What is Theatre on Ice? | Golden Skate

What is Theatre on Ice?

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Theatre On Ice (TOI) is a form of competitive figure skating that is popular in Europe, where it is known as Ballet on Ice. It combines the grace of figure skating with the excitement of theater and dance. Teams consist of between eight and 30 skaters. Solo skating is discouraged, but is permitted in limited amounts if it enhances the overall telling of the program's story. The programs are judged by regular U.S. Figure Skating judges and are evaluated on technical merit and presentation with emphasis on originality, costuming, artistry and musicality.

In figure skating, a routine is known as a program. In the program, singles skating, pairs, ice dance, and synchronized skating may be used. In addition, the program must tell a story or act out an emotion or idea. This is done through the technical elements as well as the emotions and body movements of the skaters.

Each routine is set to music of the team's choosing, which compliments the theme of the routine well. This music may be instrumental or it may have words, however, the music must be tasteful and not contain any use of foul language.

Next, each routine requires costumes that fit the theme. They may be unique, and teams are encouraged to do so. However, these costumes must also be in good taste and may not be revealing. The costumes help to act out the theme, just as in a play performed on the stage.

Finally, each routine will most likely have props to help act out the theme as well as a set, to transport the audience to the place and time being portrayed on the ice. Both of these are optional, but are typically encouraged for teams to use both of these things to help express their theme.

An additional type of routine is called a choreographic exercise. This is a new type of program that is being developed. Each year, the requirements for this program change. In this type of program no sets or props or unique costumes are allowed. Each team must only wear black, from neck to ankle, with hair in pony tail and no visible makeup.

There are several TOI teams and TOI competitions around the country.

Last edited by a moderator:

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi Sabrina Navy. Glad to read you've expanded your skating knowledge. If you check the next topic there are links to various YouTube videos showing Theatre On Ice programs.

If you're interested in skating on a TOI team check and see if your rink has one. Although some teams have skaters tryout, most just want to keep their teams going and you don't have to be a competitive skater. You will incur expenses though for practice ice and coaching fees, costumes, travel, etc.

Because of COVID-19, competitions for this year have been cancelled.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hello, I've never been to a theater like this, but I would love to see this show.

Hello herpawearo!

I'm not sure I understand your statement. The name Theatre on Ice refers to a facet of skating (like figure, ice dance, pairs). It is not an actual building or theatre built on ice.
In the past, the group of skaters used to bring out scenery and props but they don't do that so much anymore and use their skating program to convey the intent of the music.

There are not many big Theatre on Ice competitions, and this year there are none that I know of.
I suggest watching for a show put on by your local rink with their club skaters. There may be a Theatre on Ice team or multiple teams that will perform in the show. Keep you eyes and ears open!

twirlingblades

Medalist
Hello herpawearo!

I'm not sure I understand your statement. The name Theatre on Ice refers to a facet of skating (like figure, ice dance, pairs). It is not an actual building or theatre built on ice.
In the past, the group of skaters used to bring out scenery and props but they don't do that so much anymore and use their skating program to convey the intent of the music.

There are not many big Theatre on Ice competitions, and this year there are none that I know of.
I suggest watching for a show put on by your local rink with their club skaters. There may be a Theatre on Ice team or multiple teams that will perform in the show. Keep you eyes and ears open!

Theater on Ice Nationals (for the US) was unfortunately cancelled :( It was supposed to be the last week in June. I skate on a Senior team. I'm sad, we lost our entire season due to COVID.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Theater on Ice Nationals (for the US) was unfortunately cancelled :( It was supposed to be the last week in June. I skate on a Senior team. I'm sad, we lost our entire season due to COVID.

I’m sorry to hear this, Twirlingblades. I know in the greater scheme of things it may not be the biggest issue, but so many skating events affected by the crisis:sad21: