Weir vs. Buttle? | Golden Skate

Weir vs. Buttle?

Laura_B

Rinkside
They've both done very well with COP, they're both quad-less (technically speaking, though Jeff has done a quad/triple in competition before, and they've both done it in practice), they're both very artisitc and musical with great choreography, and they've both done well in the grand prix series this year. So who has the edge? Discuss. :)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lauara B. good question. I don't have an answer right now. I am happy that the COP has helped them to shine.

Dee

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Weir has the edge because his jumps, including his 3A, are consistently secure with great flowout. That is why he was the #1 qualifier for the GPF.

Buttle continues to have problems with his 3A. Sometimes he lands them, sometimes he doesn't.

Laura_B

Rinkside
What if they both skate clean? I think in that case that Jeff would have the edge because of the complexity and uniqueness of his choreography. That's just my opinion though, and I haven't seen either of them skate live.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Buttle and Weir are both very good skaters. I like both of their styles(Buttle a little more). I would have to give the go ahead to Buttle since he does have a quad and has done one in competition. I think his choreography this year is one of the best of the men. If Weir could show us a quad in his program then the nod would go to him.

ceg15

On the Ice
Jeff-He is a much more interesting, beautiful skater to watch. And he said in an interview at GPF that he intends to put the quad in later in the season because he knows he needs it. :)

Weir is a great skater as well but I think Jeff definitely has more of an edge.
JMO

Last edited:
I think Buttle is a marvelous skater with complete skills in every department. About quads, Weir hasn't yet landed one in competition so all we can do is wait and see. I have a feeling that the ISU will tweak the CoP before the Olympics to give more weight to a successful quad. I think by next year it will become more difficult to win gold without one than has been the case this season.

It is interesting to me that Jeff and Michelle Kwan, both coached by Raphael Aruturian, are taking the same approach, Jeff with his quad and Michelle with her triple-triples. Easy does it. Don't destroy your body practicing a hundred a day, but keep your hand in, building for the big shows. In the mean time, perfect everything else.

I think that's a winning strategy both in the short and long terms.

Mathman

It's the battle of the lyrical skaters: Buttle v. Weir. (add Min to this group)

The battle of the 'show skaters': Plushenko v. Sandhu (add Janhnke to this)

The battle of the 'macho skaters': Weiss v. Li (add Joubert to this group)

Any other groupings? and who would you add to any of these groups?

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
I have not seen either one live, so I have to base my opinion on what I have seen on TV.

My nod goes to Weir. He too is very lyrical, yet he is very consistent in his jumps. They seem to come easy. Jeff's triple axel is not consistent and his jumps appear just a bit labored to me. Both have great choreography that interprets the music very effectively, and when I am watching them, I don't care if neither lands a quad. However, since this is a sport, I feel that they need to master the quad in combination. A well executed quad does add excitement to a program and I would not like to see it go away.

Vash

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
It's the battle of the lyrical skaters: Buttle v. Weir. (add Min to this group)

The battle of the 'show skaters': Plushenko v. Sandhu (add Janhnke to this)

The battle of the 'macho skaters': Weiss v. Li (add Joubert to this group)
if we're talking beyond 2005, I'd add Goebel to "macho", and Klimkin to "lyrical".

nicole_l

Final Flight
Lyrical skaters:
Savoie

Show skaters:
Lambiel, Klimkin, Bradley, Lysacek

Macho skaters:
Goebel, Lindemann

Anyone else? I can't think of many lyrical skaters.

^ I agree with Ptichka that not all are contenders in 2005. Obviously the Americans I said here aren't, and Klimkin's out, I think.

Last edited:

GlitterTwist

Rinkside
I would say Weir has the edge over Buttle. They have not competed head to head yet but we will see at worlds. Johnny is marvelously consistent without the quad and I'm confident that when he does finally put in the quad it will be beautiful. Not like people who feel pressured to try it and fall all the time. When Johnny feels ready he will put it in and when Johnny feels ready he will be ready. I personally enjoy Johnny's skating more and I like his choreography just a little better then Jeff's. I also think his costume this year is very cool, at least for the long program. Jeff and Johnny both have awesome spins but I like Johnny's footwork better then Jeff's.

Edit: My two favorite skaters are Johnny and Joubert, quite a contrast in styles :laugh: Complete opposites of the spectrum. While I don't particularly like Brian's programs this year I absolutely LOVED his Matrix program last year and his costume was rockin :rock:

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Don't like either of their skate style, too ladieish. I like Lambial, Savior, Rayn's skating better, but they are not consistant enough. Plushin is the one now for me with Lambial sitting out the GP.

But I would put Wier ahead of Jeff. Wier has overall more sounding jump skill than Buttel. The choreography of program is really depends on the choreographer. IMO, Wier has the technicall ability if not better to pull off the whatever complecated program that Jeff skated.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Plushy, has the gold medal...So it will be Weir and Buttle fighting for the silver..If they both skate clean I would say Weir will take it.. His 3a3t is huge!!! His jumps have better flowout and speed than Buttle's.. Although, I think Buttle's inbetweens are brilliant.. Very interesting, creative manuvors in his choreography.. Weir is a close second.. Actually, if you leave the jumps out I would say Buttle 1st, Weir second, and Plushy thrid.. I love to watch Plushy, but it always looks like the same movements and same choreography in all his programs.. Just different music.. Back to the topic!!! If Jonny Weir stays on his feet....He will be the silver medalist................

Vash01

Medalist
equestrianguy said:
Plushy, has the gold medal...So it will be Weir and Buttle fighting for the silver..If they both skate clean I would say Weir will take it.. His 3a3t is huge!!! His jumps have better flowout and speed than Buttle's.. Although, I think Buttle's inbetweens are brilliant.. Very interesting, creative manuvors in his choreography.. Weir is a close second.. Actually, if you leave the jumps out I would say Buttle 1st, Weir second, and Plushy thrid.. I love to watch Plushy, but it always looks like the same movements and same choreography in all his programs.. Just different music.. Back to the topic!!! If Jonny Weir stays on his feet....He will be the silver medalist................

Plushy has been around a lot longer than these two guys, so it is not surprising that you feel he is doing the same thing. Actually his choreography in the Godfather program is quite different- as much as a skater can be.

Vash

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think that Weir has the finest jump technique in the Men's field, with height and run-out on nearly all of his jumps, including combinations, although the Flip sometimes gets away from him. IMO Buttle live has the same flow that Weir has live, more complex choreography overall, and equal spinning ability, but I don't think that will make up for the difference in jump technique. It will be heaven if they both skate their best in Moscow. Sadly, Klimkin will be missing, so Worlds this year doesn't have the potential to be perfect :)

equestrianguy said:
No contest when Plush is in there. However much I like Weir and Buttle there are other skaters for silver and bronze. Think Griazev, Sandhu, another American, Honda, Min, Li, Joubert, Lambiel. It has to be one HOT Worlds in Moscow for silver and bronze.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
No contest when Plush is in there. However much I like Weir and Buttle there are other skaters for silver and bronze. Think Griazev, Sandhu, another American, Honda, Min, Li, Joubert, Lambiel. It has to be one HOT Worlds in Moscow for silver and bronze.

Joe

I disagree that Plushenko is a certainty for the gold. On any given day anybody can beat anybody. Sandhu, Joubert, Weir, Lambiel, and may be Buttle could win
if Plushenko makes mistakes or is too injured to skate. All it would take is a fall on a quad or a triple axel combination to level the field.

I don't think Griazev is a medal contender yet. He has been out most of the season due to injury. Sandhu always has the potential to win any color medal. If Goebel is in good shape, he could be a contender. Min Zhang is good but he probably won't get on the podium. Neither will Li, unless most others fall 3 times at least. Under the COP the chances of the jumpers are even less than they were before this year. Lindemann could be on the list of medal contenders simply because he is the reigning world bronze medalist. Also the #3 American (Weiss?) could be a medal contender.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I personally like both skaters Johnny is is classical while Buttle is innovative. I agree it is way too early to predict the men's podium. As of now I would agree that Plushenko is by far the favorite for the gold. And Buttle and Weir are the major contendors for silver and bronze. However a lot could happen, Joubert colld come back. However as of now his skati9ng this season does nothing for me.

Last edited: