Sweepers: Have you ever been one? | Golden Skate

Sweepers: Have you ever been one?

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Just curious about sweepers. The young kids who skate out after the competitor has finished their program and pick up all the stuffed animals and flowers. How does one get to be a sweeper? What are the rules? I know they can't get in the skaters way. Are they allowed to talk to the skater? I imagine it is a big thrill since you may be seen on TV.

Just off season curiosity.:scratch2:

GarthAqua

On the Ice
I think some of the kids are local kids in skating clubs. You can see videos of young shoma picking flowers for Takahashi in NHK and Boyang picking presents for Mao in COC.
Also japan tv did a program about the kid greeting Hanyu in Rostelcom Cup, you can see how young skaters treasure the chance to meet their heroes.

I've never been one :), but I have read that for U.S. Nationals the USFSA solicits applications, from which they select 40. I understand that they usually get 120 or so applications. Boys can apply, but almost all of the applicants are girls.

The applicants are from skating clubs in the local area where the event is being held. But a couple of years ago one youngster from out of state wrote an impassioned letter to the USFSA telling them that it was no fair that she couldn't apply, and she did apply and was selected. There is a an official, either of the USFSA or of the local organizing committee, in charge of the sweepers. They get the sweepers together before the event and go over the procedures, plus the girls practice picking things up off the ice. They even use teamwork to gather up all the stuffed animals and flowers in an efficient way. Yes, it's a huge thrill to get to be part of the show and to meet the big names. :clap::clap: :clap:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Haha, at least at Rostelecom, they are not supposed to talk to the skaters. Vadim Voronov (the little Hanyu fanboy and a very, very talented skater already) did it anyway. :laugh: