Kenny Loggins Skating Special..... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kenny Loggins Skating Special.....

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
This format is so not for TV IMO, unless of course it was a singer that I really loved then it would be different.... but then I would still be irritated by the way the camera lets you just get into the skating and then it's gone back to the singer, I didn't even bother to watch it.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ladskater said:
I'll take Kenny Loggins over Michael Bolton - anyday! Talk about a horrible and grating voice!!! I well remember Kenny Loggins, shows my age - he was quite big in the 70s. I love "Return to Pooh Corner."

I did not see the Loggins show, but would have probably enjoyed it.

I think you would have enjoyed it, Ladskater. I'll take Kenny Loggins any day over Michael Bolton too (his voice is just too bombastic for me - over-emoting, that is)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Somehow, listening to Kenny Loggins sing "Your Mama Don't Dance" on the show and listening to my CD of him singing it with Jim Messina made me feel very old. He seemed to have slowed it down.

Petlover

On the Ice
I am normally not a fan of Michael Weiss, but he was fantastic in this show! Based on his performances, the professional world would suit him much better than the amateur one does now.

Linny

Final Flight
The skaters like it

Apparently, from what I can glean from the bits and pieces of skater interviews, the skaters like skating to live music. I guess there is an electricity there that isn't discernable to the TV audience. I'm not crazy about the camera switching and it does loose cohesiveness... but I'm trying to put myself in the skates of the skater (in my imagination). If they enjoy this format, and will go the extra mile to put together fresh new programs, well, then I'm going to watch.
Linny

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Kasey said:
Did I blink, or did Nicole Bobek not have a solo number??

Kasey

They "chacked" her. :cry: I'm going to start calling the term "bobeked" since they always seem to cut one of her programs. This year alone she had a number cut from Ice Wars, the Bocelli tribute and this one. I can understand the other broadcasts, but this one surprised me since it was her one and only solo. :mad: I was really looking forward to this one too since the reviews I read said she was very entertaining to "Alive and Kicking".

However I hate to say it because this special had a lot of my favorite skaters (Nicole, Brian B., Alexei to name three), but this was the weakest of all the Disson specials in my opinion. Half the songs didn't really lend themselves to skating. And of course, the endless shots of Kenny in the orange shirt were infuriating! I love pro shows, but this one was a bit on the boring side for me. :frown2:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Mathman, that was another torture. :rofl:
Well, I have never liked Michael Bolton at all. But, I was really surprised when he sang Nessum Dorma (or whatever it's called). If he can sing like that why is he wasting his time squeaking like chalk on a blackboard. :p I have never understood why people like singers that don't have a nice clear voice. I do like Garfunkel though. Sorry if my opinions differ from others but it is my opinion.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only time I liked a singer on a skating show was Josh Groban. I would rather look at Josh than the skaters. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Jhar55

Medalist
I don't like the singing and skating either, it take air time from the skating. But right now this is all the networks willing to give and not much we can do about it.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
GrGranny.............I agree. I was floored when Michael Bolton sang opera.....he was really good..............42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I liked Bolton's Dock of the Bay . It was said at the time it was released that his was Otis Redding's widow's favorite cover of the song.

BridgetJ

Rinkside
I am seriously considering never watching this sort of show ever again! My blood pressure simply can no longer handle the frustration of the camera constantly switching to the boring live singer! I do not particularly care for Kenny Loggins voice or his look (bad hair, clothes, & posture) and was absolutely sick of having to look at him when there was skating out on the ice! I practically broke down in tears during Brian's last skate... he was in the middle of doing these incredibly fast and powerful cross-overs in this enormous circle, filling up to the whole ice, right at the crescendo of him going into a magnificent spread eagle, BLAP! there's ol' Kenny again, just standing there strumming a guitar! One of the world's greatest skaters out on the ice and I have to look at Kenny Loggins 🇳🇴 Brian was *really* into that performance and feeling it too. I've never been so annoyed over one of these shows. Other than that (and Steven and Alexei), I really found the entire show insufferably boring. The band sounded really quiet, like the arena needed to turn up the bass or something. The songs were boring and often un-skateable, such as the first number from Caryn.

I liked the costumes however, esp. the jeans on the guys, the t-shirts were such pretty colors too.

There are some singers NBC has chosen that I do like (Hayley Westenra and Michael Bolton for example) but even then, I'd rather see the skaters.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
GrGranny.............I agree. I was floored when Michael Bolton sang opera.....he was really good..............42

That's the only type of singing I can tolerate from Michael Bolton. Obviously he is a trained singer who tries to sing the wrong type of music in order to increase his record sales. It's the same thing with Celine Dion - her voice is classically trained, but she insists on belting songs out Mariah Carrey style - ruins her voice. I've heard Michael Bolton sing opera a couple of times. Kurt skated to his rendition of Nessum Dorma. Not exactly, Pavoratti, but it was better than his pop stuff. Strange phenomenon, eh? (My Canadianism shows here). :)