Skating Comps...Live or Taped? | Golden Skate

Skating Comps...Live or Taped?

R.D.

Record Breaker
This may be sort of a silly thread to start, but I've noticed that a lot of people seem to complain about the typical 1-2 week delay in performances. Yet, I hear that when coverage of an event IS live, people don't want to watch it and tape it to view later (nerves, apprehension for their favorite(s), etc.). So I want to ask people, if you don't like events live, or if you don't like them delayed, then how do you want them broadcast? I realize there will be those who like live coverage and those who like delayed coverage, but what would be the ideal middle ground? A 2 hour delay? 1 day delay? Voice your thoughts here...

nicole_l

Final Flight
I like watching skating live. I definitely get into it a lot more, but maybe that's just because the more important competitions of the year are usually live.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am a girl who likes to be there rinkside if possible; if not, then live coverage on the tele will do! I detest the ABC habit of showing part of the competition one weekend and then the rest the following weekend; Now, much to my dismay CTV is starting to go towards this trend. I also hate having the competition relayed between a skiing or curling event and now - horrors - we have to endure a running commentary of the latest sports news at the bottom of the screen - which ususally covers up the skaters feet!!!! Oh for the good old days, when CTV covered skating competitions as if one were there.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
Live vs Taped

I think the NBCTV and ABCTV people prefer taped events, for most figure skating events. This way they can reschedule them any way they please. Except for US Nats and the Olympics they care very little about what gets aired, or cut, or canceled so they can show something else. Most Figure Skating has low ratings these days so they just don't care much. Live telecasts?, you've got to be kidding, we're lucky they show any skating beyond Nats and Olym. Just this year under the new contract, they dropped the Lifetime coverage of Junior Worlds, and the extra GP Events Dance/Pairs coverage as well.

3axel

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I prefer to watch my events in person, if possible. Barring that, I much prefer live TV coverage, even though it makes me a stressful mess. And if it can't be live, I wish they would show it as quickly as possible. It was a bit better this year, they actually showed Cup of Russia before the GPF happened, whereas last year, I saw GPF live, but CoR hadn't aired yet. Of course, we don't get any short programs this year, with is seriously lame. There has to be a happy medium here, but until ratings get better (which they won't, not with bad coverage), we're stuck with it.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
I don't find it very enjoyable to watch skating on television, whether live or taped. Announcers generally annoy me, particularly when they go on and on about a skater's fall (when you're watching it rinkside, you move on with the skater and it's often not such a big deal), or when they start handicapping the contest ("what does Skater A have to do to beat Skater B").

That said, I'd much prefer live tv coverage than taped. I can't help myself; I always get online to find out results, often making the viewing a little less exciting.

I find it so totally different watching it rinkside- that's how I became a convert!

Jhar55

Medalist
Live of course!! It's even better if you get to attend the event. But it's like watching a ball game and already know who's going to win, that takes most of the enjoyment out of it. But then what choice do we get... :agree:

Jhar55 said:
Live of course!! It's even better if you get to attend the event. But it's like watching a ball game and already know who's going to win, that takes most of the enjoyment out of it. But then what choice do we get... :agree:
Attending the event one gets a totally different perspective of what one sees on TV. There is no camera to follow the skater around in close-up. You realize that so many skaters are not tall. If a skater executes a lutz in front of you, you see the flutz which often the camera hides. You feel badly for any skater who falls regardless whether it is your favorite.

However, on the plus side, you hear from the loud speaker that zzz will take the ice, and you see your favorite skaters move to the center of the ice LIVE. Your heart is palpitating. You want to reach out and wish them luck. You realize how good looking/beautiful they are. Their bodies are pefect. Their costumes are gorgeous. They come to a stop and pose to begin. The music starts and your heart beats wilder than before. You begin to sob for joy because they made that first element clean. In fact the entire program was skated clean. Their bows are bows of happiness and you are so elated to have watched them. The crowd is roaring. The teddy bears flood the ice. Your excitement makes your breathing difficult as they go into the K&C. Oh dear, what will those scores be?? The crowd boos and your high drops to a low. (Your favorite/s have finished 4th.)

And that's the way it is - LIVE - at the arena.

Joe

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I prefer live, even though I "stress out" for my favorites. I tried to stay "unspoiled" if the events are going to be televised shortly after they occur. We attended Nationals in 1998, so it was awesome seeing the events as they unfolded, but I still love taping the events because I am also curious to hear the commentary (particularly from "Uncle Dickie"). In the case of 1998 Nationals, we played back all the coverage a week after it took place. We did the same for Worlds 2003, which we were fortunate to attend as well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I prefer to watch competitions live on TV, as I´m not willing to travel to events so much. For that Eurosport is excellent as they cover Europeans, Worlds and Olympics live. Sometimes I had to tape for viewing later, and it did not feel at all so interesting although I did not even know the result, LOL.

Joesitz said:
... you hear from the loud speaker that zzz will take the ice, and you see your favorite skaters move to the center of the ice LIVE. Your heart is palpitating. You want to reach out and wish them luck. You realize how good looking/beautiful they are. Their bodies are pefect. Their costumes are gorgeous. They come to a stop and pose to begin. The music starts and your heart beats wilder than before. You begin to sob for joy because they made that first element clean. In fact the entire program was skated clean. Their bows are bows of happiness and you are so elated to have watched them. The crowd is roaring. The teddy bears flood the ice. Your excitement makes your breathing difficult as they go into the K&C. Oh dear, what will those scores be?? The crowd boos and your high drops to a low. (Your favorite/s have finished 4th.)

And that's the way it is - LIVE - at the arena.
:agree: :rock: :yes:

Amen to that, Joe!

I would love it if I could attend everything live, in-person, like I did for some of '98 Nat's. Similar to what iluvtodd said, I taped even tho I attended, and I'm glad I did because I saw myself on tv during Nat's!!! :rock:
But as for tv viewing, I'd prefer to see everything "live as it's happening".
Watching previously recorded stuff when it airs on tv, the way most of it is shown, is okay but not as exciting as if it's "live". I DO like to remain unspoiled.
What I don't like is taping competitions when they air, whether live or previously recorded, and then watching the tape later as my only way of viewing. I'll sometimes tape while I watch and review the tape later, but watching it later without having seen it when it airs just doesn't seem right to me somehow, I don't enjoy it as much.
(did that make sense?)

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Unlike the rest of you, I have no preference. I've followed skating on TV since the late 1960's & I am just grateful for any coverage provided. It doesn't surprise me that the networks cut back on the skating what with all the whining & complaining that is done over what you see, who you see/don't see, the camera shots, the commentators, the advertising, the fluff pieces, the cheesefests.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
What I don't understand is they show skating coverage from weeks 1 through 5 (for example). There is actually live GP going on during that time . Why not show the GP coverage as close to the time it actually took place. Why show last years World's when we could be seeing the current Skate America (again, for example). I realize because of the time zones there is going to be some difference but I think they could do better. Why make us wait a week for the Gala at Nationals?

i am also one of those people who would much rather watch skating live, because i feel that i get into more, and you never know how they are going to place( which usually gives away how they skated). But i do not mind watching it on tv, but i prefer live. :)