2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Did my eyes fooled me, or has Petr grown a liittle even after Junior Nationals? :unsure:

I thought the same, he has grown a lot this year in general, he looks taller at every event and if you look back only 2 seasons ago he was very tiny.

He still has a shot at the podium, but there are so many skaters in that position.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Fortuitously, the final warm up group will be during my lunch break at work, so i am gonna be watching it life. Considering chocolates...

starla16

Medalist
so are Mozalev and Gumennik moving to seniors next season ?

Russia has now many depth in mens Kolayada, Samarin, Aliev, Danielian but all are inconsistent, I'd say the same for these two upcoming seniors.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

Russia has now many depth in mens Kolayada, Samarin, Aliev, Danielian but all are inconsistent, I'd say the same for these two upcoming seniors.

You are forgetting Ignatov. I don’t think they need to rush either in seniors.

Well, with all the love in the world to Mozalev, consistency is his strongest suit. He skated 8 major competitions in a row, 2jGp events, jgpf, yoly, team yoly, senior nationals, junior nationals and junior worlds, medaling in each and every event except for senior nationals. Given that it’s the only event in which he skated senior program, well...

Also, save for Chen, he might have been the man who landed the most attempted jump passes succesfuly this season.

How much more consistent do you want Mozalev to be?

starla16

Medalist
Well, with all the love in the world to Mozalev, consistency is his strongest suit. He skated 8 major competitions in a row, 2jGp events, jgpf, yoly, team yoly, senior nationals, junior nationals and junior worlds, medaling in each and every event except for senior nationals.

so far, no russian men that have moved into seniors has stayed consistent, to be fair mens have higher risk for quads thus the higher chances of error but still even Samsonov is showing cracks already in juniors.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Contrary to expectations, there's at least a decent chance that Russia wins more JWC medals in men's than in ladies' now.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

By men's standards (they are all inconsistent, look at here Shun Sato was by far the strongest at GPF and here not even on the podium, Kagiyama could have been a 3rd, it was very close) they are actually consistent enough.

Mozalev easily i think the most consistent among the russians juniors and seniors this season, Gumennik is perhaps a bit more talented (more into the performance, stronger skating skills, he has quad sal and quad lutz, more interesting spin positions) but less consistent.

I think this is a very good generation, you'll see more from these skaters in the future unlike the previous ones with Erokhov, Savosin,... which really came and went.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
so far, no russian men that have moved into seniors has stayed consistent, to be fair mens have higher risk for quads thus the higher chances of error but still even Samsonov is showing cracks already in juniors.

My goodness, this thread is tedious as ever. Nothing but negativity for the Russian men all of the time, no matter how well they do. Look...ALL SENIOR MEN, regardless of the flag, except for possibly Nathan, are inconsistent. Can you just be happy for those who are doing a good job NOW? Andrei, Petr, Dima, and Artur all did extremely well this season. All of them have put out multiple performances they can be proud of, unlike some others I can think of who have a good skate maaaaybe once in a season if they're lucky. And Daniil is growing up and needs time to adjust. Maybe he will and maybe he won't. Nobody can predict the future. (Especially not you who was so sure that M/G were going to dominate everything....:laugh:)

starla16

Medalist
By men's standards (they are all inconsistent, look at here Shun Sato was by far the strongest at GPF and here not even on the podium, Kagiyama could have been a 3rd, it was very close) they are actually consistent enough.

Mozalev easily i think the most consistent among the russians juniors and seniors this season, Gumennik is perhaps a bit more talented (more into the performance, stronger skating skills, he has quad sal and quad lutz, more interesting spin positions) but less consistent.

I think this is a very good generation, you'll see more from these skaters in the future unlike the previous ones with Erokhov, Savosin,... which really came and went.

Erokhov and Savosin were 18 year olds still competing in juniors didn't bode well for their future already. I think Mozalev was the surprise this season he was a nobody with no previous goo results in the junior circuit.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

But it seems better now with more strong men than before. Till recently it depended on one leader too much and when he didn't deliver (Misha, don't be afraid and show yourself :) ), it affected the rest. Now there is a chance that when one has a bad skate, the others can compensate it. Of course all those men are in fact still boys and anything can happen, but finally there is some hope.

I'm just sad for Daniil Samsonov, he would have such a great chance today. Let's hope he will be OK soon and next season will deliver.

starla16

Medalist
My goodness, this thread is tedious as ever. Nothing but negativity for the Russian men all of the time, no matter how well they do. Look...ALL SENIOR MEN, regardless of the flag, except for possibly Nathan, are inconsistent. Can you just be happy for those who are doing a good job NOW? Andrei, Petr, Dima all did extremely well this season. All of them have put out multiple performances they can be proud of, unlike some others I can think of who have a good skate maaaaybe once in a season if they're lucky. And Daniil is growing up and needs time to adjust. Maybe he will and maybe he won't. Nobody can predict the future. (Especially not you who was so sure that M/G were going to dominate everything....:laugh:)

your right but 1 season isnt enough to show you are consistent. M/G had a good result in their senior debut it was just unfortunate their SP mistake was in nationals were the field has depth, they would have easily won silver in Euros even gold had B/K made mistakes. Mind you they are bronze medalists in the GPF.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Erokhov and Savosin were 18 year olds still competing in juniors didn't bode well for their future already. I think Mozalev was the surprise this season he was a nobody with no previous goo results in the junior circuit.

He showed good potential at JGP Ostrava 2018, where he won, he just needed to be stable. This season he is getting better and reliable.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Last season he had a very strong start but missed his chances for JGPF and JW with two bad skates in Yerevan and a shaky one at Junior Nationals.

On the other two i think especially Savosin has always had a wonky technique, and when you start to add quads everything become even shakier.

I don't think transitioning into seniors at 18 is necessarily bad, but it's important to work on the issues when you're still are in juniors, cause in seniors you'll need stable quads. That's why with Samsonov i hope they'll take their time to adjust the technique as the body grows, cause he currently has issues with the triple axel as well.

One good example here was Gogolev who also got the jumps very early, last year he had the quad lutz, quad sal and toe at the age of 13, and now he's facing that transitional period.

But then again look at Gumennik, 3-4 years ago he couldn't land 3a and quads consistently, and now he has them, so there's a chance.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

Samsonov is not the most remarkable for his consistency. He skates beautifully, fast, fluid, he throws himself into jumps.

Mozalev, on the other hand, is not as pretty to look at, but his balance is outstanding, and his frame (not to jinx) is great. He is flexible, he is light on his feet, if not lightning fast. He is also showing remarkable competition nerves, even temperament, and willingness to work towards improvement. What he does not have is the overwhelming raw jaw-dropping talent. he makes up for it in grit and willingness.

That’s all conjecture...

Anyway, I think Mozalev hard earned overwhelming, heartfelt praise today.

But that’s just me...

vorravorra

Record Breaker

Gumennik needs to settle down with his changing body and then his consistency can be judged (fingers crossed he doesn't get any taller, he looks around 175 cm already). Historically he has not been inconsistent. Mozalev is not quite 17 yet, he can still start growing too.