2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 83 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

natsulian

Final Flight
Ting Cui and Amber Glenn both executed clean Shorts today.

2. Amber Glenn, 66.09 - 3F+3T, 2A, and 3Lo (Jumps were crisp, rotated, powerful, and Step Sequence was powerful)
3. Ting Cui, 63.10 - 2A, 3Lz, and 3F+2T (Jumps were so beautiful and well done with a light yet silent powerfulness to her skating)

Ting landed one of the most beautiful 3Lz+3T during the warm-up, but her 3Lz was a bit shaky so she decided to not add the 3T in the actual program. Ting was simply ethereal and not only did she grow, her jumps have gotten more powerful and her mindset has become stronger. Amber once again skated a clean Short with powerful and controlled jumps, but her real test of fate will be the Free tomorrow. Best of luck to both ladies during the Free.

Shani

On the Ice
The potential future world champion always has negative comments so nothing to worry about. She is on the way. Enjoy the skate. I love that she doesn't expect the win and is trying to get her elements competitive before her long term goals. Her long term is second National title and World team maybe not JGP titles.

readernick

Medalist
Ting is a lovely skater. I do think she needs to work on her knees. Softer knees will help her with jump landings and give get stronger SS. But, that program had a lot of potential.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Great skate by Alysa today! I am usually a Russian Ladies fan but today it was Alysa all the way. I think it's great that she pushes the Russians. It will be a very exciting JGPF.:luv17:

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Congrats to Alysa for booking a ticket to Torino! She showed she is a true fighter today. The 4Lz, although UR, looked better aesthetically. She looked a bit nervous in the beginning and missed some musical accents, but once the difficult jumps were over she performed beautifully, and I think her SS have maybe improved. I would have to see a wide shot camera angle to know if her speed has improved for sure, but it looked good from this angle. I really like this program for her, and you can tell how much she's worked on it. Thats one of the things I love about her team - that they really seem to improve the programs as the year goes on. It's also amazing how seemingly consistent she is on these difficult jumps, even if the 4Lz is always UR. Hopefully next time she can land all her difficult jumps and perform the beginning choreo to its potential, but I know how hard that is when you have to focus so much on these crazy jumps. Anyways, she's on the right path and she's taking all of the right steps. I'm sure they're trying to address the 4Lz rotation issue (although it would be nice if they called her on it so she could improve, she would've won anyways). Its too bad she gets a lot of hate, but you see that with all girls doing quads, and I guess thats just the way it is (I don't think its an American thing because I see the same hate for the other quadsters). Hopefully it will die down as quads become more normal. Either way, she's so fun to watch and I wish her the best of luck!

truthbooth

On the Ice
Isabeau's Free Skate starts around 2:10:00 --> https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=763&type=Live

TES: 71.30 / PCS: 40.78 --> TS: 171.72 (57.64+114.08)

Layout: 3Lz+3T, 3Lz, 3F, 2A+3T / 3Lo+Eu+3S, 2Lz (maxed out triples), and 2A

She was not pleased with her Free Skate score, but I'm sure that by Nationals she will score 180+.

Do we know if Isabeau is competing on Novice or Junior at Nationals? Her win on Novice seems all but assured after beating the best in the country by 30 points here.

She would definitely be in the mix with a few others to win Junior.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Do we know if Isabeau is competing on Novice or Junior at Nationals? Her win on Novice seems all but assured after beating the best in the country by 30 points here.

She would definitely be in the mix with a few others to win Junior.

Isn't the new rule that if you're top 3 or something (top 2? top 4?) at Novice Sectionals (again I remembering the details a bit wrong), you get to go to Junior Nats? It seems like she might be trying to go that route, and I think that makes perfect sense since she seems to be dominating Novice already, so she would probably easily make it to Junior Nationals that way while getting some nice Novice titles along the way.

truthbooth

On the Ice
Isn't the new rule that if you're top 3 or something (top 2? top 4?) at Novice Sectionals (again I remembering the details a bit wrong), you get to go to Junior Nats? It seems like she might be trying to go that route, and I think that makes perfect sense since she seems to be dominating Novice already, so she would probably easily make it to Junior Nationals that way while getting some nice Novice titles along the way.

Oh yes, you're right. I keep forgetting Novice does not do "Nationals" anymore. I think it's the top 2 at each Novice sectional that advance to Junior nationals. I think she will easily make it to Junior nationals and I hope to see her skate well there!

natsulian

Final Flight
With Gracie confirming her first competitive event of the year being at Regionals, we just have to wait for Polina's return as well. Considering that she's competed at TWO club events this year, Polina seems poised to go the Regional to Sectional route as well.

Nationals will be bursting to the seams with talented ladies: Bradie Tennell, Mariah Bell, Karen Chen, Polina Edmunds, Gracie Gold, Starr Andrews, Ting Cui, Hanna Harrell, Alysa Liu, Gabriella Izzo, Emilia Murdock, Megan Wessenberg, Sarah Jung, and Amber Glenn. Hopefully we'll have 24+ ladies competing this year.

Also, the Junior ladies' division will be insanely packed with Mia Kalin, Isabeau Levito (should she be able to compete), Isabelle Inthisone, Kate Wang, Lindsay Thorngren, Calista Choi, and many more. Very exciting developments in the lower ranks.

frida80

Record Breaker
With Gracie confirming her first competitive event of the year being at Regionals, we just have to wait for Polina's return as well. Considering that she's competed at TWO club events this year, Polina seems poised to go the Regional to Sectional route as well.

Nationals will be bursting to the seams with talented ladies: Bradie Tennell, Mariah Bell, Karen Chen, Polina Edmunds, Gracie Gold, Starr Andrews, Ting Cui, Hanna Harrell, Alysa Liu, Gabriella Izzo, Emilia Murdock, Megan Wessenberg, Sarah Jung, and Amber Glenn. Hopefully we'll have 24+ ladies competing this year.

Also, the Junior ladies' division will be insanely packed with Mia Kalin, Isabeau Levito (should she be able to compete), Isabelle Inthisone, Kate Wang, Lindsay Thorngren, Calista Choi, and many more. Very exciting developments in the lower ranks.

It would be nice to have a full nationals. But what seems to happen is that talented ladies get bunched up in one sectional and a few have to stay home. Karen, Bradie , Alysa, Starr, Ting, and Mariah will have byes to nationals. They should give Amber, Hannah, and Gabriella an extra CS, so she gets a bye as well. Then there’s the 12 from sectionals. The Challengers schedule is so spread out that only one conflicts with Sectionals. We’ll have to what happens.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Congrats to Alysa for booking a ticket to Torino! She showed she is a true fighter today. The 4Lz, although UR, looked better aesthetically. She looked a bit nervous in the beginning and missed some musical accents, but once the difficult jumps were over she performed beautifully, and I think her SS have maybe improved. I would have to see a wide shot camera angle to know if her speed has improved for sure, but it looked good from this angle. I really like this program for her, and you can tell how much she's worked on it. Thats one of the things I love about her team - that they really seem to improve the programs as the year goes on. It's also amazing how seemingly consistent she is on these difficult jumps, even if the 4Lz is always UR. Hopefully next time she can land all her difficult jumps and perform the beginning choreo to its potential, but I know how hard that is when you have to focus so much on these crazy jumps. Anyways, she's on the right path and she's taking all of the right steps. I'm sure they're trying to address the 4Lz rotation issue (although it would be nice if they called her on it so she could improve, she would've won anyways). Its too bad she gets a lot of hate, but you see that with all girls doing quads, and I guess thats just the way it is (I don't think its an American thing because I see the same hate for the other quadsters). Hopefully it will die down as quads become more normal. Either way, she's so fun to watch and I wish her the best of luck!

Who said her lutz was under rotated? She received positive GOE on it. According to the judges, it wasn't.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Who said her lutz was under rotated? She received positive GOE on it. According to the judges, it wasn't.

Judges assign GOE, it was the tech panel who judged it fully rotated, and the tech panel has to agree 2/3. This panel called it fully around. I agree with the panel for the 4Lz, Kudos to Alysa!

Happy Skates

Final Flight

Since when have tech callers been 100% right on calls?. It was UR if you look at it in slow-mo. And to be clear, I don't think this takes away anything away from her achievement, I was just pointing out that they didn't call it.

readernick

Medalist
Since when have tech callers been 100% right on calls?. It was UR if you look at it in slow-mo. And to be clear, I don't think this takes away anything away from her achievement, I was just pointing out that they didn't call it.

Again, no more UR than most ladies quads. If Sherbakova's 4LZ last week was rotated than so was Alysa's. I personally think they were both a bit UR but neither was called so at least tech calling is consistent.

lusterfan

Final Flight
Not only was the 4Lz effortless, it was bigger, had more distance, and there was a lot more height. If she can put the same amount of effort in all of her triples, I think she'll start racking up higher GOE.

Alysa has nearly THREE months to improve as the Final will be begin in Italy on December 8th. Best of luck to Alysa.

Alysa seems to improve with every competition. I suspect that her team is slowly unraveling more for her as the season progresses to peak later. Valieva's two quad toes will surely push Alysa to try to add a second quad in her program - this will be so exciting!

Also a note on Ting - I watched her live at 4CC, where she skated pretty nervously. Today at her challenger, she's shown so much improvement in flow and using her arms gracefully rather than awkwardly. Will be exciting to see how if she can challenge for a Worlds spot!

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Alysa seems to improve with every competition. I suspect that her team is slowly unraveling more for her as the season progresses to peak later. Valieva's two quad toes will surely push Alysa to try to add a second quad in her program - this will be so exciting!

Also a note on Ting - I watched her live at 4CC, where she skated pretty nervously. Today at her challenger, she's shown so much improvement in flow and using her arms gracefully rather than awkwardly. Will be exciting to see how if she can challenge for a Worlds spot!

JGPF will definitely be very exciting! Alysa can't afford to lose any levels on spins or steps. And unfortunately, Alysa is about a point behind Kamila on every PCS category based on scores from this season. Side-by-side may be a different story. Alysa was much faster during the Baltic Cup, so I'm very interested in seeing them at the same competition.

It might do Alysa good to max out her spin levels. She could do CCoSp4, FCSp4, FCCoSp4 and remove the layback (free skate). Alysa should also work on getting 4s and 5s for every element, because there's no reason she can't get that. Kamila gets high GOEs for nearly everything she does (and deservedly so), so Alysa + team should focus on how to get high GOEs and high components scores. Very exciting indeed.

readernick

Medalist
I'm not going to argue about Russian ladies on this thread but no, this was more UR than Shcherbakova's. This one was borderline so I can see why the judges might not have seen it in real time but nevertheless it was UR, while the other quad you mentioned was not (and this is coming from someone who likes both skaters and is from the US, so not biased against Alysa in any way). But both amazing anyways!

You have a picture of a particular skater as your avatar. You are definitely biased. I like skaters from all over the world, too. Including, Scherbakova but I saw her quad and it was at 90 degrees under just like Alysa's. The silver medalist at worlds also UR her 4S by about the same measure. Sasha, too ( except her 4T which fully around 50% of the time ) Valieva is the only ladies skater whose quad is 100%fully rotated. I am just saying the calling is consistent. IF the ladies get to around 90 degrees UR the judges don't call it. They want to encourage more quads. It's fine but certain people only like to complain when it's not their favorite who doesn't get called.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
You have a picture of a particular skater as your avatar. You are definitely biased. I like skaters from all over the world, too. Including, Scherbakova but I saw her quad and it was at 90 degrees under just like Alysa's. The silver medalist at worlds also UR her 4S by about the same measure. Sasha, too ( except her 4T which fully around 50% of the time ) Valieva is the only ladies skater whose quad is 100%fully rotated. I am just saying the calling is consistent. IF the ladies get to around 90 degrees UR the judges don't call it. They want to encourage more quads. It's fine but certain people only like to complain when it's not their favorite who doesn't get called.

Having the skater in my avatar doesn't mean I don't equally like the other skater who is not... anyways it is pointless to continue arguing about this. I see what I see and you see what you see. Just because I disagree with you does not mean I'm bias. Anyways, I love Alysa and me pointing out her mistake does not take anything away from how amazing what she is doing is. Also Russian ladies don't really have to do with this thread anyways. And Alysa is one of my favorites, so yes I will call out an UR from my "favorite" if I see one.

To end this comment on a positive note, go Alysa! She's accomplished so much in just two JGPs, and is improving by the minute. And I'm sure she'll work on that lutz until she does rotate it, because that seems like the type of person she is. :)