Weir vs. Buttle? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Weir vs. Buttle?

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Mathman said:
I don't think of Johnny's skating style as "feminine" at all. On the contrary, to me, he pushes through all of his movements with sustained stength and vigor. That is why he is so smooth, IMO.
Mathman

Agreed. Smooth is a good description. He's got some very big jumps, too- I'm thinking of the 3-axel. I'm hoping I get to see him do a quad at practices in Portland just to see what it looks like, but I doubt it given his injury.

Mathman said:
Yukina Ota. :love:
Mathman

Agree :agree:

Mathman said:
I don't think of Johnny's skating style as "feminine" at all. On the contrary, to me, he pushes through all of his movements with sustained stength and vigor. That is why he is so smooth, IMO.To me, a feminine style would be mincing little steps, like Michelle's little running steps at the opening of Lyra Angelica. Or delicate posing like Yukina Ota. :love:
Mathman

mincing little steps! :laugh: I can't think of any skater who would use little mincing steps except that Canadian Pairs skater when he switched roles with his partner and that was strictly for fun.

I really think Johnny and Jeffrey have that smooth style with excellent technique in their elements. Not unlike Todd Eldridge in his day, but I think the two Jays have gone beyond Todd. And why choose between them? Let's see how they do in the worlds (supposing that they both qualify for the Worlds).

Joe

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
It's the battle of the lyrical skaters: Buttle v. Weir. (add Min to this group)

The battle of the 'show skaters': Plushenko v. Sandhu (add Janhnke to this)

The battle of the 'macho skaters': Weiss v. Li (add Joubert to this group)

Any other groupings? and who would you add to any of these groups?

Joe

Lyrical --> Buttle
Show --> Sandhu
Macho --> Joubert

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
I think the panel seems relatively split, so I think we should stop saying the same things (ie. Johnny's 3a is smooth but we all know that now!) I think we should let it play out at worlds and then decide if we think whoever comes out on top did so rightfully. Have the two men ever competed against each other before?

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
doubleaxelcm said:
Lyrical --> Buttle
Show --> Sandhu
Macho --> Joubert

Lyrical- Buttle, Michelle, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, Torvill/Dean
Show- Sandhu, Sasha, Sale/Pelletier, Denkova/Staviysky
Macho- Joubert, Tonya Harding, Hough/Ladret, Lobacheva/Averbukh
Delicate- Weir, Baiul, Shen/Zhao (not their throws LOL), I can't find a dance team delicate enough =(

aviva_dawn

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
It's the battle of the lyrical skaters: Buttle v. Weir. (add Min to this group)

The battle of the 'show skaters': Plushenko v. Sandhu (add Janhnke to this)

The battle of the 'macho skaters': Weiss v. Li (add Joubert to this group)

Any other groupings? and who would you add to any of these groups?

Joe

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Joesitz, you hit the nail right on the head!

Question: Where would you put Lysacek, van der Perren and Lindemann?

aviva_dawn said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Joesitz, you hit the nail right on the head!

Question: Where would you put Lysacek, van der Perren and Lindemann?

Lysacek - A wannabee Macho but he has work to do.

van der Perren - Lyrical. He should go to Arutunian and he'll be the next Abt.

Lindemann - Show . He wants to entertain and he does when he is on.

Thisthing - Delicate Dance Team. If you've seen the OD of the Kerrs it is Astaire and Rogers. Just beautiful ballroom dancing without the phony passion.

Joe

IcePrincess

Rinkside
Go Weir! :rock: Weir would definitely win! He is so talented- his jumps just float in the air, and he has the best spins out of all the men skaters! And he is sooo elegant! I Know that Weir will be the next Olympic Champion! :yes: :biggrin:

S

SkateFan4Life

Great question. IMHO, both Johnny Weir and Jeffrey Buttle are great skaters, and they are the best male skaters in the USA and Canada, respectively. Both have strong jumps, flow, choregraphy, and artistry.

I would give Weir a slight edge because he takes artistry to the max. He has incredible spins, speed, and flow, and he has the "look" of a champion. On the other hand, Buttle has landed a quad in competition, and that certainly gives him an edge, technically. With the new scoring system, however, the better all-around skater has the edge, and I would still give this to Weir.

The Weir - Buttle rivalvy could become another friendly US/Canadian rivalry along the lines of Boitano - Orser. Great competition, performances, and excellence.

Wow - we have a lot of wonderful years ahead! đź‘Ť