Shoma Uno to change coaches | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno to change coaches

moriel

Record Breaker
I mean, I won't be the first to note that the incredible success she has with Ladies is yet to translate to Men. She has had a number of upcoming talents among Junior Men in the past years and does so now, but none has made it to seniors as of yet. She has coached Voronov for a time, but that was a few seasons ago and the success, while there was some, wasn't what Shoma would aspire to. And there's Moris, who's not showing much of impressive results. Then there's the fact that her coaching style is well-known to rely mainly on an extreme amount of repitions, working great for young healthy bodies but posing problems for a bit older athletes with recurring injuries. Which to me makes her an unlikely choice for a senior athlete in Men's divison who has spent most of the last season skating injured.

I don't think it's completely out of the question, of course, just very surprising.

I would say that she just had no time to get any success in men (specially considering the average russian men). Considering their own level, Voronov and Morisi showed quite an improvement, for example.
As for her coaching style, your description is mostly based on rumours.

Nilf

Rinkside
NO Eteri, please! Shoma already has some kind of injuries this season. He needs training more effectively, instead of more training. 21 years old is not that young in figure skating world. A coach with experiences dealing with grown skaters is much more better.

Yes, Eteri, please! Just imagine how Shoma will be storming to #1 Japanese under Eteri. Shoma definitely not gonna play safe, he is making bold moves. Uno's settling in Khrustanlny will be a strong story to entertain fans, good for him, good for the sport, good for everyone.

Shoma is a top notch already, he just needs to adjust jumps a little, ditch empty programs and gain some consistency. Dudakov is a strong technical coach, Gleikhengaus will choreograph great warhorse programs and Tutberidze will wake him up. Coaches will work their tails off due to Beijing.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Does Mishin speak English, or how did he speak with Caro Costner? Honestly I don't see Shoma with Eteri. I aways liked his coach at least in the Kiss'n Cry area. She was never mad, and she always had a sweet smile. But I have no idea of the coaching style. are men more difficult to train? Both Russia and Japan have many good ladies but just not the same goes for men, though Japan has both Yuzuru and Shoma, but Yuzuru is more the result of Orser than Japan. I guess part of the difference if not all is about the difference between men and and women and their love for figure skating. The difference is HUGE.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
Wherever he goes, is it possible to have an interpreter for training? I understand that he doesn't speak neither Russian nor English, so the stress of moving abroad (U.S, Canada, Russia, wherever) without knowing the language will be huge. Maybe the Japanese federation could pay for an interpreter to alleviate the transition in the first year?

Do you know of anyone who uses translator during trainings? For example, how did Rafi and Eun Soo communicate in the beginning? Or other Japanese skaters when they go to Colorado or overseas camps?

Nilf

Rinkside
Does Mishin speak English, or how did he speak with Caro Costner? Honestly I don't see Shoma with Eteri. I aways liked his coach at least in the Kiss'n Cry area. She was never mad, and she always had a sweet smile. But I have no idea of the coaching style. are men more difficult to train? Both Russia and Japan have many good ladies but just not the same goes for men, though Japan has both Yuzuru and Shoma, but Yuzuru is more the result of Orser than Japan. I guess part of the difference if not all is about the difference between men and and women and their love for figure skating. The difference is HUGE.

Mishin worked with a lot of foreigners. But he is not an option for Shoma. Mishin said that he knows nothing about Uno transfer.

https://www.sportsdaily.ru/articles...nirovatsya-chempionka-ssha-2018-bredi-tennell

Watch

Final Flight
I would say that she just had no time to get any success in men (specially considering the average russian men). Considering their own level, Voronov and Morisi showed quite an improvement, for example.
As for her coaching style, your description is mostly based on rumours.

I don't think it's really rumours when it's something that we can both witness with our own eyes at every pre-competition practice session and something every student of hers and she herself says in interviews. I don't doubt that there's more that goes into training with her, but a much higher-than-average amount of jumps per session in her group is certainly factual.

But like I said, if it turns out to be her, I'll be very interested to see where this cooperation goes.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
I’m not the biggest fan of Eteri, but I think it could be a very interesting move for him, mainly in terms of consistency. I’m looking forward to seeing the results if it happens.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I mean, I won't be the first to note that the incredible success she has with Ladies is yet to translate to Men. She has had a number of upcoming talents among Junior Men in the past years and does so now, but none has made it to seniors as of yet. She has coached Voronov for a time, but that was a few seasons ago and the success, while there was some, wasn't what Shoma would aspire to. And there's Moris, who's not showing much of impressive results. Then there's the fact that her coaching style is well-known to rely mainly on an extreme amount of repitions, working great for young healthy bodies but posing problems for a bit older athletes with recurring injuries. Which to me makes her an unlikely choice for a senior athlete in Men's divison who has spent most of the last season skating injured.

I don't think it's completely out of the question, of course, just very surprising.

Don't forget Adian Pitkeev, a former Tutberidze student. He won 2nd place at Rostelecom Cup after Fernandez in 2015 and people thought he would be the new sensation and then he disappeared and retired from single's skating due to back injury. As you said with Shoma already having experienced some injuries idk if it is the ideal place for him.

Ykai

On the Ice
I don't think it's really rumours when it's something that we can both witness with our own eyes at every pre-competition practice session and something every student of hers and she herself says in interviews. I don't doubt that there's more that goes into training with her, but a much higher-than-average amount of jumps per session in her group is certainly factual.

But like I said, if it turns out to be her, I'll be very interested to see where this cooperation goes.

With his current injuries, I don't think it would be beneficial for Shoma to train an excessive amount jumps per session. Among the top men skaters, he is the one who needs a good break most (in my opinion) so that he could heal his injuries and then re-focus on what he needs to improve. He always looks so determined and so hard working to me. I don't think he needs a coach to push him to work harder, but an experienced jump technician who has worked with top male skaters would be a good fit.

LynsJ

On the Ice
Wow can’t wait to see how this plays out. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if he went to eteri (although it’s probably unlikely). I think for eteri to start making her mark with men she needs an already established skater at that level.

lady_bee

Medalist
Talking about the language problem, I always find that English, spoken by non native speaker, is easier to understand than the one spoken by natives. For example, when I was traveling in Greece, I could communicate with locals in English, but my Canadian friend didn't recognize we were speaking in English:laugh2:
So, I think it may not really matter whether his new coach is American/Canadian or Russian unless the person is a Japanese speaker.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The last thing that I see Shoma needing is a stern taskmaster who makes him work:laugh: I do not know him as well as his devoted fans, but he seems driven and dedicated and his issues, whatever they are, are not from failure to practice enough.

I do not know how Yuzu feels about training with Shoma and vice versa, otherwise I remain in my opinion that TCC would be perfect. (And a Rohene short.:hap10: A Rohene program for you, and a Rohene program for you :biggrin:

But that’s my personal preference. The important thing is that Shoma take his time and do what’s best for him.:)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Is Yuka Sato still coaching? She has experience coaching a top man with Jeremy and there wouldn’t be a language barrier.

Although I used to be a Jeremy Abbott fan I would not call him a top man (no Worlds medal)...

Maybe Raf could be a good choice as Shoma apparently wishes to train with other top men? Eteri has no top men, has she?

Anyway, the coaching change was a really big surprise, but some of his jumps need to be corrected.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
That's probably the most intriguing coaching change, because all options are open and we an guess and argue :)
But Mishin is out of the equation, he said so himself.
It won't be a Japanese coach either, because in Shoma's statement he talks about going camps oversees to decide.

That still leaves plenty of options and room for speculation!