Artistry Vs. the Quad | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Artistry Vs. the Quad

anya_angie

Final Flight
Ladskater said:
Even tracing figures can be fascinating and challenging

Sorry but I would think to a blind person "seeing" (or hearing in many of my friends' cases) would be kind of dull, even if the music were exciting. I downloaded some figures, and don't get it. Of course, I have little sight, I can't see the lines or patterns on the ice at all unless I am actually perhaps a foot away from the ice (and I mean... if I were on the ice itself, kneeling, looking down directly at the ice). What I love about skating today is it allows us to get into it because we don't have to have eyes to know great skating, like Yagudin, Plushenko, Kulik (who I would take over both of them any day).

I agree with Dikksk8fan, I choose a combination of both quads and artistry. Like Yagudin, Kulik, Plushenko. But I love Johnny. He has a quad, but does not NEED it in his programs (YET, but I think he will need it in his arsenal someday).

S

SkateFan4Life

Ladskater said:
When Kurt Browning landed the first quad in competition it was an exciting moment because we knew the quad was coming and it would not be long before someone achieved it. Who knew one of the most artistic skaters on the planet would be the first to land the quad? Then Elvis came along and raised the bar by making the quad a standard jump. Now we see skaters like Plushenko and Goebel landing Quads every time they step on the ice. In fact, I have seen so many quads now it has almost lost its original excitement.

I agree with you that the quad has become a staple of many of the men's programs, but, unfortunately, that often has shoved artistry to the side. Quite frankly, could anyone really call Timothy Goebel and "artistic" skater, with his slumped shoulders, poor posture, and lack of musicality? IMHO, of course. Goebel is an incredible jumper, but figure skating isn't just about jumps.

Kurt Browning was hardly an artistic skater when he landed the first quad at the 1988 Worlds. He was a jumping jack with little artistry at that time. Of course, he matured into a wonderfully artistic and inventive skater who also just happened to have a quad. đź‘Ť

IMHO, I would much, much rather see the men skate clean programs with triples than see sloppy programs marred with falls in quad attempts.

millyskate

Rinkside
SkateFan4Life said:
IMHO, I would much, much rather see the men skate clean programs with triples than see sloppy programs marred with falls in quad attempts.
I'm not sure i totally agree, but even then, someone like buttle has really sloppy triples let alone quads...

Syncrogirl

Spectator
There was an article in the paper today and Sandhu was quoted as saying he wished the quad was worth more and that he didn't think it was fair that for example at the Grand Prix Final someone without a quad (Buttle) would place ahead of someone who landed the quad ( Chinese competitor - dont remember his name). I think Emmanuel should be happy that artistry is a bigger factor these days. It is the only way he can keep himself up in the standings when he has that "occasional off" day :)

It is exciting to see big tricks like quads but if there is nothing in between it's like watching grass grow sometimes. You wish you could rewind to the next one.