called her free program “Memoirs of a Geisha” the best in her career.
A: Yes, I really think so.

Q: Please explain your opinion.
A: Firstly, Yevgeniya worked with the wonderful Shae-Lynn Bourne for the first time. She, as an exceptional choreographer in the world of figure skating, was able to introduce new subtleties into the movements of Yevgeniya, to refresh her style. I am sure that this music, the manner of performance is exactly what Zhenya needs now. She is no longer a little girl who is fifteen years old, but a young sensual girl. It seems to me that in this program, Yevgeniya is revealed from a completely new perspective, feeling like a woman.
Secondly, you know how sincerely she loves everything connected with Japan. She has a huge fan community in this country, and Zhenya herself really understands this culture, feels herself in it. She did an excellent job, after which I can call this program her best performance.

Q: What do you think, is there a future image for Yevgeniya that will be as organic?
A: Honestly, I don’t know (laughs). We can never predict what will happen to us next, including mentally. So first you need to skate this season. But I want to note that this program is the whole idea of ​​Zhenya. Usually the best ideas are precisely those that are born from the skaters themselves. Of course, I was also familiar with the music from Memoirs of a Geisha, so I thought it was a great choice. I admit, I am very pleased that Zhenya came to this herself, that together with Shae-Lynn we managed to realize this in terms of choreography.
As for further plans, possible images ... I cannot be sure of this, there are no ideas yet. We'll see. We always need to focus on what we have now, to invest all our energy in this season and these images. Only then can we start thinking about something new.

The most competitive environment

Q: Brian, did you miss the competitions? What do they mean to you as a coach now?
A: You know, even as a skater, I especially loved competition, the competitive spirit, but at some point it came to the realisation that it was time to finish this story. I think I was a good athlete, which helped me enjoy the time, but now I do not miss it. I am training now, and I like this work. I try to get the same feelings fromthis as when standing on ice.

I love figure skating. I still like the process of competitions, shows. I like to share this atmosphere with my wards, to show something new. I look forward to it and am always passionate. It is very important to observe how the audience, the judges react, whether they see the progress of the athlete. I can say that at such moments we always give all our best: figure skaters, coaches - my whole team. Yes, sometimes not everything goes according to plan, and at such moments it’s hard for everyone. But all we can do is to carry on.

Q: Speaking of competition, it's extremely high in the Russian women's team now.
A: Yeah, just fantastic (laughs). Standards are very high, the bar is now much higher. New faces appear in figure skating, and this is very important for competitions. Competition is always good, now older girls, such as Yevgeniya and Yelizaveta, have the opportunity to gain new experience and take a step forward for themselves.
A new generation of girls wants to be number one, their technique, jumping is impressive. And just because of that, figure skating becomes more interesting. The fight is gaining momentum, and in such conditions we need to become more prudent in order to remain willing to be on equal footing.

Q: You spoke with Zhenya specifically about this?
A: Of course. She understands who is now in direct competition with her. Naturally, from time to time, new faces appear, new stars. We need not to deviate from our own path but to follow the course that we have chosen. There is no time and opportunity to look back; we must do everything in our power. The Russian environment of figure skating perfectly contributes to this, because it, like no other country, sets a tough barrier to reaching the level of the World Championships.

(Medvyedeva's other coach, Tracey Wilson, comes in for a couple of seconds with a smile, she was present with the Russian woman during both days.)

Q: Let's just touch on your tandem. Can you say that there is complete understanding between you, Tracy and Zhenya now?
A: Yes, I'm sure of that. There is a special harmony between us now. Of course, in our first year of collaboration, there were some conflicts of interest. You know, butting foreheads. But this is normal, and now we are on the same track. It seems to me that Yevgeniya began to better understand our approach to training, especially last summer.

Of course, I can’t speak as confidently as possible for her. But I felt that she could not choose her direction of movement for a very long time, literally stuck at a crossroads. Over the past year, Zhenya was sometimes drawn in different directions: she was torn between the usual system of training and the new style that we proposed. Now I see Yevgeniya has accepted our position, and this is very important. She trusts us, so together we can do everything.

Q: And what do you want to see from Zhenya in the new season in the first place?
A: I had the opportunity to talk with some officials who have been watching herover the past two days. They all noted how much Yevgeniya has transformed. I would draw a parallel with one's children, even though I do not have any. We may not notice how they grow, but it is worth seeing the one whom I have not seen for six months, and you are like this: “Oh God, that was you waving at me!”
This turns out a funny analogy (smiles). So, those with whom I spoke, last saw Zhenya during the World Cup - just about six months ago. Now they are reacting so brightly to her transformation! And I'm also sure she has become better, but I relate to this without such a wow effect. So she added speed, and now she began to move differently ... Well, that's fine (laughs).

Perhaps the point is that I am very critical. I am really happy about her changes, but there is always room to grow further. You can get better again and again. Well, now it's just the beginning of September, and everyone understands how huge the work ahead is. If they could talk about one hundred percent readiness now, everything would be too simple (smiles). We need to be at our peak in December (at the championship of Russia), and then in March (at the World Championship). Now they continue to support her, and I am sincerely glad of this. But we remember how much work is ahead.

Lutz and Salchow

Q: If we talk about specific technical elements, you devote the most time to the quad Salchow?
A: Oh yes, we give this a lot of time and energy.

Q:Forty minutes a day?
A: Right. This is very difficult, but we are taking new steps forward, trying to conquer such a peak (indicating the special rod for jumping with a gesture). I’m sure that Yevgeniya can do it. We know that it needs to be ready physically. It is important that Zhenya herself is full of determination. She works hard on her muscles, she is very competent in nutrition. Together we continue this path and achieve our goal. What if at the championship of Russia? (smiles) No one knows yet.
In this sense, the Salchow is the best jump, because the simplest. If we talk about quadruples now, while you are young, this jump should become yours. So let's see.

Q: And how difficult is it for you as a coach to work on the wrong (inner) edge of Yevgeniya on the Lutz?
A: Oh, it's insanely difficult and nervous (laughs).

Q: More complicated than with the Salchow?
A: Maybe (laughs). Because adjusting the performance of the Flip and Lutz, achieving their stability is extremely difficult. These are elements where details are important from the very beginning, on the development of which everything depends. When I was young, I also had to learn Lutz: first single, then double, then triple ... A lot of attention was paid to this jump.
And now, as a coach, I also try to work on it especially carefully, as I understand how the skater feels. Sometimes the repulsion, rotation of the body, the necessary trajectory may seem simple, but it is not. A lot here depends on the old habit, on how you did it before.
Of course, I expect that in the new season Yevgeniya will retain the outer edge during the performance of her Lutz. But there is progress, but so far it still often resembles her former manner. Some callers may report a faulty edge; some may assume that everything is in order. I still want to achieve perfection for her in this component, and we are working a lot on this at our rink. Yevgeniya may make some mistakes, but still continues to move forward. She, like me, knows that she is capable of the best.

Q: Given the complexity of your training sessions, did you have any doubts about the correctness of Zhenya’s decision to agree to the role of ambassador of the Russian national team at next year’s Summer Olympics in Tokyo?
A: Good question. I did not have a conversation with her about this, but I am proud of her patriotism and attitude towards the team. For our part, we will do our best to support her in this role so important for sports. I am sure that thanks to many of our contacts in Japan, we will be able to implement it in the schedule of her training there.

Q: I hope you really have no problem with that. Let us conclude by going back to the immediate plans. This season, Yevgeniya will perform at the Grand Prix stage in Moscow. And will you be pleased to return to Russia?
A: Of course! I have a multiple entry visa, so I can just go back and forth. Returning to these competitions will be great, because I already visited them several times with Yuzuru Hanyu, Xavier Fernandez. And with Zhenya, we have the Russian championships ahead of us. Speaking of the Moscow stage, I think that she herself is delighted with the opportunity to perform here.
-----

Georgya

On the Ice
I checked the number of views on youtube - the russian official channel that brodcast the test skate. I'm surprised that Alina beat Alexandra. The numbers don't mean anything, i just think is a cool stat :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/1tv/videos

Alina Zagitova

SP > 104.000
LP > 313.000

Alexandra Trusova

SP > 38.000
LP > 244.000

Evgenia Medvedeva

SP > 44.000
LP > 196.000

Anna Scherbakova

SP > 33.000
LP > 150.000

Alena Kostornaya

SP > 22.000
LP > 103.000

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

SP > 12.000
LP > 94.000

I don't see a method to verify PCS. Completely subjective marks.

And?

PCSs are the consensus of the judges about how well each skater performed. The judges will give high marks to the skaters that they think performed exceptionally well. Somewhat lower marks to the skaters that they think performed not quite so well. This is the nature of a judged sport.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Wouldn't it be fair to say that anything can happen, but the only information we have - what we see currently - it will be extremely difficult for Alina or Evgenia or any non 3A/quadster to make it to the Olympics as a part of the Russian team? By the olympic year, it's not just the 3A, but the current quadsters Kamila and Alena would also be senior. That's 5 skaters with those elements, without counting Liza's 3As and Alena Kostornaia's skating. Injuries can happen, but the likelihood of 3 or more of them making it is quite high. The competition level has increase significantly from what it's been in the past.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I don't think it is necessary to exclude anybody from a quad/3A club now and for all. Even Gracie Gold tries a quad.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Zhenya in second after the short program with a score of 75.14. :)

mathlike

On the Ice
Zhenya in second after the short program with a score of 75.14. :)
Her jumps were pretty good and rotated, the program is not minimalistic but empty though. The costume is horrendous, Kostner looked like a million dollars in hers green overall compared to this monstrosity. :scard7:

Vandevska

Medalist
I'm just super excited to see the FS tomorrow. I'm absolutely in love with that program and I can't wait.

Vandevska

Medalist
Her jumps were pretty good and rotated, the program is not minimalistic but empty though. The costume is horrendous, Kostner looks like a million dollars in hers green overall compared to Zhenya. :palmf:

All I care is that it's not empty for the judges, no one else's opinion doesn't matter, as a matter of fact.

As for the costume, I'm not a fan either.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Wouldn't it be fair to say that anything can happen, but the only information we have - what we see currently - it will be extremely difficult for Alina or Evgenia or any non 3A/quadster to make it to the Olympics as a part of the Russian team?

Alina and Evgenia both made the team last year, and Liza with her 3A didn't. It will be hard for anyone to make the Russian Olympic Team in Ladies, but I don't think Alina and Evgenia are at a huge disadvantage because they have a lot of other great qualities that make up for the lack of a quad.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Seriously though, can you imagine Eteri letting Evgenia step on the ice dressed like that? :confused2:

What were they thinking?

They either need to get rid of the blue fabric, or use much more of it (so it is like a wing). Rip it from the leg anyways, it's distracting.

I am pretty sure they will alter it. Well, I hope so.

Vandevska

Medalist
Seriously though, can you imagine Eteri letting Evgenia step on the ice dressed like that? :confused2:

What were they thinking?

We have a saying that (very) roughly would be "You put Eteri in every stew" and I wish I could further explain but I can't, but that's how I feel about this comment....

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
I for one like her costume, it's something different, and it does work with the music. I love the top of her suit.