2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

DenissVFan

Medalist
Satoko has adressed in a new interview that there is nothing strange going on. She is still with Hamada, they just have agreed at the beginning of the season that Lee will go to all of her international competitions with her.

OK, I was just wondering since Hamada was at the same competition anyway.

silveruskate

On the Ice
In my view that is a little strange in itself when Hamada is present at the competition. To me it signals that Satoko may want to go elsewhere.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I've watched satton's free skate twice or 10 times now :laugh:
SO SO BEAUTIFUL!
Beautiful, seamless skating partnered with great interpretation.
Idk why she gets low GOE for her step sequences that are so effortless and complex
And also her ambidextrous spin gets low GOE? Isn't that suppose to be hard and should be rewarded more?

So happy she gets high PCS now but it's still lower compared to what she should get especially in the free.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I've watched satton's free skate twice or 10 times now [emoji23]
SO SO BEAUTIFUL!
Beautiful, seamless skating partnered with great interpretation.
Idk why she gets low GOE for her step sequences that are so effortless and complex
And also her ambidextrous spin gets low GOE? Isn't that suppose to be hard and should be rewarded more?

So happy she gets high PCS now but it's still lower compared to what she should get especially in the free.
I don't think her PCS is too low. I think many other top skaters get PCS thats too high for various reasons. You clearly like Satoko, as do I, but the fact is she will never get high enough PCS to compensate fully for her jumping. That ended with Kostner. Lol

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I don't think her PCS is too low. I think many other top skaters get PCS thats too high for various reasons. You clearly like Satoko, as do I, but the fact is she will never get high enough PCS to compensate fully for her jumping. That ended with Kostner. Lol

I didn't say her PCS is too low. I said it's still lower than what she should get, maybe 73-74?
I agree that PCS is crazy for many years now. But relative to the field, she wasn't getting enough love in PCS, until CoC.

It's not to compensate for the jumps (which sadly, will not happen anytime soon). It's giving credit where it's due. And tbh, I never understood why Caro got that much PCS (almost perfect score). LOL

sakurano

Final Flight
You are talking as if Sakamoto, Higuchi, even Kihira are paragons of artistry. No they are not. They are powerful and fast skaters but you have to be seriously wumming if you put them on the rank of Asada in terms of interpretation, musicality, elegance, nuance. It seems quite popular here to elevate the Japanese ladies to a pedestal where people attribute qualities which on close perfection really do not exist. Honda and Miyahara have it but there technically poor so in the end it really boils down to not having the full spectrum of skills required of a modern day figure skater. Having exceptional technical skills combined with top notch artistry.

anyway art is unique to everyone you can not judge me because I think that
Satoko, Wakaba and Marin have a musical sensitivity, Rika is also on this
path and yes I admire the Japanese because they have this wow factor but as
I said it is only my opinion we are there to exchange not to say who is
right or wrong. I repeat I have nothing against the Quads on the contrary
it's great where I am against it is that they leave the arthistic aspect and
that they have so many injuries.

This was my last comment on this site it's a pity that we can not trade
without sending out peaks or believe we know better than anyone, maybe I'm
simplistic but I like skating for it beauty, its difficulty, its art, the
skaters give so much for the sport that it made me want to do them.
To come back to the Japanese ladies
I really like Satoko's SP that really changes it from classic programs, I do
not know if it will correct its urs problems and it's a shame to see that
the PCS does not reflect its talent.

It was also a nice SP for Marin, it is also sad to see it regresed it which
was so promising in 2016 but hey there is an improvement since last year.

Sorry for the long comment but I wanted to say what I thought

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Satoko forget her small jumps is a beautiful lyrical skater. Nice finish, edges and flow. As for pcs I have no idea. I do understand athletic skaters often have great edges too ie Osmond. For some reason I do think Satoko is under appreciated pc wise. But life isn't fair. As wonderful as Nathan Chen is his pcs seem outrageous like higher than Patrick Chan or Javier F on good skates by them. It doesn't make sense. Or more rencetly he beats Jason Brown regularly which i find hard. It is sad thata beautiful skater like SAtoko may never win a world medal with all these big jumps worth so much.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Satoko forget her small jumps is a beautiful lyrical skater. Nice finish, edges and flow. As for pcs I have no idea. I do understand athletic skaters often have great edges too ie Osmond. For some reason I do think Satoko is under appreciated pc wise. But life isn't fair. As wonderful as Nathan Chen is his pcs seem outrageous like higher than Patrick Chan or Javier F on good skates by them. It doesn't make sense. Or more rencetly he beats Jason Brown regularly which i find hard. It is sad thata beautiful skater like SAtoko may never win a world medal with all these big jumps worth so much.

Satoko has already won two Worlds medals (2015 and 2018).

Nathan scoring higher than Jason isn’t a recent thing. I think the last time Jason scored higher than Nathan in a competition was 2015 Nationals.

ssffww

On the Ice
You are talking as if Sakamoto, Higuchi, even Kihira are paragons of artistry. No they are not. They are powerful and fast skaters but you have to be seriously wumming if you put them on the rank of Asada in terms of interpretation, musicality, elegance, nuance. It seems quite popular here to elevate the Japanese ladies to a pedestal where people attribute qualities which on close perfection really do not exist. Honda and Miyahara have it but there technically poor so in the end it really boils down to not having the full spectrum of skills required of a modern day figure skater. Having exceptional technical skills combined with top notch artistry.

Why must every opinion thread on this forum become a chance to bash someone else? Give your five most underrated and let everyone else have theirs. Opinions are just that. Yours are no more valid than anyone else's.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Rika is the paragon of artistry for me. She's got the jumps too. I cannot wait to see her develop as she's going to be the model of tech and artistry.

The only thing that makes me doubtful about her Beijing campaign is that she's going to be older by 2022. Wear and tear on the body and puberty etc so I'm expecting some 15 yr old youngun to get the gold (don't they always?).

Rika however is a very complete skater. If health and puberty are kind to her goodness knows what she'll achieve.

lusterfan

Final Flight
Rika is the paragon of artistry for me. She's got the jumps too. I cannot wait to see her develop as she's going to be the model of tech and artistry.

The only thing that makes me doubtful about her Beijing campaign is that she's going to be older by 2022. Wear and tear on the body and puberty etc so I'm expecting some 15 yr old youngun to get the gold (don't they always?).

Rika however is a very complete skater. If health and puberty are kind to her goodness knows what she'll achieve.

Ugh agreed. Rika blossomed quite early and has to wait for a full quad before Beijing. Japanese ladies tend to have decent longevity though, and Rika has excellent technique so I'm not as worried about her. I'm afraid there most definitely will be young up and comers by 2022 (just look at Russia alone), and an Alina-2018 situation may just happen again. I'll be rooting for her and the other ladies to hang on though!

treeloving

Medalist
Satoko's program this year is poetry on ice, so exquisite. She might be the most artistic person ever step on ice. :love:

10 for choreography and interpretation.

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Mana Kawabe won National Junior (1 1 193.57).
She did almost clean 8 triples Free Skating program (2! on 3Fs, 1 minus GOE).
Tomoe Kawabata won silver (2 2 178.95).
Hanna Yoshida won bronze (10 3 167.86).
Yoshida also landed 3A in Free Skating.

lusterfan

Final Flight

8 clean triples - did she have a 3A in the program??

readernick

Medalist

I could tell by watching her JGP performances that Kawabe was very strong jumper (with great SS and great programs) but the nerves really held her back. I am glad she skated well at home. Hopefully, she will show her strength in the second half of the season internationally.

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Free Skating protocols
Kawabe
3A(1.8) 3Lz+3T 3Lo 2A+3T / 3F!+2T+2T (-0.11) 3S 3F!
Kawabata
3Lz+3T 3Lo 2A+3T< 3F!< / 2A+2T+2Lo 3Lz 3S<
Yoshida
3A(1.12) 3Lz+3T 3S 3Lo / 3F!+2T+2Lo 2A+3T 3Lz!

Kinayu Yokoi finished 11th (15 9 150.73)
3A(-0.32) 3Lz 3Lo 3F! / 3S+1Eu+1S 2A+3T 2A+3T

readernick

Medalist
Free Skating protocols
Kawabe
3A(1.8) 3Lz+3T 3Lo 2A+3T / 3F!+2T+2T (-0.11) 3S 3F!
Kawabata
3Lz+3T 3Lo 2A+3T< 3F!< / 2A+2T+2Lo 3Lz 3S
Yoshida
3A(1.12) 3Lz+3T 3S 3Lo / 3F!+2T+2Lo 2A+3T 3Lz!

Kinayu Yokoi finished 11th (15 9 150.73)
3A(-0.32) 3Lz 3Lo 3F! / 3S+1Eu+1S 2A+3T 2A+3T

Wow! Great Job Kawabe!

Nice to see Kawabata with a clean skate, too! She has so much potential and the judges really like her. She will score high if she can put together two clean skates internationally!

readernick

Medalist
Rika is our last hope

For the GPF? Or in general? 🤣🤣🤣🤣She does seem to be the only non- Russian skater capable of competing for the world podium this year.

I actually think that not making the GPF will be good for Satoko. I selfishly always want to watch her skate at every event, because her skating is so lovely. But, she is in the middle of trying to change her jump technique and she is working with a new coach. She needs time to just work on her jumps before Japanese Nationals. I hope not going to the GPF will give her that opportunity.