2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
So who will be going to JW? I assuming Kawabe will go as the champion? Top 6 competed at senior nats right?

By tradition, yes, Kawabe gets the spot to JWC as the winner. And a second spot will be decided after All Japan National.
Usually the Top 6 will be invited to Nationals. But Momoka Hatasaki placing 4th is at Novice level (NvA Champion 2019). And I don't recall if NvA is allowed to participate in National or not? If not, then the skater at 7th place will get the final spot (which will go to Chinato Uramatsu)

Final results from Jr. ladies:
1 Mana Kawabe 193.57
2 Tomoe Kawabata 178.95
3 Hana Yoshida 167.86
4 Momoka Hatasaki (NvA) 164.95
5 Shiika Yoshioka 163.63
6 Mone Chiba 161.59
7 Chisato Uramatsu 158.28

Sorry about Nana Araki....don't know what happened to her!

skatenewbie

Medalist
By tradition, yes, Kawabe gets the spot to JWC as the winner. And a second spot will be decided after All Japan National.
Usually the Top 6 will be invited to Nationals. But Momoka Hatasaki placing 4th is at Novice level (NvA Champion 2019). And I don't recall if NvA is allowed to participate in National or not? If not, then the skater at 7th place will get the final spot (which will go to Chinato Uramatsu)

1 Mana Kawabe 193.57
2 Tomoe Kawabata 178.95
3 Hana Yoshida 167.86
5 Shiika Yoshioka 163.63
6 Mone Chiba 161.59

Thanks! She placed 16th right? Im kind of shocked since she skate prertty well in her JGP, same as Rino Matsuike who even medalled but skate poorly here....

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Mana Kawabe won National Junior (1 1 193.57).
She did almost clean 8 triples Free Skating program (2! on 3Fs, 1 minus GOE).
Tomoe Kawabata won silver (2 2 178.95).
Hanna Yoshida won bronze (10 3 167.86).
Yoshida also landed 3A in Free Skating.

Happy for Mana!
She really seems to have gained confidence since her JGP events.

I'm sad for Nana, also Moa and Rino who finished 8th and 9th. I wonder if they will get any more assignments in the second half the season.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I think it's confirmed that the following will be invited to All Japan Nationals:

1 Mana Kawabe
2 Tomoe Kawabata
3 Hana Yoshida
4 Shiika Yoshioka
5 Mone Chiba
6 Chisato Uramatsu

(Momoka Hatasaki is still in Novice level so she won't go to National)

Also, Mana Kawabe will represent Japan to skate at Youth Olympics. (Matsuike will be the sub)

1 Mana Kawabe 193.57
2 Tomoe Kawabata 178.95
3 Hana Yoshida 167.86
5 Shiika Yoshioka 163.63
6 Mone Chiba 161.59

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I feel bad for Satoko, she is a beautiful artistic skater.

But... 5 URs in her FS (there were perhaps more uncalled) is just not going to cut it at all.
Even taking the quads and 3As out of the equation, a skater who can barely rotate her triples and doubles is going to struggle no matter how artistic they are.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
So it appears that Mako Yamashita will compete at NHK after all, she feels so much better now and she did many jumps at practice with a clean sp run-tru, I hope she has an amazing comeback after the disastrous skate america, she is one of my favorite skaters and her jumps are just incredible along with her interpretation.
Edit: Interesting to note is according to reports Yuhana Yokoi did many 3A attempts in practice session, urs tho. So she is going for it in future competitions, I don´t think she will going to incorporete that jump in this competition, plus she did a creative 3S-3Lo combination two times cleanly

Rika is looking pretty good with lots of clean 3A and 3A-2T and even one 4S! (close to be ur IMO but still incredible) and she did one 3lz, cleanly, so I have great feeling that this last GP will be great for japanese ladies, I believe in them. :pray:

lusterfan

Final Flight
So it appears that Mako Yamashita will compete at NHK after all, she feels so much better now and she did many jumps at practice with a clean sp run-tru, I hope she has an amazing comeback after the disastrous skate america, she is one of my favorite skaters and her jumps are just incredible along with her interpretation.

I was so excited when she nearly edged out Liza to win Skate Canada last year. I thought she would follow a similar trajectory as Kaori. Both made a decent splash in Juniors and continued to get better with explosive jumps and smooth skating. I hope Mako skates well here and finds herself on the SB list :pray:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Is there a reason why Hana Yoshida wasn’t given a JGP assignment this year? I remember her being Alysa Liu’s biggest competitor from Advance Novice and I see that her result from Jr Nationals was good. Was she injured for a while? I didn’t hear anything about her for the longest time.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Is there a reason why Hana Yoshida wasn’t given a JGP assignment this year? I remember her being Alysa Liu’s biggest competitor from Advance Novice and I see that her result from Jr Nationals was good. Was she injured for a while? I didn’t hear anything about her for the longest time.
Hana was injured for a long time last season

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Edit: Interesting to note is according to reports Yuhana Yokoi did many 3A attempts in practice session, urs tho. So she is going for it in future competitions, I don´t think she will going to incorporete that jump in this competition, plus she did a creative 3S-3Lo combination two times cleanly

Rika is looking pretty good with lots of clean 3A and 3A-2T and even one 4S! (close to be ur IMO but still incredible) and she did one 3lz, cleanly, so I have great feeling that this last GP will be great for japanese ladies, I believe in them. :pray:

relieved to hear Mako is doing better. Hope all her injuries are behind her.
So much respect for Rika for upping her game, she's pushing 3A girls to learn 3A, and they motivate her as well.
The ladies field wouldn't be as much of a bloodbath as it is, if not Rika :devil:
Certainly the GPF is going to VERY interesting.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Hana was injured for a long time last season

It's more apropriate to talk about Rika here, and cause i'm plaining to win Predictions game :biggrin: do you have any information how Rika's 4S and 3Lz are looking right now? I mean, which is the probability to actually perform her planned content at this moment (because of the previous injury and etc) in your (or any other) opinion?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
It's more apropriate to talk about Rika here, and cause i'm plaining to win Predictions game :biggrin: do you have any information how Rika's 4S and 3Lz are looking right now? I mean, which is the probability to actually perform her planned content at NHK (because of the previous injury and etc) in your (or any other) opinion?

Japanese TV showed a clip of one of Rika's 4S during practice today. It looked a little under, but could have been borderline, however, she landed it. She fell on a different attempt. She only jumped one 3Lz today, but according to Japanese fans it looked good. My guess is, if she only jumped one Lutz during the whole practice today, she may not be doing two in her FS?! I am not sure, Rika often changes her jump layout right before the competition, depending on how her practice goes, so it is very hard to predict what she will put out there. It probably depends on the practice session today/tomorrow. However, if she only jumps one Lutz but two Flips in the FS her BV value will only be 0,61 points lower, so not much.

A little bit of math
If she does a 4S, 3A+2T, 3A, 3Lz// 3Lz+3T, 3F+1Eu+3S, 3Lo layout or a 4S, 3A+2T, 3A, 3F// 3Lz+3T, 3F+1Eu+3S, 3Lo layout cleanly her FS score could be around 166.
If her 4S is called underrotated her score could be around 160 with -2GOE on the underrotated 4S. If she underrotates her 4S and falls but everything else is clean as a whistle then her score could be around 157.

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan

Both of Alysa Liu’s competitor in Advance Novice era was on podium at JrNat.
Mana Kawabe won Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy 2017
Hanna Yoshida won Challenge Cup 2018

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I just watched Mana Kawabe's FS at Junior Nationals and am honestly quite surprised, because her jumps don't look like they have a lot of elevation (not as small as Satoko's but they don't look as 'big' compared to say Yuhana or Tomoe Kawabata). Yet she landed a 3A, and fully rotated that plus everything else! By I-Scope the 3A was 45 cm high, so still pretty big even if for some reason I didn't get that impression, but if you look at the next two jumping passes (3Lz-3T and 3Lo) they don't really stand out much.

Just wondering about the implication this has for girls trying quads/3As - maybe sacrificing some height for rotational speed is the key. Although massive height and distance on e.g. a triple lutz is more visually impressive to me than a smaller-amplitude 3A.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I just watched Mana Kawabe's FS at Junior Nationals and am honestly quite surprised, because her jumps don't look like they have a lot of elevation (not as small as Satoko's but they don't look as 'big' compared to say Yuhana or Tomoe Kawabata). Yet she landed a 3A, and fully rotated that plus everything else! By I-Scope the 3A was 45 cm high, so still pretty big even if for some reason I didn't get that impression, but if you look at the next two jumping passes (3Lz-3T and 3Lo) they don't really stand out much.

Just wondering about the implication this has for girls trying quads/3As - maybe sacrificing some height for rotational speed is the key. Although massive height and distance on e.g. a triple lutz is more visually impressive to me than a smaller-amplitude 3A.
That's the current crop of Japanese girl's problem. They have thick powerful thighs and are good jumpers but rotate slowly. They are built for the old school jumping technique.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Japanese ladies were severely underscored at nhk, how Yuhana scored only 62?, yes she had a bad landing on her flip but it was rotated and she did a 3lz-3t in the second half of the program, then Mako with only 65? why her 3lz-3t that is one of the best in decades get too low GOE? it's unbelievable, that skating should scored more than at 2018 skate canada where she got an undeserved wrong edge on her flip, this is ridiculous, the only skater scored almost acurate was Rika but she was also underscored in her 3a, why suddenly she scored only 2.29 of GOE for that jump when she is close to 3.00 points, that triple axel was perfect, and then those corrupt judges don't looked to other skaters mistakes and they got fully credit for those elements and I don't want to tell names because many fanboys will try to kill me, ugh I just lost hope for this sport everytime, anyway good skates for japanese ladies today, they were great no matter what