2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating

skatenewbie

Medalist
She hasn't said anything yet, but I'm leaning towards half-and-half for my guesses. Fourth at Nats and sixth at JW is honestly senior-worthy, but since her shots at a GP spot are very slim I suspect she'll take after Yelim. It would be my ideal choice for her, I want her to go to JGPF
Yeah its better to focus on junior and maybe do CS. She won't get senior World spot but she will bet top korean junior if she stay in junior. She might get 3rd spot for 4CC next year though if she keep improving! With Haein moving up korean ladies spots for major comp is really competitive, especially they all have same capability (except Young for having 3A)

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Copied @SnowWhite's comment on Haein's GP spots:

Haein is guaranteed a GP spot by her SB score. And she's very likely to get two. Typically, all the singles skaters in the top 24 SB get two spots, except the Russians when the spots are maxed. I know Yelim only got one last year, but Haein is much higher up the list (17th currently vs 24th for Yelim), so it's pretty likely imo that she does.

But one spot for sure. Her WS is basically irrelevant. For GP spots it only really matters if you aren't already guaranteed a spot by SB, since being top 24 in both does not guarantee two.

I don't know about the second spot, they tried to skip over Young before she won a freakin' medal at her first GP, but this confirms one invite for our little phoenix at least :)

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
She hasn't said anything yet, but I'm leaning towards half-and-half for my guesses. Fourth at Nats and sixth at JW is honestly senior-worthy, but since her shots at a GP spot are very slim I suspect she'll take after Yelim. It would be my ideal choice for her, I want her to go to JGPF

I think staying junior would be the smarter choice for sure, she could be the top Korean lady on the JGP next year and the Final would definitely be within reach. She could always do some senior Challengers as well to get more experience.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Copy&pasting from the JW thread:

Officially it's 'Seoyeong' because her passport writes it like that, but since 'Seoyoung' tend to get the better pronunciation I use that one. Like, y'know how the GPF gold medalist angel gets her name spelled in three ways? Kinda like that.

Haein will honestly be lucky to have a GP spot, all the trio have two tickets (as deserved), and our ladies are prone to being skipped over (yes I'm STILL not over Yelim being skipped *three* times) and since she didn't get a medal her WS won't be high enough to get her high enough on the list. And as Yelim's case demonstrated, if you're going to be skipped over you're going to be skipped over. Her records make her a threat so I expect a lot of politicking over her, I'm trying to not hope too much over a spot (deep sigh)

Our ladies' pool has grown, we so need three spots for both juniors and seniors and it's still not enough. Nats is a bloodbath already.

I hope the Korean fed is fighting for a GP event in the future (especially with all of the issues in France) because otherwise I don't think this will get better.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Yeah its better to focus on junior and maybe do CS. She won't get senior World spot but she will bet top korean junior if she stay in junior. She might get 3rd spot for 4CC next year though if she keep improving! With Haein moving up korean ladies spots for major comp is really competitive, especially they all have same capability (except Young for having 3A)

Rankings and Nats are bloodbaths already but the intensity is going to go up the roof. As I have said, all the original trio deserve to get spots, and then Haein also deserves her spots, and my beloved is also very deserving, and also when Jihun delivers it's magnificent, and Haneul is not to be underestimated :drama:

skatenewbie

Medalist
Wait, Haein is in the top 24 SB??

Copied @SnowWhite's comment on Haein's GP spots:

I don't know about the second spot, they tried to skip over Young before she won a freakin' medal at her first GP, but this confirms one invite for our little phoenix at least :)
Yeah technically they only guaranteed 1 by ISU rules. I think last season was the first time in a long time that skater in top24 SB didn't get 2 spot which is the case for Young and Yelim, also Gubanova from Russia didn't get her guaranteed spot because Russia filled all 18 spot (which imo should not be allowed since she is guaranteed, she earned it)

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I hope the Korean fed is fighting for a GP event in the future (especially with all of the issues in France) because otherwise I don't think this will get better.

Never underestimate KSU's incompetence (tremendous sigh) but Korean fans (including myself) are demanding a Kim Yuna Cup instead of IdF. We have wonderful ladies, we definitely could use a host spot plus not being the ones being politicked against :noshake:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Sorry for flooding the thread, but to wrap things up for my sake, the ladies going up/being able to go up will likely do this:

Haein: One GP guaranteed, will probably do CS events to get her chances up for a second GP a la Young
Seoyoung: CS events plus JGP (and please JGPF) a la Yelim
Jihun: CS events for her WS points a la Haneul

And so, assuming that all three junior Nats medalists get their 7th level and appear on JGP qualifiers - Seoyoung (my beloved), Seoyeon, Yeonjeong, Ahsun, and Jiwon will probably comfortably get their tickets, Heewon, Siwoo, Jooha (junior Nats medalists) plus Minchae and Chaeeun will be in the fight for the remaining three places (KSU does not like difficult math, it's going to be 2 tickets each for seven skaters). I'd love to see Siwon get a JGP for once but she's always a cactus so I don't have high hopes... (sigh)

randomfan

Record Breaker
Yeah technically they only guaranteed 1 by ISU rules. I think last season was the first time in a long time that skater in top24 SB didn't get 2 spot which is the case for Young and Yelim, also Gubanova from Russia didn't get her guaranteed spot because Russia filled all 18 spot (which imo should not be allowed since she is guaranteed, she earned it)

Young wasnā€™t in the top 24 last season.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I really thought Haein would be on the podium after the sp, but she had an unfortunate fall on an important element. It is a shame because she has been so consistent this entire season.
It would be a big mistake to keep her in junior. She has a mature appearance at the age of 14, and seems to have a better competitive nerve than Eunsoo, who has also been struggling technically. Yelim has not been getting enough pcs in her international competitions and appears to be more "generic".

Briananing

On the Ice
Haein seemed so nervous today, just like GPF when she was nervous during her SP, while today was during her FP. Whatever they do to Young nerve, they need to do it to both haein and eunsoo. Bcs haein nerve seems fine when the stake isnt that big hence her consistency reputation but on big stages, she never show up to this day, which could be a problem in the long run. I mean i dont want another Mao case. On that regards, she needs a 3A and quads to be competitive for olympic season though but reading her interview, i dont think she would move to foreign coaches ??

On seoyeong, i really hate that blowing kiss movement and dont get why nobody ever told her coaches that it was cheesy and she made it worse by having no expression while doing it, her performance would be so much better by not having it. I think whoever coached those kpop stars about facial expression and gestures need to coach her and yelim as well.

On a side note, i really like both of these girls stsq, i mean they actually deserve their level 4 unlike some top junior/senior skaters and long stsq is always a pleasure to watch.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
:hap10: Three spots for Junior Worlds! Way to go Seoyeong & Haein! And maxing out JGP spots as well! Official "powerhouse" status in the junior ladies field, IMO. Kudos to all the ladies, like Dabin, Eunsoo, Yelim, and Young, who helped break the ground to make this happen. And to the young ladies who got the job done in the here and now. Also to the coaches who have played such a big role in developing this program.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
What has Yelim done to deserve this, her first WC ever, junior or senior, and it gets cancelled because of a freakin' pandemic... :cry: Anyway, from twitter https://twitter.com/RizezeLeaf/status/1237915216777601027 SB lists for our ladies:

7th You Young 223.23
17th Lee Haein 203.40
19th Kim Yelim 202.76
22nd Lim Eunsoo 200.59
26th Wi Seoyoung 193.30
36th Park Yeonjeong 186.58
40th Kim Haneul 182.50
48th Ji Seoyeon 179.23
67th To Jihun 167.66
85th Choi Dabin 157.18
123rd Lee Siwon 142.73
153rd Choi Yujin 131.48

I have literally no idea how GP spots will work out (or anything for that matter...), but my beloved technically could have a shot at a GP spot. But then, our ladies are notoriously skipped over :rolleye: so maybe not

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power šŸ»
Record Breaker
What has Yelim done to deserve this, her first WC ever, junior or senior, and it gets cancelled because of a freakin' pandemic... :cry: Anyway, from twitter https://twitter.com/RizezeLeaf/status/1237915216777601027 SB lists for our ladies:

7th You Young 223.23
17th Lee Haein 203.40
19th Kim Yelim 202.76
22nd Lim Eunsoo 200.59
26th Wi Seoyoung 193.30
36th Park Yeonjeong 186.58
40th Kim Haneul 182.50
48th Ji Seoyeon 179.23
67th To Jihun 167.66
85th Choi Dabin 157.18
123rd Lee Siwon 142.73
153rd Choi Yujin 131.48

I have literally no idea how GP spots will work out (or anything for that matter...), but my beloved technically could have a shot at a GP spot. But then, our ladies are notoriously skipped over :rolleye: so maybe not

If they are in the SB list they are guaranteed at least one spot :) and usually skaters who are in the Top 24 also get a second spot

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I am really sad for Yelim also. It seems so unfair! I hope she returns next season looking amazing.