BAD NEWS FOR RUSSIAN TEAM | Golden Skate

BAD NEWS FOR RUSSIAN TEAM

E

Ewdokia

BAD NEWS FOR RUSSIAN TEAM

The current political situation already seems to effect FS - here's what I found on a Russian MB:

"Russian Skating Federation President Valentin Piseev was delayed an hour when he arrived in NY Friday after being summoned to a meeting with U.S. authorities, apparently to discuss the GBI's ongoing investigation of the SLC judging scandal. According to a Russian team official, Piseev was not happy about the delay.

Meantime, Russian physician Viktor Anikanov and physical therapist Tamara Gvozdetskaya have not been able to get from Moscow to the US because of Visa problems. They and Alexander Lakernik, who was scheduled to referee the mens' competition and also has had visa trouble, were stranded.

Lakernik, who was told late last week his visa had been held up by administrative problems, said on Friday he had no hope of arriving on time for the mens' qualifying on Monday, even though U.S. figure skating officials said his visa has been approved. He is expected to be replaced either by assistant referreee Gale Tanger or another official available on short notice."

The poster didn't give the source of this information, so I'm not sure if this is official. But if true it definitely won't make things easier for the Russian team, especially not the men.

R

rgirl181

Re: BAD NEWS FOR RUSSIAN TEAM

I can understand the situation with Piseev given the ongoing investigation, but if the things described are going on with people on the team like physical therapists, coaches, and skaters, that's really bad news.

I'll have to reserve judgment until there's verification (I don't doubt you, Ewodkia; it's just like you said, there wasn't a source) but if this is happening, I sure hope they are just isolated incidents.

The investigation is serious and must be carried out, but people who obviously have no involvement with what happened shouldn't be pulled into it.
Rgirl

E

Ewdokia

Well, unfortunately it's partly official now. Under the thread of Plushenkos knee there is a link to an article in Washington post which states that the medical team has not arrived in the U.S.

R

rgirl181

Yeah, I saw that about the medical team for the Russians. Very bad. Seems like US officials are letting the legitimate investigation bleed over into some inappropriate restrictions on people who, like I said, are either just skaters or just there as part of the skating support staff, like the coaches and medical team. If that is what's happening, shame on us.
Rgirl

J

Jules Asner

The USFSA should see to it that any skaters who's medical team/physical therapist is held up due to visa problems or other red-tape are given any care they need until their medical teams arrive. The skaters here are their guests and they should see they are taken care of properly, especially Plushenko's knee!!!!

P

Ptichka

I am not sure a skater's federation would allow him to go to another doctor. (It doesn't matter if you're talking about Russian skater and US doctor, or vice versa.) After all, Plushy has enough money that I am sure he could go to a non-Federation doctor if he so chose. Or am I wrong?

J

Jules Asner

I hope that isn't the case -- perhaps one of the other team doctors could help him.