When can Alyssa Liu compete internationally? | Golden Skate

When can Alyssa Liu compete internationally?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think she was13 when she won nationals. What age required for GPF and other senior events? Ty.

natsulian

Final Flight
Alysa will compete internationally this year and she will be 14 years old come August. Her international debut will be at Lake Placid during the Junior Grand Prix. Best of luck to her.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think she was13 when she won nationals. What age required for GPF and other senior events? Ty.

She has already competed internationally. She competed in Advanced Novices at the Asian Open last year, and she is the first athlete in Advanced Novices to land a triple axel in international competition.

She will be age-eligible for international senior competition during the Olympic Season, 2021-2022.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Alyssa won't be eligible to compete as a senior internationally until she's 15 (the next Olympic season). She'll make her junior debut this season.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alyssa won't be eligible to compete as a senior internationally until she's 15 (the next Olympic season). She'll make her junior debut this season.

I believe that isn't quite correct. As natsulian said above, Alysa will be 14 this August. In August 2020, she'll turn 15, which means she won't be eligible for Senior Worlds 2021, because she'll have missed the July cut-off date for being eligible to compete as a senior at World Championships. She'll turn 16 in August 2021, so all during the 2021-22 Olympic season, she'll be eligible for everything. (as rules now stand)

This brings up another question. In the competitive season of 2020-21, will she be eligible to compete as a senior in the Grand Prix season?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power šŸ»
Record Breaker
This brings up another question. In the competitive season of 2020-21, will she be eligible to compete as a senior in the Grand Prix season?
No, as she will not be 15 by the 1st of July in 2020. The rule of having to be 15 for seniors before the 1st of July applies to all of the international competitions not just the Olympics and Worlds.

halulupu

Final Flight
She is overrated anyway. Her 3a and quads look forced with no speed, elegance and 0 transitions. Nothing compared to the eteris

natsulian

Final Flight
She is overrated anyway. Her 3a and quads look forced with no speed, elegance and 0 transitions. Nothing compared to the eteris

Thank you for a lovely, well thought out response that not only immaculately answers the question at hand, but provides great insight into your character. I hope you found it worthwhile. Much love.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

She isn't overrated. She is an emerging skater who is better technically than she is artistically. We all know that. Her scores reflect that. Obviously there is a lot of hope for her because the sport is becoming more about the difficult jumps, and she has them.

halulupu

Final Flight
Thank you for a lovely, well thought out response that not only immaculately answers the question at hand, but provides great insight into your character. I hope you found it worthwhile. Much love.
Lovely answer. Don't worry she will be improved by the time she is allowed to compete with the eteris.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
She isn't overrated. She is an emerging skater who is better technically than she is artistically. We all know that. Her scores reflect that.

No, we do not. She is exactly my cup of tea artistically. Has been since before she ever landed a triple axel or started getting credit for rotating her triple triples. She has been pushing the technical bar over the past year in particular and is farther ahead of the other U.S. ladies because of that point-wise. But it's her ability to emote and pizzazz-filled expression that equal IT for me.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
So you think she's better artistically than technically?

Yes, actually. Relative to her peers (the other top athletes her age/just a bit older than her), I think her presentation is her strength and her spins are very strong. I also think she's a go-getter and outstripped my expectations for her as a competitor at last year's Nationals (though in that case, it will be interesting to see if she competes as well on the JGP where the expectations are on her and the calls are tight). Will be fun. I think it's impossible to know at this age how her technique will serve her in the long run as she grows and matures. (I've been amazed over the past year, as I was told the season I first saw her that it wasn't good, and her free at her final Novice Nationals was a struggle; but she has improved both seasons since and blown away observers' predictions). As far as presentation at her age-level goes, however, I think she's great. I'm sure there are some other great budding performers about to burst onto the junior international scene as well--athletes I haven't seen and look forward to seeing.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I understand that people are excited for her, and I understand that some are seeing her as a threat to their favorites.
But whatever your judgement of her artistry is (which is entirely subjective for every skater and every person), I can't understand when people are ready to slash someone without giving them a chance to improve.
She might develop technically and have better jumps than she has now. She might develop artistically as well and show much more than she does now.
In the end, I think being able to do quads is a talent as well, whatever the quality. She is very gifted, and other sides might very well catch up, just give her some time.
She's still very young, not even a junior, and has a lot of potential.
I'm excited to see her grow as a skater, she's a very promising novice/junior.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I don't think it's fair to bash her for not having perfect elements but it is worth pointing out when people say "she can match Eteri's juniors".

Well yes they also do quads, but with crazy speed and transitions going in like a triple jump, it's not just the fact they do these quads that set them apart.

But it is absolutely fine to take the time to set an element, many mens skaters also do it, you'll get lower GOE but if the element is fully rotated and landed there are still a lot of points there, you can certainly improve later, she is still so young after all.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't think it's fair to bash her for not having perfect elements but it is worth pointing out when people say "she can match Eteri's juniors".

Well yes they also do quads, but with crazy speed and transitions going in like a triple jump, it's not just the fact they do these quads that set them apart.

These young skaters are doing so much with their bodies right now that it will be interesting to see if they will be able to keep the difficult jumps as they move into the senior ranks, including Alysa. I'm curious to find out how the most talented juniors will stack up in the long term, especially against the likes of Rika, who wasn't a particularly successful junior but looks to be positioned for a strong senior career.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
I like many others on stan twitter don't see what's appealing about her and find her vastly overrated as well tbh.