Favorite Warhorses | Golden Skate

Favorite Warhorses

Wombat1800

On the Ice
As skating fans we constantly complain about overused pieces of music, but what are some of the warhorses that you don't mind skaters skating to? For me I still enjoy Les Mis, MR, and Tosca, and if Exogenesis and Experience become warhorses (which they are starting to) I will be fine with that. This may seem like a weird thread, but I'm curious to hear what people say as almost all we ever do as fans when someone picks a warhorse is complain.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Swan Lake. I have a high patience threshold for listening to that 37,084 times during a single competition.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Danse Macabre, Nutcracker Pas de Deux, Ave Maria , and Bacchanale (Samson and Dalila), Rachmoninov #2!!!! And also Masquerade Waltz, The Bells of Moscow, and Bolero. And if Schindler's List is considered a warhorse then that too.

And honestly, there's a reason warhorses are warhorses - because they're good songs.

lady_bee

Medalist
Carmen, not only as a figure skating program but also as a ballet and an opera.
I wouldn't get bored if there were "only Carmen" competition:laugh:

monochrom3

On the Ice
Mine are:
- Rachmaninov Concerto II
- Samson and Delilah
- Swan Lake
- R&J
- Chopin Ballade I

I would have added Carmen too but last season was basically Carmen season so I think I'll need awhile to start liking it again

ruga

Final Flight
Korzeniowski's R&J
Clair de Lune
Samson and Delilah (especially Bacchanale)
Bolero
Einaudi's Experience
Tosca

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carmina Burana (and not just the "O, Fortuna" part)
The Planets (esp. "Jupiter" - instrumentally & vocally - "I Vow to Thee, My Country")
The Bacchanale (Samson & Delilah)

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
I think warhorses have become warhorses for a reason. Especially Rach 2 and Firebird I don't think I'll ever weary of. But Carmen...

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
East of Eden, Samson & Delilah, Leyenda, Aranjuez,

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Tosca, To build a home, Carmen, Roxanne, Experience,R & J (Korzeniowski version, kissing you), W.E, Piazzolla, Clair de lune, Bells of Moscow, Exogenisis 3, Moonlight Sonata, Ballade No.1 (I guess I like a lot of warhorses)

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
anything rachmaninov, the firebird, sheherazade, samson and delilah, bolero, danse macabre

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
It highly depends on the quality of the program/performance. IMO the problem is that there are too many meh programs without any personality, charisma or innovation to a tune we have already heard ad nauseum. I don't mind at all if they create an inspiring program and perform it to a perfection with a flare of their own even if the music had been used by gazillions of other skaters.

Having said that, I have a high tolerance for pure classical warhorses, such as Moonlight sonata, Nutcracker, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Meditation, Turandot, Rigoletto, Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 2, Tosca etc.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: if I ever say I'm tired of Romeo and Juliet, send the authorities, as I've surely been replaced by an alien clone. :laugh:

I'm rather fond of Never Enough as well.

Honestly, the only time that warhorses might bother me is if there are multiples of the same one in a single part of a competition, e.g. two ladies FS or two pairs SP, but not one ladies FS and one pairs SP.

That being said, there's a certain one that I heard waaaaay too much of last season and usually have to mute. A few of you might remember which. :laugh: But that's the only one.

energywithin22

Rinkside
As someone already said - Carmen :) I especially enjoy the ballet version. Apart from that probably POTO? I hate, hate, hate Moonlight Sonata in general. I only liked a rock-ish version one of the girls (does anyone remember who?) skated to this season :)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
As someone already said - Carmen :) I especially enjoy the ballet version. Apart from that probably POTO? I hate, hate, hate Moonlight Sonata in general. I only liked a rock-ish version one of the girls (does anyone remember who?) skated to this season :)

Anastasia Tarakanova.

(I like Moonlight Sonata BTW.)