LTS fail #2 | Golden Skate

LTS fail #2

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, yall, today was my 2nd attempt at LTS. I was able to walk around in the skates, very hesitantly. I was not able to do a controlled fall. so they want me to get a helmet before I try again. They said if I fall like I fell today my head may hit the ice. Obviously I don't want that, but this is very frustrating. They also think it would be a good idea for me to get my own skates (I agree, so it wouldn't be so dang frustrating trying various pairs, getting longer laces, etc every week.) What I don't want is to spend $1,000 on skates and never be able to skate in them, so I have to hope the skate fitters can find me a cheap option. They want me to practice walking in the skates at home, so I am going to try that. Also go to the gym and get a weights routine for my legs started. Any other suggestions?

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Wait, did they let you on the ice without a helmet? Or were they going to if you could do a controlled fall? :jaw: That's surprising (and reckless, imo).

At your level, skates won't be $1000. :)

Good luck!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wait, did they let you on the ice without a helmet? Or were they going to if you could do a controlled fall? :jaw: That's surprising (and reckless, imo).

At your level, skates won't be $1000. :)

Good luck!

Yes, they don't require helmets for people over....7 I think? Maybe 8? Anyway around that age.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
At your level your skates will not be 1000 dollars.
I'm elite and one pair custom isn't even that.

Make sure you get fit properly though.

Good luck!

g8rsara

Rinkside
When I first started I could hardly let go of the wall the first week. It does take practice! A helmet is a good idea. New skates could run you anywhere from $90 or so to maybe $250, but if you don’t have much balance and can’t really get around yet, probably better to put the money into you helmet and maybe wrist, elbow and and knee guards/pads and wait on skates until you feel more comfortable. At least, that’s what I did. I’ve only been on the ice a year and have my first show next week, so don’t give up!!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Well, yall, today was my 2nd attempt at LTS. I was able to walk around in the skates, very hesitantly. I was not able to do a controlled fall. so they want me to get a helmet before I try again. They said if I fall like I fell today my head may hit the ice. Obviously I don't want that, but this is very frustrating. They also think it would be a good idea for me to get my own skates (I agree, so it wouldn't be so dang frustrating trying various pairs, getting longer laces, etc every week.) What I don't want is to spend $1,000 on skates and never be able to skate in them, so I have to hope the skate fitters can find me a cheap option. They want me to practice walking in the skates at home, so I am going to try that. Also go to the gym and get a weights routine for my legs started. Any other suggestions?

Ha - I think I fell three times the first night. No helmet and the instructor just laughed at me. I never did learn the “right” way to fall.

I would suggest two things: (1) wrist guards (its easy to put your hand back without thinking to break a fall, and broken wrists are really inconvenient); and (2) if you don’t have a strong core, do some strengthening exercises, because it will help you get up when you fall.

Regarding skates, make sure you go to a good fitter! You should be able to find a good pair of beginner instructional skates (boots with blades attached) by Jackson or Riedell for about $100-$200. The brand you go into will depend on the shape of your foot. I would avoid a soft skate.

This website has some basic info on different skates, so take a look at it, but I’d really suggest you go to a fitter instead of buying online (and don’t go to a place like Dick’s!):

https://www.shop.kinziescloset.com/Riedell-Figure-Skates_c83.htm

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I applaud your determination to get on the ice and learn to skate! And I wouldn't say that qualifies as a fail at all; you've got further than you did last time and after that first (appalling) experience I would say you're amazingly resilient not to have just thrown in the skate guards and walked away to take up something like crochet...

I learned to skate long before helmets were a thing for skaters (and we were always told that once you've hit your head, you soon learn to hold it up!) but having seen a fair number of adults being completely put off skating after hitting their heads, I'd definitely recommend wearing one. If you need longer laces because you have wide feet and ankles, a beginner friend of mine who has those issues has just bought Edea Overtures in the E fitting, which is very wide indeed. She also needed longer laces than the ones supplied by the skate shop, but she's very happy now, much happier than in her Jackson Artistes, which were way too long and not really wide enough.

Buy a helmet and some skates (as the others say, ideally get properly fitted) and I look forward to reading about your continuing adventures in skating. :)

Ykai

On the Ice
When I first started (in an adult learn to skate program), I didn't know about "fitting the right" skates. I went to a local ice sports shop and the guy measured my feet and gave me a pair (jackson softskates) to try. I put them on and walked around in the shop. I didn't feel anything special, except that the skates are so heavy comparing to my sneakers, and I bought them for about 80 dollars. Now I feel they are actually half size too big, but I still skate fine with them. I think at your level, skates are not that crucial, but do get a pair of your own. I don't know what exercise you do at home. Skating requires a lot of core strength as well as quads and glutes. It might help if you practice yoga or various plank movements at home, so you know how to keep your core tight, which would be helpful. When you are on ice, keep your chin up so you don't look down, and it is easier to keep your balance if you look forward. Last but the most importantly wear a helmet. Once you past that initial fear, you will do great!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I can't believe that you were allowed on the ice without a helmet. Skate Canada requires everyone below Stage 5 to wear one before they get on the ice. A helmet is a must to protect your head when you're starting out. Ice is slippery.

With regards to skates, you should try to go to a fitter, but Jacksons sells pretty good low level skates for around $100, which will probably last you several years given your level.

Nimyue

On the Ice
I can't believe that you were allowed on the ice without a helmet. Skate Canada requires everyone below Stage 5 to wear one before they get on the ice. A helmet is a must to protect your head when you're starting out. Ice is slippery.

With regards to skates, you should try to go to a fitter, but Jacksons sells pretty good low level skates for around $100, which will probably last you several years given your level.

There isn't a requirement for helmets in Learn To Skate USA for adults.

Vicki7

On the Ice
Oh you guys would hate the UK system. No mandatory helmets and hardly anyone wears them. At my rink there's a handful of older (60+) skaters who do, that's it.

OP, definitely get your own skates, you don't need to spend a lot but your own skates will make learning a much more pleasant experience.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I just gave a 3rd lesson to a very stiff adult skater. The first lesson was really hard for her and she did take a tumble. Luckily she was wearing a helmet as although she went more sideways than backwards, the side of her helmet did hit the ice. She shook herself off, got up and continued.
So, you should get a helmet or a Halo or Crashe for your head. And wear them off ice to get used to the added feeling of having something on your head.

I also suggest arranging a private lesson with a Learn to Skate coach and get some one-on-one attention. Some rinks have coaches that can be booked at the front desk for a 15-20 minute lesson on the public session or as a booster lesson before or after your class. The rate should not be more than $10 - $20.

I'm probably against the tide here but I don't think you should buy skates at this point until you see if you can really get a grip on ice skating.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm probably against the tide here but I don't think you should buy skates at this point until you see if you can really get a grip on ice skating.
Maybe the OP is one of the lucky few who skates at a rink that has decent rentals. So far, I haven't come across any (when I've skated with friends or family in rentals, or looked at rentals on newbies who've asked for my help). In particular, typically the blades have really dull edges. So it's hard to really get a grip on ice skating when your slip-slidin' away. That's the Catch-22 for adults in this sport: you don't want to spend a lot of money on gear if you don't know whether you'll like it; but skating in rentals will just about guarantee a negative experience. A $1000 isn't needed, but about $200 min is.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Maybe the OP is one of the lucky few who skates at a rink that has decent rentals. So far, I haven't come across any (when I've skated with friends or family in rentals, or looked at rentals on newbies who've asked for my help). In particular, typically the blades have really dull edges. So it's hard to really get a grip on ice skating when your slip-slidin' away.

Some rinks do have decent rentals. My old rink was very conscientious about keeping their rentals up.
And the rink I teach at just got brand new rental skates with great support and decent blades. Buy yet I know of another rink whose rentals make me cringe, mainly because some of the rentals are those plastic ski-style boots.

That's the Catch-22 for adults in this sport: you don't want to spend a lot of money on gear if you don't know whether you'll like it; but skating in rentals will just about guarantee a negative experience. A $1000 isn't needed, but about $200 min is.

Gosh tstop4me - I think this is the first time I don't agree with you :))) as I don't agree that skating in rentals will just about guarantee a negative experience. And in the case of the OP, I feel that the rink staff and LTS coach isn't helping either - and they contribute to a newbie having positive or negative experiences too.

I still stand by my "don't buy unless you're sure you're going to continue or like the sport." But if the OP can get past her first LTS level then I would absolutely say "buy some good starter skates."

maggieanne

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Is there a helmet requirement in Learn To Skate USA? If so, my rink doesn’t enforce it...

As far as skates go, if your rink has good rentals I’d hold off for a little bit. But if you think the rental skates are hindering you, I think you should buy some. Personally, I don’t think you should spend over $200, because I think you could get perfectly fine skates for $100 or even less. But that’s up to you and your budget.

Best wishes and I hope you are able to push through the frustration of your first few lessons.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
About rental skates, if they're the ones that look like regular recreational skates (but brown or tan, possibly), those can be good if sharpened and not broken-down. The ones that look like ski boots, on the other hand, I couldn't even do a crossover in those things when I tried them at a different rink. Just be warned that they usually only come in one width (which for my wide feet means losing feeling in my pinkie toes (Riedells) or being able to see my socks between the tongue and the sides (Jacksons).)

Is there a helmet requirement in Learn To Skate USA? If so, my rink doesn’t enforce it...

No, each rink sets its own policy. Beginners at my rink aren't required to wear helmets officially, but I don't think the coaches would be any too happy if someone in LTS1 showed up without one. That being said, I can't imagine having to wear one until level 5! Is that only in the lessons or at freestyle sessions and public skating as well?

jf12

Final Flight
The coach at the rink that OP took the LTS at said to get her own skates.. so I would not assume that they have great rentals there.

VegMom

On the Ice
I decided to learn to skate too. In the first session hardly any adults wore helmets. But one of the men fell badly while practicing and now nearly everyone wears a helmet. We all look and feel silly but it's better to look silly than be brain damaged or dead.

I bought my own beginner skates. They cost about $80. They are perfectly fine for a beginner. You don't need to spend a ton!
For me, it makes everything easier to have my own skates. I know what to expect. I don't have to deal with the inconsistencies of rental skates.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh you guys would hate the UK system. No mandatory helmets and hardly anyone wears them. At my rink there's a handful of older (60+) skaters who do, that's it.

No mandatory helmets in Australia, either. In fact, with the exception of hockey players and a few public skaters, I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear them.