Great Villain Programs in Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Great Villain Programs in Figure Skating

enzet

On the Ice
i couldn't care less as well, but i wasn't talking about my reaction :biggrin: it's the topic that is sensitive, trying to corrupt souls is not:laugh:(i mean, on this very forum we were discussing on whether it's approriate or not using as a theme a recent historical tragedy). i hate censorship, i wouldn't ban anything (within reason) and sometimes i think nowadays we overreact to too many things, but i can understand that skaters and teams might want to avoid any unnecessary controversy . besides on stage scarpia is one of the characters in a greater context and is functional to the story

I know what you mean and the discussions you're referring to.
But I'm actually a huge fan of Trusova's Big Spender program, so it's quite clear what I think about that.:dev3:
Not that I think Big Spender should be associated with a 13 year old girl, but the program itself was actually really good.
The best she's had so far IMHO and much better than most of the other programs that season that were more age appropriate.:confused2:

OK, back to villains!:dev2:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thank you thank you thank you. What a fantastic idea for a thread. And thank you everyone who has posted links to these programs.

Please note, skaters, choreographers, coaches and ESPECIALLY judges: there is more to figure skating life than yet ANOTHER mushy quasi-romantic program. Or pretty just for the sake of prettiness.

ETA: One of the reasons G/P's Hitchcock program is one of my all time favorites is because it actually has very interesting things to say not only about women as victims of male violence, but about what can and often be an exploitative relationship between (male) "artist" and (female) "muse." Plus Paul just evokes the essence of Anthony Perkins in Psycho to such perfection it's downright creepy--in a good way. A very good way.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you thank you thank you. What a fantastic idea for a thread. And thank you everyone who has posted links to these programs.

Please note, skaters, choreographers, coaches and ESPECIALLY judges: there is more to figure skating life than yet ANOTHER mushy quasi-romantic program. Or pretty just for the sake of prettiness.

ETA: One of the reasons G/P's Hitchcock program is one of my all time favorites is because it actually has very interesting things to say not only about women as victims of male violence, but about what can and often be an exploitative relationship between (male) "artist" and (female) "muse." Plus Paul just evokes the essence of Anthony Perkins in Psycho to such perfection it's downright creepy--in a good way. A very good way.

I think villain programs could work particularly well in Ice Dance, I don’t know enough ID programs to know what’s out there.

But my pet peeve in ID is fake sex “get a room” programs, so good villains would certainly be different. I’ll need to look up “Hitchcock”. That’s the kind of villainy I could get into: scary but not for me, outré. And I was scared to death by Psycho:biggrin:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think villain programs could work particularly well in Ice Dance, I don’t know enough ID programs to know what’s out there.

But my pet peeve in ID is fake sex “get a room” programs, so good villains would certainly be different. I’ll need to look up “Hitchcock”. That’s the kind of villainy I could get into: scary but not for me, outré. And I was scared to death by Psycho:biggrin:

LOL, I will now have to add "get a room programs" to "Montreal Mush" when I do Dance recaps, because it is SPOT ON. Heck, H/D have made a career out of them...

rugbyfan

On the Ice
LOL, I will now have to add "get a room programs" to "Montreal Mush" when I do Dance recaps, because it is SPOT ON. Heck, H/D have made a career out of them...

Ha, ha. ... off topic, but surely the top Get a Room program is Klimova Ponomorenko free dance at Albertville?

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist

Ooh, this is pairs, not ice dance, but here's Zabiiako and Enbert's Alexander Nevsky SP. She represents the Livonian Order, so whether or not the character counts as a villain might depend on who you ask, but I think the vast majority of Orthodox Russians would say that she definitely does. :biggrin:

And for historical context:
The Battle on the Ice
Alexander Nevsky

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz3cghZDoa0

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks:thank: you can always depend on Piper and Paul for original programs, even villainous ones;)

I've always loved that they have been "different" from the start. Very refreshing.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Tessa Virtue’s portrayal of Carmen in V/M’s 2012-13 free dance. Damn, I wouldn’t want to run into that version of her in a dark alley.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

But my pet peeve in ID is fake sex “get a room” programs

I take it you didn’t like H/D’s Caught in the Rain? That entire free dance was pure sex. :laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I take it you didn’t like H/D’s Caught in the Rain? That entire free dance was pure sex. :laugh:

Do we have the start of a new thread: Get a room, yay or nay :dev3:

I need to admit that I am not a huge Madi and Zach fan, and no, that was not my favorite program;).But I’d not want to pick on them, there are many others :laugh:

ETA: And I just realized I saw that live in SOI last year, I think. They are extraordinarily skilled, and that routine was just, :shrug: for me. Like why?

Last edited:
:love::love::love: Thanks a million for bringing this up, doris! :thank: To this day, no other Carmen have ever surpassed yet for me. :cool:

Her face alone!

So, Alexandra Trusova is doing the Night King from Game of Thrones. Will she be portraying the Night King himself, or will she be the girl who stabs him? (Sort of a semi-villain herself).

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Her face alone!

So, Alexandra Trusova is doing the Night King from Game of Thrones. Will she be portraying the Night King himself, or will she be the girl who stabs him? (Sort of a semi-villain herself).

She's going to be Danaerys.