Footwork 'Greats' | Golden Skate

Footwork 'Greats'

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I just realised that the main focus on one foot skating in steps in a programme makes us miss a lot nowadays. The two greatest artists in footwork in my view were the great Kurt Browning and the wonderful Alexei Yagudin. Did they just stick to one foot skating? Definitely not. But they were both quite able to draw in an audience on their step sequences alone.

Look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2vUZCW6hHA (especially at the end of the programme, although it's fun to watch even before that)

I know, it's a professional skating programme, but still. I suspect even Javier (a great artist himself) would find this eye dropping. And it is. I know, there's no quads in this programme but that footwork....I keep returning to it.

So, I thought it might be nice to have a kind of chat about footwork on the ice. Does any of you miss this kind of thing currently? Isn't it a shame it won't be rewarded nowadays although it's hellishly difficult and wonderfully spectacular? Any other examples of course are very, very welcome (and, yes, I've got quite a few from Kurt on DVD so I don't have to look them up).

Looking forward to seeing them! One foot, two foot or in-between.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've from day one mentioned how much I miss this type of skating and focus on the "important" skills.

Scott Hamilton had fab footwork, Paul Wylie, Robin Cousins, and more recently Jeremy Abbott.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
I just realised that the main focus on one foot skating in steps in a programme makes us miss a lot nowadays. The two greatest artists in footwork in my view were the great Kurt Browning and the wonderful Alexei Yagudin. Did they just stick to one foot skating? Definitely not. But they were both quite able to draw in an audience on their step sequences alone.

Look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2vUZCW6hHA (especially at the end of the programme, although it's fun to watch even before that)

I know, it's a professional skating programme, but still. I suspect even Javier (a great artist himself) would find this eye dropping. And it is. I know, there's no quads in this programme but that footwork....I keep returning to it.

So, I thought it might be nice to have a kind of chat about footwork on the ice. Does any of you miss this kind of thing currently? Isn't it a shame it won't be rewarded nowadays although it's hellishly difficult and wonderfully spectacular? Any other examples of course are very, very welcome (and, yes, I've got quite a few from Kurt on DVD so I don't have to look them up).

Looking forward to seeing them! One foot, two foot or in-between.

I didn't know that program, and yes love it. I miss the Kurt/ Scott/ Yagudin kind of footwork so much

Claudalie

Rinkside
Browning and Yagudin were so good at footwork. It was such a pleasure to watch them. I particularly remember Yags' Winter, Gladiator and Race footwork and still get goosebumps re-watching those programs.

Triple loop

Rinkside
I agree with the wonderful step sequences executed by the brilliant Mao Asada. I love her deep edges, soft knees, quick turns and expressiveness to the music. I miss her skating so much.