Oksana Baiul's 1994 Oly LP and SOI | Golden Skate

Oksana Baiul's 1994 Oly LP and SOI

Vash01

Medalist
One thing that really bothers me is since last year SOI has been hyping Oksana's Swan Lake (Tchaikovsky) in SOI as her Olympic gold medal program. This year it was even more blatant (ref: SOI on NBC this afternoon). They actually showed Oksana in her Broadway pink& feather outfit, and Roslyn said she skated her LP to Swan Lake, and she has resurrected it!!! Oksana never skated to this version of SL in her eligible career. She skated to the Black Swan portion of Tchikovsky's ballet for her SP. Her LP was skated to the Broadway show tunes, and her exhibition was skated to Saints Saens 'Swan' from the Carnival of Animals. SOI has been promoting Oksana's new Swan Lake as her OGM LP (or something based on her OGM LP). BTW this Swan Lake program is pretty awful. A lot of cross overs into jumps that she barely managed to land- nothing like the sophisticated Oksana at age 16.

Why does SOI not acknowledge Oksana's LP from 1994 as what it was- a medley of Broadway show tunes? I liked that program, although it wasn't as sophisticated as her SP. Her Black Swan SP was one of the best SP's ever, but that music has nothing to do with what she skated to, last year with SOI. Some moves are same as in her Swan exhibition, which was skated to Saens Saints, and not Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. That exhibition was beautiful. Last year's Oksana was just a ghost of what she used to be (I have not seen her this year yet).

Vash

Eeyora

Final Flight
This is getting rediculous. At Ice Wars two years in a row Verne Lunquest has reported her LP was to Sain-Saans "The Swan" When will these people get their facts straight?

valuvsmk

Rinkside
Vash01 said:
One thing that really bothers me is since last year SOI has been hyping Oksana's Swan Lake (Tchaikovsky) in SOI as her Olympic gold medal program. This year it was even more blatant (ref: SOI on NBC this afternoon). They actually showed Oksana in her Broadway pink& feather outfit, and Roslyn said she skated her LP to Swan Lake, and she has resurrected it!!! Oksana never skated to this version of SL in her eligible career. She skated to the Black Swan portion of Tchikovsky's ballet for her SP. Her LP was skated to the Broadway show tunes, and her exhibition was skated to Saints Saens 'Swan' from the Carnival of Animals. SOI has been promoting Oksana's new Swan Lake as her OGM LP (or something based on her OGM LP). BTW this Swan Lake program is pretty awful. A lot of cross overs into jumps that she barely managed to land- nothing like the sophisticated Oksana at age 16.

Why does SOI not acknowledge Oksana's LP from 1994 as what it was- a medley of Broadway show tunes? I liked that program, although it wasn't as sophisticated as her SP. Her Black Swan SP was one of the best SP's ever, but that music has nothing to do with what she skated to, last year with SOI. Some moves are same as in her Swan exhibition, which was skated to Saens Saints, and not Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. That exhibition was beautiful. Last year's Oksana was just a ghost of what she used to be (I have not seen her this year yet).

Vash

And, IMHO, that LP was a horrific piece of crap.

But what can one expect from the "Olympic" network which, from latest news reports, is likely to have Scott Hamilton and Rosalynn Sumners calling the ladies skating events from Torino? :p I expect to have to tape it with the volume turned down all the way so as not to be sick.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
valuvsmk said:
And, IMHO, that LP was a horrific piece of crap.

But what can one expect from the "Olympic" network which, from latest news reports, is likely to have Scott Hamilton and Rosalynn Sumners calling the ladies skating events from Torino? :p I expect to have to tape it with the volume turned down all the way so as not to be sick.

NOOOOOOOO anyone but Roz! Tracy Wilson would be my first choice (after Dick and Peggy).

Vash01

Medalist
I actually liked Oksana's 1994 LP. It suited her young age, and she delivered it. It was just not Swan Lake.

After the kind of commentating we heard from SLC, I would rather have Roz than Sandra B. I don't trust Tracy W. either. There seem to be strong national biases in both these commentators.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I don't care for Roz or Sandra either. I hope neither of them commentate the Olympics.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
1. Oksana. In 1994 she did indeed present a touching and beautiful image on the ice. I don't see why she'd want to resurrect that little girl image as a mature woman.

2. Commenting. I like Tracy Wilson. She tends to substantiate (sp?) whatever she says, so her comments end up more informative and less biased than most.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Dick and Peggy are with ABC. I miss them when they are not commentating at an event.