June 15 Show to Benefit Michael Weiss Foundation | Page 2 | Golden Skate

June 15 Show to Benefit Michael Weiss Foundation

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I did! I used to attend Michael Weiss' shows and it was so good to have him back!! I saw videos were posted already. Let me know if you have any questions!

magictodo, I have a question:

Did you hear any word -- either "officially" or even only unofficially through the grapevine -- as to whether Michael Weiss' shows once again are going to become a recurring thing??

Or was this show just a special one-time "comeback" on the occasion of the grand opening of the new center?

So happens that this time I already had other travel plans that were not flexible on short notice :sad4:, but otherwise I would have dropped everything to jump on a train to see Avonley and Vadym.

Hoping :pray: that there will be a "next time" to see them in a Michael Weiss show.​

Anyway, I'm so glad that you were able to attend. :yay:

(p.s. In hindsight, I have realized that you had said early on in this thread that you were interested in going … meaning that my post in the U.S. dance thread was preaching to the choir. :hopelessness:)

ETA:
Oh, and another question (just out of curiosity):
Any ballpark estimate of how many were in the audience? I hope the turnout was relatively good.​

I will be skating in the show with my theater team! ...

:cool: :cool: :cool:

concorde

Medalist

Did you hear any word -- either "officially" or even only unofficially through the grapevine -- as to whether Michael Weiss' shows once again are going to become a recurring thing??

Or was this show just a special one-time "comeback" on the occasion of the grand opening of the new center?

I would be greatly shock if this is more than a one off.

In the past, the show was run primarily by the Weiss family with a bunch of volunteers on the day of the show. I asked Mike's mom about two years ago if there would be another show and she say flat out - No. They (the Weiss family) were all getting older and they were just worn out by doing the shows over the years. Not only did they (meaning the family) put on the actual show, they also oversaw all of the logistics (venue, volunteers, all the skater's travel arrangement including accommodations, and fund raising). Also most of Mike old skating friends have gotten older.

In recent years, Mike skated out of Reston and Luis used to coach at Reston - hence the link between Luis and Mike (I am not sure if their skating careers overlapped, maybe?).

Fyi. Mike has now moved onto other things (his youngest is now in college) and skating is no longer his primary focus. He is now building/renovating very high end homes around McLean, Virginia. His mom is still a trainer based out of Reston.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
https://mitra7.wixsite.com/traintoskate/luiz-taifas

More confused, looked him up? Its amazing he opened this great place!
But Olympian? He competed at a JR World's in Canada, 11th not 5th?

Hmm, it doesn't appear that most everything in this write-up has any truth to it. That's a shame. Back in the day, Michael Weiss' website had in big letters that he was a World Champion. (JrWorld yes, but I always felt that was kind of slimy). This guy is taking embellishment to an extreme. :(

ETA: It also appears this guy never even medaled at a Romania National Championship. What the heck, is this a joke? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_Figure_Skating_Championships

nam57

Rinkside
Doesn’t the PSA have rules about embellishments on your resume! This is a clear case of it! The code of ethics states:
2. No Member shall represent themselves using false or deceptive statements intended to mislead.

magictodo

On the Ice
I haven't heard anything about this becoming a recurring thing ... though I hope it does! My guess is there were 500-600 people there. The venue seats 3,500 and there were a lot of empty sections. The main problem is, they didn't get the word out to the DC skating community. The coaches at my rink hadn't heard about it until I told them, and I only learned about it because the Washington Business Journal did an article about the new rink opening. They needed to get the word out to all of the rinks and coaches. I mean, come on, you have Nathan Chen there!

I heard through the skating grapevine that the rink has hired Michael as their director of shows. No official confirmation, of course, though I hope it's the case that we'd get more shows. It seems like a good venue for Stars on Ice, since DC never gets it and the closest show is Hershey, PA. No idea how many seats they typically sell for Stars on Ice, but DC only has the huge Capitol One Arena downtown and no mid-size venues until now.

Also, I have to say, Kevin Aymoz is a national treasure and I loved seeing him skate. I've become a big fan of his after the last season and I can't wait to see how he develops!!!!!!! I gave him a standing ovation and the folks around me had no idea who he was. :confused:

So happens that this time I already had other travel plans that were not flexible on short notice :sad4:, but otherwise I would have dropped everything to jump on a train to see Avonley and Vadym.

Hoping :pray: that there will be a "next time" to see them in a Michael Weiss show.​

Anyway, I'm so glad that you were able to attend. :yay:

(p.s. In hindsight, I have realized that you had said early on in this thread that you were interested in going … meaning that my post in the U.S. dance thread was preaching to the choir. :hopelessness:)

ETA:
Oh, and another question (just out of curiosity):
Any ballpark estimate of how many were in the audience? I hope the turnout was relatively good.​

:cool: :cool: :cool:

twirlingblades

Medalist
I haven't heard anything about this becoming a recurring thing ... though I hope it does! My guess is there were 500-600 people there. The venue seats 3,500 and there were a lot of empty sections. The main problem is, they didn't get the word out to the DC skating community. The coaches at my rink hadn't heard about it until I told them, and I only learned about it because the Washington Business Journal did an article about the new rink opening. They needed to get the word out to all of the rinks and coaches. I mean, come on, you have Nathan Chen there!

I heard through the skating grapevine that the rink has hired Michael as their director of shows. No official confirmation, of course, though I hope it's the case that we'd get more shows. It seems like a good venue for Stars on Ice, since DC never gets it and the closest show is Hershey, PA. No idea how many seats they typically sell for Stars on Ice, but DC only has the huge Capitol One Arena downtown and no mid-size venues until now.

Also, I have to say, Kevin Aymoz is a national treasure and I loved seeing him skate. I've become a big fan of his after the last season and I can't wait to see how he develops!!!!!!! I gave him a standing ovation and the folks around me had no idea who he was. [emoji782]

What rink? ION is a much bigger deal in northern VA (opposed to the city) because of coach shifting. Just like what happened to Reston when Ashburn opened years ago. We lost a bunch of coaches at my rink to ION, including Ruslan Goncharov.

magictodo

On the Ice
What rink? ION is a much bigger deal in northern VA (opposed to the city) because of coach shifting. Just like what happened to Reston when Ashburn opened years ago. We lost a bunch of coaches at my rink to ION, including Ruslan Goncharov.

St. James and Mount Vernon Rec Center (Springfield and Alexandria). As far as I know, they haven't lost any coaches. They knew the rink was supposed to open soon but hadn't heard anything about the ice show.

twirlingblades

Medalist
St. James and Mount Vernon Rec Center (Springfield and Alexandria). As far as I know, they haven't lost any coaches. They knew the rink was supposed to open soon but hadn't heard anything about the ice show.

Ah, I see. Those rinks are much farther in relation to ION. I literally have a new clause in my contract saying I can’t teach at a different rink within 15 miles of my rink, which includes ion and Reston lmao.

Ion was supposed to open 18 months ago but they had a lot of problems (construction issues, etc). So it doesn’t surprise me that the opening has stayed super local. They’ve been pushing back their official opening date for 12 months.

concorde

Medalist
None of the full time Reston coaches has left for ION. We lost one to St.James but was for the skating director position, not another coaching position.

To me the real question is what skaters are moving to ION?

twirlingblades

Medalist
None of the full time Reston coaches has left for ION. We lost one to St.James but was for the skating director position, not another coaching position.

To me the real question is what skaters are moving to ION?

It seems like they imported a lot of ice dancers. Also, Ashburn lost a lot of ice dancers because Ruslan and Daphne left to coach at Ion.

concorde

Medalist
It seems like they imported a lot of ice dancers. Also, Ashburn lost a lot of ice dancers because Ruslan and Daphne left to coach at Ion.
It is relatively well known that many of Ashburn's freestyle sessions did not have enough room for all skaters that wanted to be on them. It is not surprising that some skaters would choose to leave Ashburn if they were guaranteed ice at the different venue.

twirlingblades

Medalist
It is relatively well known that many of Ashburn's freestyle sessions did not have enough room for all skaters that wanted to be on them. It is not surprising that some skaters would choose to leave Ashburn if they were guaranteed ice at the different venue.

Not disputing that, it’s just been a much higher number of ice dancers (across many levels) as compared to other disciplines since ice dance coaches left! I’m actually surprised more skaters haven’t announced they’re leaving.