Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: 2019-20 Team China

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sai Bon View Post
    I would qualify that statement. Chris and Cathy Reed have a Japanese parent and they skate(d) for Japan, which they are totally entitled to do. AFAIK they are still based in Japan and Cathy coaches and choreographs for Japanese skaters. I believe it is their sister Alison who has switched countries a few times (does anyone know how many?)
    Allison switched 3 times : Georgia, Israel and now Lithuania. She obtained georgian citizenship in order to skate at 2010 Olympics. But probably no israeli citizenship and now it could be complicated for her to have lithuanian citizenship, especially after what happened with Isabella Tobias...

Back to China, all the US-girls we're talking about will be 18+ in 2022, so will have to chose between USA and China. If they were younger, we could imagine that they represent China at Olympics with a double-passport and then decide to stay US-citizen?

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ykai View Post
    I am curious as how much freedom the naturalized skaters have in terms of coaching, training facilities and choreograph. Do they still train in the states?
    Zhu Lin and Zhang are all still training in US with their original coaches. When they go to China for competition, they trains in Chen Lu's rink but also with their own coaches. In a video posted by Chen Lu, she helped a little bit with the arm details but not technical part. They also get funds for their training and choreograph.
    Angel Li has always been training in Shanghai so her situation is a little bit different but she also stays with her original coaches.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthAqua View Post
    Zhu Lin and Zhang are all still training in US with their original coaches. When they go to China for competition, they trains in Chen Lu's rink but also with their own coaches. In a video posted by Chen Lu, she helped a little bit with the arm details but not technical part. They also get funds for their training and choreograph.
    Angel Li has always been training in Shanghai so her situation is a little bit different but she also stays with her original coaches.
    That’s really like ideal situation for these young ladies. They get to keep their coaches, get the funding which they probably would never get from US fed and more importantly get a better chance to compete internationally. I hope they stay healthy and thrive.

On the Ice

4 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=Nirti;2422167]Allison switched 3 times : Georgia, Israel and now Lithuania. She obtained georgian citizenship in order to skate at 2010 Olympics. But probably no israeli citizenship and now it could be complicated for her to have lithuanian citizenship, especially after what happened with Isabella Tobias...

Funny that you mentioned Tobias because she and Allison basically skated for the same federations, and sometimes with the same skater (at different times of course!)
    Quite frankly I’m tired of hearing the snide remarks directed at the Reeds when it comes to country hopping when only one of them country hopped, and not that much more than some other skaters either.

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by composer View Post
    Quite frankly I’m tired of hearing the snide remarks directed at the Reeds when it comes to country hopping when only one of them country hopped, and not that much more than some other skaters either.
    Totally agree! When a skater has to change federations in order to start a new partnership, it's with the hope the new team will be successful. But life is life and most of the partnerships don't exceed 2 seasons... We can't blame anybody to try and try again.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by natsulian View Post
    Thank you. I wonder how the US Federation is reacting to China poaching talented individuals such as Lin, Zhang, and Zhu. Beijing 2022’s narrative continues to get more interesting as each day passes by.
    What’s more interesting is you need citizenship to compete at the Olympics and China doesn’t allow dual nationality. I wonder what decisions will be made in the coming years. It would be quite the political storm if China granted dual citizenship just for athletes.

Edit: Ah sorry I just saw someone else mentioned the citizenship issue. It’s more interesting in Figure Skating because so many skaters are so young and to renounce your home citizenship is a huge decision that can’t be undone.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSQ View Post
    ....because so many skaters are so young and to renounce your home citizenship is a huge decision that can’t be undone.
    After several years pass, the opportunity for going back to one's home citizenship is not entirely lost for every country as far as I've known.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossover View Post
    After several years pass, the opportunity for going back to one's home citizenship is not entirely lost for every country as far as I've known.
    I can only speak to the British and American rules and in the latter case you’d have to apply like any other non citizen and wouldn’t get special treatment. In the UK you can get your passport back after renouncing it only once if you’re British by descent.

0 Not allowed!
    In the US, it is recommended that one live in the United States for at least five years before applying for naturalization/citizenship. There are numerous ways for younger children to obtain citizenship through their parents, but for individuals who are of age 18 or older, they must apply for the test, pass, and go to a citizenship ceremony. Also, there are little loopholes such as if your parents are United States citizens. Hypothetically speaking, the athletes who are under 18 can feasibly be Chinese citizens for the 2021-2022 season, then maybe go back to being US citizens through their parents. However, for the athletes who are of age 18 or older, they will have to go through a much longer and VERY time consuming process. I think it took my parents about a year just to get their forms back... and then add in the interviews, waiting time, etc... and you pretty much get the idea that it is NOT ideal.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789