The "first" quad jumps | Golden Skate

The "first" quad jumps

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kurt Browning, a four-time World Champion (1989-1991, 1993) and four-time Canadian national champion (1989-1991, 1993), landed the first ratified quadruple jump at the 1988 World Championships.

Kurt Browning.jpg

Other "first" quads of various forms:

The only one left is the Axel!

We also have a ladies thread here.

Which jump is your favorite and why?

Last edited:
Which jump is your favorite and why?

The quad Lutz used to be my favorite, back in the days when Boyang Jin was the only skater who had truly mastered it. Now, it seems like everyone and his brother (and a few sisters) can do a quad Lutz. I have switched over to the quad loop as the coolest quad.

The quad Lutz is still amazing, but now I am looking for explosive fireworks off the ice and great height and distance, not just complete revolutions. A gigantic triple Axel is still hard to beat, IMHO.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
The quad Lutz used to be my favorite, back in the days when Boyang Jin was the only skater who had truly mastered it. Now, it seems like everyone and his brother (and a few sisters) can do a quad Lutz. I have switched over to the quad loop as the coolest quad

I disagree. Everyone and their cousins may be attempting quad Lutzes or getting mediocre/subpar lutzes ratified, but there are only two skaters, male or female, with lutzes worth talking about: Boyang Jin and Nathan Chen.

I actually think Kolyada has the best quad Lutz, but since he lands it once every blue moon or so, I can’t put it up there with Jin or Chen. It’s a sight to behold, though, when he lands it. After I saw his lutz, it booted the Salchow off the top of my list of favorite jumps.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The quad loop, definitely my favourite. But then, I am a fan of the loop jump in general because it seems to come out of nowhere within a programme.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I disagree. Everyone and their cousins may be attempting quad Lutzes or getting mediocre/subpar lutzes ratified, but there are only two skaters, male or female, with lutzes worth talking about: Boyang Jin and Nathan Chen.

I actually think Kolyada has the best quad Lutz, but since he lands it once every blue moon or so, I can’t put it up there with Jin or Chen. It’s a sight to behold, though, when he lands it. After I saw his lutz, it booted the Salchow off the top of my list of favorite jumps.

So true, Mikhail's quad lutz is spectacular! I saw this gif of it on Twitter and gasped! https://twitter.com/beth_gifs/status/1121995718393257984

Boyang's is amazing too of course! He's started not to get so close to the boards these days so that's a relief!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
The 4Lo is my favourite because of how smooth it is but the 4Lz is close because of how powerful it is.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Is this thread about firsts or about favorites?

About 20 years ago I was skimming a book by Didier Gailhauguet from the 1970s in which he mentioned Ronnie Robertson doing a quadruple loop jump, as a 30-something professional. The book was in French, so I wasn't 100% sure I had read correctly. I mentioned this online. Another online fan, who skated at the rink where Robertson still coached or skated sometimes in the 1990s, asked Robertson himself and confirmed that yes indeed, he had done a quadruple loop back in the 70s.

Who knows how "clean" it was. But interesting that the last 4-rev jump to get ratified in competition had actually been attempted well over 40 years previously, before anyone was trying any in competition.

Ykai

On the Ice
I love Boyang's quad Lutz, his height and rotation speed is sublime, but I always worry about his landing. If he can improve the landing, it will be +5 goe, lol.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is this thread about firsts or about favorites?

There is no doubt that skaters from many years ago have attempted and/or landed many jumps, as well as other elements, that we don't know about and that is not documented. In this case, the thread starts with "ratified" firsts as well as favorites :)

Last edited:

figureskaterdude

Rinkside
I've posted this before, but I thought this thread would be a good place to post it again because I think it is amazing footage.

Brian Orser and Jozef Sabovcik doing multiple quad toe loops in a practice session in 1985!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2IaPXg6DaE

Also interesting is this footage of Johnny Weir doing a quad toe, triple toe, triple loop combo in practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5zAhldHH_I

Really makes you appreciate how much more difficult it is to preform jumps during a program and under pressure at a competition. Also makes you wonder what amazing jumps some of these skaters have completed that most people have never seen.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Love the quad lutz. A well-executed quad lutz shows amazing strength, control, technique, and nerve. The only way you can do a quad lutz consistently is having all of these factors. It's impressive to see skaters like Jin, Trusova, Scherbackova and Chen land them on the regular, and I love Zhou's Rippon version of it, which is just insane.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
A beautiful quad lutz is a powerful sight and of course Misha Kolyada blown everybody away with his. If only he could get it to be consistent :drama:
Yuzuru's 4Z was also massive and absolutely amazing (the one he landed at CoR was iffy, but his practice ones were just WOW - just look at this beauty :luv17: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWhQ6PGHZTY)
Also sorry to see Boyang struggle with what was once his best jump :sad21:
Nathan's 4Z is also very good, and very consistent recently :agree:

But my favorite has to be the most elegant - 4Lo :)
https://youtu.be/x_Y2L6E6DDI?t=9

Maybe next season the monster 4A is finally conquered by Yuzu and then it will most definitely be my favorite :biggrin:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only one left is the Axel!

And now, we have Ilia Malinin who landed the first (ratified?) quadruple axel at Skate America 2022 and in Lake Placid a month or so earlier!

And Ilia's 4A is a thing of beauty. The height, the speed of rotation, the Landing! Mmmmmwah. ❤️ It's also beautiful because of the quality of his skating leading up and leading away.