Is 15 too late to start figure skating? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is 15 too late to start figure skating?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hesitate to jump in, because I am not a skater and I never will be a skater, but I really don't understand the "just follow your dream and maybe you'll skate in the Olympics some day" thoughts.

I recently read this quote from Megan Rapinoe, US women's soccer star, Oly gold medalist, World medalist:

"I have so many parents asking 'what can I do to get my kid on the national team'. And this sounds so mean, but I'm like 'Your kid is 14 and clearly not going to play on the national team. Not ever. There are 25 women, out of jillions of girls, on the national team. It's not like you failed if you didn't make it.' "

https://twitter.com/SI_ChrisBallard/status/1133771784757567488

I will let the skaters tell me, but I can't help but think this post has general applicability to all sports.

And the OP sounds like she has a good outlook.:agree:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I hesitate to jump in, because I am not a skater and I never will be a skater, but I really don't understand the "just follow your dream and maybe you'll skate in the Olympics some day" thoughts.

I recently read this quote from Megan Rapinoe, US women's soccer star, Oly gold medalist, World medalist:

"I have so many parents asking 'what can I do to get my kid on the national team'. And this sounds so mean, but I'm like 'Your kid is 14 and clearly not going to play on the national team. Not ever. There are 25 women, out of jillions of girls, on the national team. It's not like you failed if you didn't make it.' "

https://twitter.com/SI_ChrisBallard/status/1133771784757567488

I will let the skaters tell me, but I can't help but think this post has general applicability to all sports.

And the OP sounds like she has a good outlook.:agree:

It is. And does.

As I've stated in many other threads on this Lutz Corner forum. It takes many years starting at toddler to preschool age to even think about maybe one day having a chance at the Olympics, that has to be teamed with incredible potential and hard work, many sacrifices and the list goes on. (and even then many do not make it to the Olympics, only a small percentage of skaters do).

As it applies to OP here, I stated earlier in the thread that they had a great outlook and to go as far as they can, because it seems they already know the Olympics are not an option.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's a very different sport, but a relative of mine took up fencing at an age where she went directly from Novice to Veteran :laugh: and yes, she has picked up a pretty, shiny handful of medals at regional, even state, level along the way. And is thrilled with them (as is the whole clan for her) because they are more than she (a realist, rare in our family) expected.

If your dream - your sky - is local/regional, maybe state success (whatever that means in US skating), if you have the money and drive, and if you are pretty sure you'll enjoy it along the way even if the sky stays just out of reach... go for it. Why not? I think the saying "follow your heart.... but take your brain with you" is a wise one.

Vicki7

On the Ice
It's not too late. Skating is what you want it to be: recreational, competitve, just for fitness.

Yes there will be limits due to starting later, but to give an example, I have a friend who started last year at 13, who's now beginning doubles. I will add he was previously involved with gymnastics though.

I myself am 29, visually impaired and compete within Inclusive Skating events - I have several championship medals from the last 2 years.

Start the journey, enjoy the process and see where it leads :)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
It is good exercise and will keep you fit and being fit helps in all other forms of health. You should do what you want to do. Life is short and we never know what the future might hold. Live the moment, seize the day and remember to dance like no one is watching.

I think dreamingangel knows that she will not become an Olympic level competitor but is looking to see how far she can go. My answer is, with hard work, determination and some natural talent I can see you achieving some reasonable goals.

I wish you the best of luck. I know this is trite but there really is a lot of truth in the whole "it's the journey not the destination" thing.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
It's not too late. Skating is what you want it to be: recreational, competitve, just for fitness.

Yes there will be limits due to starting later, but to give an example, I have a friend who started last year at 13, who's now beginning doubles. I will add he was previously involved with gymnastics though.

I myself am 29, visually impaired and compete within Inclusive Skating events - I have several championship medals from the last 2 years.

Start the journey, enjoy the process and see where it leads :)

Wow. This is a very inspirational story Vicki. I hope skating continues to bring you joy.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You won’t make it to Olympics, however don’t rule out nationals. If you are extremely talented and work harder than everybody else, you could eventually make it to Europeans or 4CC’s, however you’d still be at the bottom. Alternatively you could try the adult category when older and after experience. Maybe ice dance is easier (don’t hate on me) to catch up with, due to the fact that with a lot of hard work if you have great musicality you could maybe make it. Also pairs as you will not require quads or triple axel, and to make it to worlds you just need a few triples. I’d stick to doing it recreationally, however if you want to go competitive you won’t make it to the top, however with a lot of work you could make it to internationals, and eventually become a good coach. Have fun!

Ice Dance is not easier. Ice dance is complicated and has it's own set of challenges. Starting from scratch with ice dance at 15 is not going to get OP to Nationals/Olympics/4ccs or Euros.

I hate when Ice Dance is disrespected, and for the record I competed in both dance and singles to a very high level.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You won’t make it to Olympics, however don’t rule out nationals. If you are extremely talented and work harder than everybody else, you could eventually make it to Europeans or 4CC’s, however you’d still be at the bottom. Alternatively you could try the adult category when older and after experience. Maybe ice dance is easier (don’t hate on me) to catch up with, due to the fact that with a lot of hard work if you have great musicality you could maybe make it. Also pairs as you will not require quads or triple axel, and to make it to worlds you just need a few triples. I’d stick to doing it recreationally, however if you want to go competitive you won’t make it to the top, however with a lot of work you could make it to internationals, and eventually become a good coach. Have fun!

The OP talked about training in Florida, so I am going to assume she’s American.

Just looking as an outsider and as a fan, there is no way that anyone starting skating at 15 will make Nats in the US. Not in any discipline. Everyone talks about Johnny Weir, but even he was 12, and that’s the latest age I’ve heard. And to be one of the top six skaters in the US, which is pretty much who represents the US at 4CC, nope, not happening.

And to echo @IceRabbit, dance is not “easier”, it requires a different set of skills.

That said, someone who wants to learn to skate and wants to see how far they can go should be encouraged and applauded. There is an entire system of “adult” comps in the US of people with amazing skills who love to skate. I understand from participants it is fun and rewarding.

So, OP, go for it:clap:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn’t think it was easier I just didn’t know if it was or not. And yes, as an American 4cc’s Is insanely difficult to reach. In a European country it could be done :)

Yes, I understand you were coming from a different perspective, and frankly, I know nothing about European comps so I can’t say;) And since by the date you just joined, welcome to Goldenskate!