Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: 2019-20 Retirements

  1. #21
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    263

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anni234 View Post
    Sorry to continue with the OT. As a native speaker of Estonian I confirm that Finnish and Estonian do sound similar, but if I hear or read Finnish, I can understand no more than a few words, never the context. I think Scandinavian languages are more close in this regard.
    In the Soviet era Estonians (especially in Tallinn) watched a lot of Finnish tv, it was "a window to the west". There's a great documentary about it.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1421032/

    BTW, no dramatic Finnish retirements as far as I know.

  2. #22
    GS given name - Beatrice
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    7,856
    Country: Poland

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluture View Post
    Excuse me but you cannot choose to retire people when you feel like it. They have competed last season, even had GP events and have expressed desire to continue, at least Tsurskaya. But anyway, both are done when they say they are, not earlier and certainly not when a random fan on the internet sees “no future for them“. I mean, I totally get that they would have to do a lot to get a redemption on international level and that it will be quite hard but if they want to go for it, why not? We never know. And since they made no such comments and haven‘t been away from competition for a long time like someone like Pogorilaya has for example, I see no reason to add them to any list regarding retirement.

    Just because they‘re Russians, had a rough year and 3A are moving up doesn‘t mean they have to retire.


    Reminds me of this.

    https://www.instagram.com/theskating...=1nhvbrpkdvh37
    Thank you Fluture for this post.

    By the logic of OP quoted, there should be a public vote at the end of every season to vote off those skaters who are seen to have 'no perspectives in the future', or that skaters not doing certain things/frequently doing them (either being quads/3As or having a winning streak/high scores/'reputation') should decide (or worse, be forced) to retire. It's a very sad utopia created just because someone seems to operate in very particular, 'exclusive' subjective standards and holding skaters to them regarding competitiveness and retirement notions - we should remember to not use OUR favourite skaters or skaters who are winning ones as strict determinant of someone else's retirements, determinants of others' decisions whether continue competing actively or not.

    Real life & athletic reality are not the arena taken from 'Hunger Games' or other fictional creation to that date and there are multiple factors to consider for each skater before deciding on continuing I believe. I wish we, as an audience, would rather encourage skaters to continue (if healthy and poised to do so, to challenge themselves, if there are no personal/mental/physical obstacles to do so) than opining/speculating who among healthy, just maybe not the most successful skaters, should now retire. And what's even worse is putting such 'no perspectives' mind-set upon skaters themselves, voicing that with no consideration over the real state they are currently in; 'perspectives' in general is a pretty broad term in my personal opinion and each skaters should define it individually - if someone still has a competitive drive and eagerness to improve in their OWN right, why to retire just because e.g. the competition in your country is very high? I would like to see skaters come into the term by themselves, with no 'concern' expressed towards them regarding 'no perspectives' taken subjectively in the eye of beholder.

  3. #23
    EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12,103
    Country: Northern Ireland

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anni234 View Post
    Sorry to continue with the OT. As a native speaker of Estonian I confirm that Finnish and Estonian do sound similar, but if I hear or read Finnish, I can understand no more than a few words, never the context. I think Scandinavian languages are more close in this regard.

    As for Eurosport, I have only ever seen UK Eurosport being broadcasted (unless you also order Finnish channels of course).
    Thank you so much for that information (I was actually hoping you would reply! )

    That is interesting that you are getting the English language version of Eurosport. How long has that been the case? Because back in the days when the Eurosport website had a decent TV listings page, there was a menu where you could select which country you were in. And if you selected Estonia, it took you to the Eurosport Suomi listings.

    It was that menu that the first table I use in my TV listings post is based on. So, it looks like I'm going to have to make changes to my post for next season, seeing as I now know the information is out of date.

    Thank you for letting me know, as I would have been none the wiser.

    Quote Originally Posted by pohatta View Post
    In the Soviet era Estonians (especially in Tallinn) watched a lot of Finnish tv, it was "a window to the west". There's a great documentary about it.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1421032/
    Ah, never thought of it like that!

    Yes, having knowledge of Finnish would have been a major advantage for Estonians getting a rounder view of what is going on in the world.

    I like stories like this. So, thank you for telling us that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anni234 View Post
    As for this thread - I believe it’s best to stick with the names that have actually confirmed retirement to avoid confusion. I believe at least in Estonia both bigger names, Liinamäe and Kiibus, are continuing.
    Quote Originally Posted by pohatta View Post
    BTW, no dramatic Finnish retirements as far as I know.
    Good to hear.

    I'm still trying to get over Laura Lepistö and then Kiira Korpi retiring...

    (By the way, it was lovely to see Laura in an official capacity at the GP this season. It's a pity it was just a one-off, though).

    CaroLiza_fan

  4. #24
    Bona Fide Member LRK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,386

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by norwegianfairytale View Post
    Yes, I can also confirm. I´m sad by this, but I can understand the reasons. I had a feeling she would retire soon, but not so soon. I hoped she would stay for another year, trying to get to WC. I also had a feeling about that this was upcoming news, because I noticed, like with Anne Line Gjersem, that Camilla hasn´t been posting videos from the ice lately. I know she has been busy with exams and stuff and she has also been hospitalized recently because of an appendix removal, so I also thought she might had to have a break because of that. Allthough, I have seen videos from Camilla training after the last competitions, so I have a feeling that the decision was made very recently.

    The next season will be interesting for Norway as there aren´t a lot of senior ladies. But I´m very glad that Marianne Staalen had her first senior year this past season. Sondre is currently choreographing her new program so she will continue I´m very glad. Also Silje Anna Skulstad Urang from junior ladies will be too old for juniors and she has to move up to senior levels, but I have no clue if she will continue. I hope so. It will be interesting to so see if one of the ladies will qualify for EC. That would be the first time in many many years that Norway isn´t represented by the Gjersem-twins and I hope Norway will be present!

    As for the bi-lingual thing, mostly norwegians and swedes understand each other, both spoken and writing, but as far as I understand the youngest one (norwegians) have some problems understanding it, because they have started dubbing a lot of the swedish and danish televisionprograms I have no problem understanding both danish and swedish language, I but I know a lot of norwegians have a little trouble with the danish, particularly the spoken one. Mostly norwegians find the swedish language easier then the danish one, at least the spoken one. I don´t know about the swedes though, if this language thing is the same way for them. I´m not sure if swedes understand danish as good as us or even find norwegian spoken/written easy? If you have questions about the language I will be more then happy to tell
    As someone whose first language is Swedish - from around the Stockholm area - I can say that I find Norwegian far easier to understand than spoken Danish, which I find pretty much incomprehensible. Written Danish I can understand quite well, though - it is quite similar to 19th century Swedish in spelling. (Swedish spelling was modernised during, I believe, the early 20th century.) The thing about Danish is that they swallow quite a lot of the word when speaking, which I think is why it is difficult for many of us non-Danes to understand the pronunciation, rather than the words themselves being too different.

  5. #25
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    250

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameFace View Post
    Thank you Fluture for this post.

    By the logic of OP quoted, there should be a public vote at the end of every season to vote off those skaters who are seen to have 'no perspectives in the future', or that skaters not doing certain things/frequently doing them (either being quads/3As or having a winning streak/high scores/'reputation') should decide (or worse, be forced) to retire. It's a very sad utopia created just because someone seems to operate in very particular, 'exclusive' subjective standards and holding skaters to them regarding competitiveness and retirement notions - we should remember to not use OUR favourite skaters or skaters who are winning ones as strict determinant of someone else's retirements, determinants of others' decisions whether continue competing actively or not.

    Real life & athletic reality are not the arena taken from 'Hunger Games' or other fictional creation to that date and there are multiple factors to consider for each skater before deciding on continuing I believe. I wish we, as an audience, would rather encourage skaters to continue (if healthy and poised to do so, to challenge themselves, if there are no personal/mental/physical obstacles to do so) than opining/speculating who among healthy, just maybe not the most successful skaters, should now retire. And what's even worse is putting such 'no perspectives' mind-set upon skaters themselves, voicing that with no consideration over the real state they are currently in; 'perspectives' in general is a pretty broad term in my personal opinion and each skaters should define it individually - if someone still has a competitive drive and eagerness to improve in their OWN right, why to retire just because e.g. the competition in your country is very high? I would like to see skaters come into the term by themselves, with no 'concern' expressed towards them regarding 'no perspectives' taken subjectively in the eye of beholder.
    However it would be a lot to fun to retire skater by the choosing of the forum community lets be serious again: i don't believe kostner is retiring. She is still on the ice nearly everyday according to her instastories. And she looks very fit and competitive weight, not like some others in the list. And she never
    announced retirement

  6. #26
    Tripping on the Podium VenusHalley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    560
    Country: Czech Republic

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by halulupu View Post
    However it would be a lot to fun to retire skater by the choosing of the forum community lets be serious again: i don't believe kostner is retiring. She is still on the ice nearly everyday according to her instastories. And she looks very fit and competitive weight, not like some others in the list. And she never
    announced retirement
    I would love love love her to stay, but she cancelled her Japan shows because of her chronic hip problems and said she needs to rework her skating because of this. So I am not sure she will continue. Sure she could compete for next ten years in Italy at this rate, if she wanted.

  7. #27
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    20
    Country: Finland

    1 Not allowed!
    It was quite funny that in the famous fictive criminal tv-series "the Bridge" the Swedish and the Danish police officers understood each other fluently while the one was speaking Swedish and the other was speaking Danish. And the tv-spectators even in Finland knew it couldn't be true.

  8. #28
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7,182

    0 Not allowed!
    Is Kostner competing this year? Does anyone know if there is a show with say Adelina, Yulia, Anna and Elena? Retirement or not it would be nice to see these skaters.

  9. #29
    In love with too many ladies sweetice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    892
    Country: Italy

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Is Kostner competing this year?
    Still no announcements about that but she is on the list of skaters expected on the "Rock The Rink" tour http://rocktherink.com/

    There's almost no chance to see her on the Gran Prix 2019/2020

  10. #30
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    735

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a show with say Adelina, Yulia, Anna and Elena?
    Yulia is announced for Hyoen 2019 (here is the cast, photographed in costumes: https://hyoen.jp/cast.html).

    Daisuke Takahashi, Stephane Lambiel, Shizuka Arakawa, Yulia Lipnitskaya, Akiko Suzuki, Nobunari Oda, and Kanako Murakami are among the performers for Hyoen 2019.

    Hyoen combines figure skating and kabuki. The shows will be July 26-28 at Yokohama Arena.
    [after: https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/...26213340667904]

    Hope to see a broadcast...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •