Evgenia Medvedeva: 'This year was more important than last' | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva: 'This year was more important than last'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
emforum.png

2018 Olympic silver medalist Evgenia Medvedeva (Евгения Медведева) of Russia talks about what she has learned since last year, her music for the 2019-20 figure skating season, her tour with Stars on Ice, and more.

https://youtu.be/4W9OeTsp9-w

"Nobody can tell me what to do!"

Preach! :agree:

What are your overall thoughts on her season? How do you think she will fare next season?

Last edited by a moderator:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ted Flett and Zhenya: what a great combo.:clap:

And she is listening to her support system: the people who support me, I listen to them. The people who try to bring me down, I don’t pay attention to them.

:)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Ahhhhh. The bit around 7 minutes in is music to my ears. Whatever happens this season, she's obviously in a much, much better place for her and that is wonderful. Personally, I hope she comes back stronger and wins everything there is to win in style, because I really, really enjoy her skating. It has heart.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What a great interview to warm the cockles of the heart of any Zhenya fan! :love:

I am glad that she is revelling in being able to skate in a hot pink costume to Ariana Grande, and feeling Happy, above all!

Fluture

Record Breaker
That‘s a great interview. Thanks a lot. :)

“Nobody can tell me what to do!"

Is an excellent quote. She‘s growing up, making her own decisions. Exactly how it should be.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ahhhhh. The bit around 7 minutes in is music to my ears. Whatever happens this season, she's obviously in a much, much better place for her and that is wonderful. Personally, I hope she comes back stronger and wins everything there is to win in style, because I really, really enjoy her skating. It has heart.

I totally agree. :thumbsup: :)

Scott512

Record Breaker
That‘s a great interview. Thanks a lot. :)

“Nobody can tell me what to do!"

Is an excellent quote. She‘s growing up, making her own decisions. Exactly how it should be.

I think we can all figure out what nobody can tell me what to do means. ;) Its perfectly normal for a teenager to want to make her own decisions and Evgenia is doing so. But I'm sure she still heeds advice from people more experienced than she is like Tracy and Brian.

The question now is can Zhenya really heal 100% in the off-season? Because next season is going to be a huge challenge for all the top ladies with the Young Guns coming for everyone.

When does she have to start working on her quad in order to implement it during the season? I would think this would have to be practiced a lot over the summer if her back hip and quad are up for it.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I think we can all figure out what nobody can tell me what to do means. ;) Its perfectly normal for a teenager to want to make her own decisions and Evgenia is doing so. But I'm sure she still heeds advice from people more experienced than she is like Tracy and Brian.

The question now is can Zhenya really heal 100% in the off-season? Because next season is going to be a huge challenge for all the top ladies with the Young Guns coming for everyone.

When does she have to start working on her quad in order to implement it during the season? I would think this would have to be practiced a lot over the summer if her back hip and quad are up for it.

Of course she gets advice from her coaches. She was referencing to hater_s in this particular case who really should not influence anything she does or doesn‘t do. She said clearly, she‘s now only focusing on what her close ones say, family, friends, coaches. But it‘s good that Brian and Tracy let her make some decisions on her own. Every person growing up needs that freedom once in a while.

She said in another interview that her recovery is going well, she has begun to restore her jumps, including loop combos. I think she will be fine. I‘m not sure on the quad, whether we‘ll see it next season already. She‘ll work on it in the summer but I think it depends which state it is in.

The young guns have always moved up from seniors, it‘s not different now. Of course now we have a particularly talented group but Zhenya‘s going to do what she needs to do. It will be hard but it was already hard this season... so, for now I‘m not really that worried.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Of course she gets advice from her coaches. She was referencing to hater_s in this particular case who really should not influence anything she does or doesn‘t do. She said clearly, she‘s now only focusing on what her close ones say, family, friends, coaches. But it‘s good that Brian and Tracy let her make some decisions on her own. Every person growing up needs that freedom once in a while.

She said in another interview that her recovery is going well, she has begun to restore her jumps, including loop combos. I think she will be fine. I‘m not sure on the quad, whether we‘ll see it next season already. She‘ll work on it in the summer but I think it depends which state it is in.

The young guns have always moved up from seniors, it‘s not different now. Of course now we have a particularly talented group but Zhenya‘s going to do what she needs to do. It will be hard but it was already hard this season... so, for now I‘m not really that worried.
Haterz are in her rearview mirror now she knows how to deal with them emotionally but it has to be hard.

Learning the quad should be an amazing experience. It will be interesting to see if she can Master a quad.

When did she learn to speak English? School?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Haterz are in her rearview mirror now she knows how to deal with them emotionally but it has to be hard.

Learning the quad should be an amazing experience. It will be interesting to see if she can Master a quad.

When did she learn to speak English? School?
She started to learn English in her first senior season. She mentioned that in a recent interview :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I like her spunk and her fire. It will be a tough season with all the young heavy hitters but never count Evgenia out as we learned this season. Also the challenges in russia have to survive puberty. Itis amazing how she was counted out by most and how she medalled at worlds.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Medvedeva's new Ariana Grande routine was unveiled in South Korea a few weeks ago and she continues to tour with Stars on Ice in North America. Her previous show programs that she performed in Japan after the Worlds had no jump included, which worried me. She has been nursing the fractured right foot that for about a year. But she is moving much better now with Grande's 7 Rings and I hope she's going to have a fantastic season.

Scott512

Record Breaker
She started to learn English in her first senior season. She mentioned that in a recent interview :)

Thank you.

Zhenya has made big big changes in her life in the last year and she's adjusting quite well I would say. Not sure where most people can make those changes. I haven't been able to do it for instance when I'm sure others here struggle with making big changes in life.

But I would like to see her take three or four weeks off at some point and just not do any skating maybe just some swimming or something that's easy on the body.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Medvedeva's new Ariana Grande routine was unveiled in South Korea a few weeks ago and she continues to tour with Stars on Ice in North America. Her previous show programs that she performed in Japan after the Worlds had no jump included, which worried me. She has been nursing the fractured right foot that for about a year. But she is moving much better now with Grande's 7 Rings and I hope she's going to have a fantastic season.

Just to clarify, her fractured foot is healed. She does seem to have a chronic back issue (she says she's no longer able to do a Biellmann) and she had a minor leg/hip injury at Worlds, but she seems much better now. In her latest IG updates, we can see she's jumping combos in practice again, and she's also doing a couple of jumps in her Beautiful Mess EX.

I think she's being cautious, and quite right so, since there's no point in pushing herself too much during shows in the off-season, especially as she still has the whole of FaOI to do in May/June.

Dashw

Rinkside