Team Italy | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Team Italy

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Frangipani has been enrolled in the police forces and assigned to their sport group. This means chance to full time train while having monthly salary from the state, chance to keep the job after retiring from competitive careers, etc.

The two applications to the public call by Ministry were Frangipani and Della Torre. Frangipani won based on previous sport results.

Interesting. When the public call was put out months ago including a "male athlete, figure skating-single", I assumed it was for Grassl (Rizzo is already enrolled in another army sport group). Either another army's sport group (we have 6 of them, I think) will put out a call for a skater in the following months, or he has different plans.

isn't grassl too young? and probably he is still in high school

Andrea82

Medalist
isn't grassl too young? and probably he is still in high school

17 was the minimum age to take part to the call which was published on 11th April. Grassl's birthday is on 4 April. Education title required was middle school. So technically he could have tried.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Reviving this thread to let you know about a new Ice Dance partnership:

Carolina Moscheni and Francesco Fioretti

Carolina announced it in a Facebook post about 20 minutes ago. (I'll add the link when and if she changes the privacy settings to "Public").

CaroLiza_fan

Andrea82

Medalist
Italian Federation just published the list of 2021/22 National Team, called "Potential Olympians"

Men
Daniel Grassl
Matteo Rizzo
Gabriele Frangipani

Ladies
Lara Naki Gutmann
Ginevra Negrello
Lucrezia Beccari
Alessia Tornaghi
Marina Piredda

Pairs
Nicole Della Monica/Matteo Guarise
Rebecca Ghilardi/Filippo Ambrosini
Sara Conti/Niccolò Macii

Dance
Charléne Guignard/Marco Fabbri
Carolina Moscheni/Francesco Fioretti
Chiara Calderone/Francesco Riva
Carolina Portesi Peroni/Michael Chrastecky

pete

On the Ice
Interesting that they included Marina Piredda for the ladies. I don't think she competed at all this season however I remember she had a really good showing at WTT in 2019.

pete

On the Ice
Does anyone know if Matteo and Nicole plan to retire after the olympics?

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Does anyone know if Matteo and Nicole plan to retire after the olympics?
In the latest ISU article about them, Nicole says "We really want to give what we have left for this probably last season" so it sadly sounds as if they are planning to retire. They'll have been to 3 Olympics together (Nicole will have 4 total!) and have had a great career. If they could grab a medal at Europeans to top it off, that would be wonderful!

In other Italian figure skating news....

2021/22 Grand Prix Assignments for the Italian Skaters:

Skate America: Daniel Grassl
Skate Canada: Guignard/Fabbri
Cup of China: Daniel Grassl, Della Monica/Guarise, Ghilardi/Ambrosini
NHK: Matteo Rizzo
IdF: Gabriele Frangipani
Rostelecom: Matteo Rizzo, Della Monica/Guarise, Guignard/Fabbri

Somewhat surprisingly, G/F got an excellent draw of events, and look to be favourites for 2 silver medals (and hopefully, fingers crossed, please don't let this jinx them, a spot in the GPF!).
DM/G look to be solid favourites for a bronze at CoC, but will be in for a fight to medal at Rostelecom.
I'm excited to see Frangipani get a GP spot too!

Also, I've set up Fan Fests for Ghilardi/Ambrosini and Moscheni/Fioretti !

pete

On the Ice
In the latest ISU article about them, Nicole says "We really want to give what we have left for this probably last season" so it sadly sounds as if they are planning to retire. They'll have been to 3 Olympics together (Nicole will have 4 total!) and have had a great career. If they could grab a medal at Europeans to top it off, that would be wonderful!

In other Italian figure skating news....

2021/22 Grand Prix Assignments for the Italian Skaters:

Skate America: Daniel Grassl
Skate Canada: Guignard/Fabbri
Cup of China: Daniel Grassl, Della Monica/Guarise, Ghilardi/Ambrosini
NHK: Matteo Rizzo
IdF: Gabriele Frangipani
Rostelecom: Matteo Rizzo, Della Monica/Guarise, Guignard/Fabbri

Somewhat surprisingly, G/F got an excellent draw of events, and look to be favourites for 2 silver medals (and hopefully, fingers crossed, please don't let this jinx them, a spot in the GPF!).
DM/G look to be solid favourites for a bronze at CoC, but will be in for a fight to medal at Rostelecom.
I'm excited to see Frangipani get a GP spot too!

Also, I've set up Fan Fests for Ghilardi/Ambrosini and Moscheni/Fioretti !
Well not surprising giving their age and their injuries. I'm not too familiar with the juniors. Any promising dance and pair team coming up? Hopefully one of the women will rise to the occasion leading up to the Olympics in Milano. Would be nice to have a strong team representing Italy in the team event at home.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Well not surprising giving their age and their injuries. I'm not too familiar with the juniors. Any promising dance and pair team coming up? Hopefully one of the women will rise to the occasion leading up to the Olympics in Milano. Would be nice to have a strong team representing Italy in the team event at home.
In dance, there's Carolina Portesi Peroni and Michael Chrastecky just about to move to seniors. They are quite a promising team, coached by Barbara Fusar Poli. I think the other top junior dance teams (Calderari/Cilli and Talli/Frasca) have at least another year of junior eligibility. Carolina Moscheni and Francesco Fioretti also seem to have come together nicely in seniors, and will hope to challenge for an Olympic spot at Nebelhorn.

In pairs, there's Sara Conti and Niccolo Macii. They're already in senior (aged 20/25 respectively) and have been together for 2 seasons. They have solid sbs jumps (3s+2t, 3t) and managed to beat Ghilardi/Ambrosini in one stage of the Gran Premio Italia last season. If they can get a second throw triple (I would imagine they're working on it now), then they and G/A will hopefully be able to push each other throughout the next quad (similar to the friendly rivalry we saw between DM/G and M/H last quad).

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
we look well in men, dance and pairs, women is another pair of..skates :LOL: my boys have little chance to medal at their gps, i'm just hoping they can do their best, also i'm happy for Frangipani, he might not be one of my children but he's very promising and he deserves his chance to shine

pete

On the Ice
Do you guys think that the women can qualify an olympic spot at Nebelhorn? And who would you send?

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Do you guys think that the women can qualify an olympic spot at Nebelhorn? And who would you send?
I'm not sure who I'd send, at this point. Probably Gutmann, but if Negrello continues to improve she could be in the mix. If Tornaghi comes back stronger, she and Gutmann have very similar PBs (179.59 for Gutmann v 178.60 for Tornaghi).

Whomever Italy chooses to send will have tough competition for the spot. My first guess would be that 4 of the spots will go to whomever the US send, Paganini, Kurakova and Safonova, barring any major disasters. Then, it will be a bit of scrummage for the other spots: Méité, Leung and Craine as the primary challengers to the Italian lady (all have similar PBs) with potential outside shots of Ramashova and Shabotova (and probably at least one other skater I've forgotten!). So, I think it's do-able, but will be very close and very dependent on who skates well on the day.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Congrats to another team Italy for advancing to the finals of the Euro 2021 (y)

popopopopoooopooo :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: (nobody lliterally saw this coming anyway)

And hopefully this other team Italy will win it. (Says the guy who has no interest whatsoever in football, and hasn't watched any of the tournament).

The British media have been unbearable all through this tournament. Just like they are during every tournament that England play in. Going on and on and on about England, and how they are so much better than everybody else. And barely mentioning the other Home Nations that had done so well to qualify for the tournament.

For goodness sake, they still go on about England winning the 1966 World Cup at every opportunity! :bang:

I dread to imagine what the media would be like if England won. So, I really hope Italy win.

That said, I do tend to support Italians anyway. So, (bringing this back to figure skating), I hope somebody does qualify an Olympic Ladies slot at the Nebelhorn.

So, what's the latest on Carolina... ;)

CaroLiza_fan

icybear

Medalist
And hopefully this other team Italy will win it. (Says the guy who has no interest whatsoever in football, and hasn't watched any of the tournament).

The British media have been unbearable all through this tournament. Just like they are during every tournament that England play in. Going on and on and on about England, and how they are so much better than everybody else. And barely mentioning the other Home Nations that had done so well to qualify for the tournament.

For goodness sake, they still go on about England winning the 1966 World Cup at every opportunity! :bang:
l anthe
I dread to imagine what the media would be like if England won. So, I really hope Italy win.

That said, I do tend to support Italians anyway. So, (bringing this back to figure skating), I hope somebody does qualify an Olympic Ladies slot at the Nebelhorn.

So, what's the latest on Carolina... ;)

CaroLiza_fan
Not just the British media. Their obnoxious fans as well. Booing the national anthem of the other team. Shining laser at the goalie eyes during the penalty.