2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 136 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

gkelly

Record Breaker
The NQS scores are listed in the series standings in EMS on Members Only.

I think a lot of competitions did not post results or detailed scores on their websites this year because they had to submit them to EMS and it would be extra work for the accountants and LOCs to get the data into two different formats to post two different places.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Start orders are up for sectionals. Here is the senior ladies group where Gracie will compete on Friday evening-

https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/27740/CAT009SEG016.html

looks like her main competition will be from Sarah Jung, Emily Zhang, Jill Heiner and Audrey Shin, if i'm remembering past results correctly. i'm sure Gracie and her team know what they are facing here and she can't put out the same skates as regionals if she wants to advance. i think regionals may have been a bit of a wake up call for them. but i hope she will be happy with whatever she does and if things don't work out for nationals, she will come back stronger next season and use it as a motivating factor.

also, Courtney Hicks and Pooja Kalyan will be competing at midwesterns.

I'm curious to see how many of the skaters earning a Nationals qualifying placement at Sectionals also have qualifying score. It seemed like quite a few of the favorites hadn't achieved that yet. Will they have other opportunities to do so after Sectionals?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm curious to see how many of the skaters earning a Nationals qualifying placement at Sectionals also have qualifying score. It seemed like quite a few of the favorites hadn't achieved that yet. Will they have other opportunities to do so after Sectionals?

In practical terms, for skaters who do not yet have the minimum TES for Nats, sectionals are the last opportunity to earn it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes. Skaters must have achieved 75 TES this season if they qualify through Sectionals.

Minimum TES from this season is required of all Senior competitors at Nats -- not only if they qualify through Sectionals.

The only possibility of special treatment re the TES minimum is for those with what I would call "non-international" byes.
For Senior Ladies this year, that group would be the top five from 2019 Nats. And all in that group already have met the TES minimum this season, so they do not need special treatment.

Repeating my earlier post from Nov 4:

Updating my previous reply re the TES minimum for Nats:

Buried within the USFS guidelines for international byes is additional information re the TES minimum for those with non-international byes.
With special approval, there potentially is wiggle room for a skater with a non-international bye:

All senior skaters/team receiving a bye must have achieved the Required Minimum Total Element Score in the current season to compete at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships. Please refer to Rule 2505.

If a skater or team qualifies to compete at the U.S Figure Skating Championships due to placement at the immediately prior U.S. Figure Skating Championships, the most recent World Figure Skating Championships or the most recent Olympic Winter Games, but has not been able to compete to earn a Required Minimum Technical Score in the current season, scores earned at the most recent U.S. Figure Skating Championships in which the skater or team competed may be considered. The skater or team will need to receive approval to use the score from a majority of the Competitions, International and Athletes Advisory Committee chairs.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Polina Edmunds *is* on the official entry list for Pacific Coast Sectionals.

She must have gotten the NQS bye that I previously had discussed.

[ Philadelphia International must have counted as an international bye to sectionals for Akari Nakahara. :)

Brynne McIsaac is competing at the U.S. Pairs final in Texas, and is not using her NQS bye here for Senior Ladies.

Meaning that the NQS byes to Pacific Coast Sectionals would be: Evans, Murdock, Ha, Venetta, Sun, Edmunds. ]

NaVi

Medalist
Who are the top juniors and novices who who skipped regionals? I checked out the regional results and the only one who really stood out was Isabeau Levito.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Polina Edmunds *is* on the official entry list for Pacific Coast Sectionals.

She must have gotten the NQS bye that I previously had discussed.

[ Philadelphia International must have counted as an international bye to sectionals for Akari Nakahara. :)

Brynne McIsaac is competing at the U.S. Pairs final in Texas, and is not using her NQS bye here for Senior Ladies.

Meaning that the NQS byes to Pacific Coast Sectionals would be: Evans, Murdock, Ha, Venetta, Sun, Edmunds. ]

So happy Polina's back.

concorde

Medalist
Who are the top juniors and novices who who skipped regionals? I checked out the regional results and the only one who really stood out was Isabeau Levito.
There is really no easy way to figure this out.

The NQS ranks all skaters by level Nationwide, not by Region. Who gets byes is not straightforward as just looking at the top 6 per Region.

Some skaters signed up for two levels and earned byes for both levels (Isabeau Levito did this). Some signed up for 2 levels and got the bye only for the higher level (Haley Scott). Others signed up for both levels and only got the bye for the lower level (Clara Kim).

Some with a NQS bye still chose to skate at Regionals. There their results varied - one withdrew after the short; one finished 2nd in the Region: one finished 10th in the Reguon.Those are just the ones I followed so I am sure there are more examples.

A very recent Skating magazine, USFS listed the top 10 NQS finishers by level Nationwide. Even that will not you "a list" since 18 skaters per level get byes and some will be listed in two different levels.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

- An easier part of a complete answer to your question is that juniors with an international assignment (not required to be a schedule conflict with sectionals) were entitled to international byes to junior competition at sectionals.
In this group, I believe the following juniors (in no particular order) used their international byes to sectionals: Calista Choi, Isabelle Inthisone, Jessica Lin, Lindsay Thorngren, Kate Wang.

- But exhaustive checking and cross-checking regarding those entitled to NQS byes to sectionals (six per level per section x 3 sections) for junior and novice would be labor-intensive, as concorde indicated.

macy

Record Breaker
- An easier part of a complete answer to your question is that juniors with an international assignment (not required to be a schedule conflict with sectionals) were entitled to international byes to junior competition at sectionals.
In this group, I believe the following juniors (in no particular order) used their international byes to sectionals: Calista Choi, Isabelle Inthisone, Jessica Lin, Lindsay Thorngren, Kate Wang.

- But exhaustive checking and cross-checking regarding NQS byes to sectionals (six per level per section x 3 sections) for junior and novice would be labor-intensive, as concorde indicated.

thank you for all this info. do you have any idea if a lot of the ladies competing at sectionals haven't reached the TES minimum yet? i just wonder if there will be cases where one or two skaters who place in the top four won't advance because of that, or if there aren't many skaters with that issue.

concorde

Medalist
thank you for all this info. do you have any idea if a lot of the ladies competing at sectionals haven't reached the TES minimum yet? i just wonder if there will be cases where one or two skaters who place in the top four won't advance because of that, or if there aren't many skaters with that issue.
Minimums only apply to Seniors.

I think we should see the final placements before we worry who did not reach the minimums.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

First, a little caveat: Even after the top four senior placements per section are known, I think it might not be immediately obvious (before confirmation from USFS) whether certain skaters have achieved the TES minimum -- because it is fine to meet the requirement with total TES from an NQS competition, but TES scores from NQS comps often were not published online.
Meaning that it would be theoretically possible for a skater to already have met the TES minimum under the radar at an NQS comp, even though she did not reach it at regionals or sectionals.

FWIW (worth very little :hopelessness:): Sectionals are an opportunity to earn the TES minimum, of course ... but from my highly-uninformed eyeballing of the Senior Ladies fields for the Pacific Coast and Midwestern sections, I do not feel sure whether either one has four skaters in the entire field who already have met the TES minimum?? For the entire Eastern field, I would hazard a guess that at least four already have met the TES minimum, but not many more than four? But again, it is very possible that TES scores at sectionals would take care of the minimum for someone in the top four. :popcorn:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Is Mariah currently in Russia? I've seen some practice videos but, she's not in them. Is she there?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Mariah currently in Russia? I've seen some practice videos but, she's not in them. Is she there?

Yes, there are photos of Mariah at practice, in fact one taken by Goldenskate and in the Goldenskate Twitter feed. (I am on my iPad and do not copy well on this device;) )