2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 134 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW: USFS fan zone has a "one-stop shopping" page with links to results for all regionals and sectionals.

The Midwestern Sectionals site has posted practice groups, if you want to take a look at who is listed there.

Among Senior Ladies there, I see at least seven names who could be contenders for the top four placements. :popcorn:
Among Junior Ladies there, three competed in this season's JGP series.
Good luck to everyone. ...

Don't forget that all 3 sectionals are this week. Do we have a list of skaters who will be competing? …

FWIW: For Eastern and Pacific Coast Sectionals, I have not seen anything comparable to the practice groups that Midwestern Sectionals has posted.

As discussed in this thread and others, sectionals are the last chance for seniors to earn the TES minimum for Nats, if they have not already done so.

Good luck to all. :yay:

(BTW, I'm enjoying the series of Instagram posts from @laeliteice and @mjmskating with mini-profiles of their skaters going to sectionals. Would love to hear about other training groups that are doing something similar.)

Still proud of Amber. :yes: :ghug:
On NBC today, Tara had a lot of praise for Amber's performance quality. :)
I can't wait to see Amber at Nats.

natsulian

Final Flight
If Amber gets another Challenger assignment, I think she'll earn enough points to be assigned a Grand Prix event other than the TBD spot for Skate America. I hope this fuels her to become more consistent. If she can be consistent, I think she'll earn 68-71 in the Short with each event and around 125-135 for the Free. Her Short has been incredibly consistent this season and we just need that Long to be just as consistent. I would take out the 3Lz because once she messes it up, the rest of the program becomes a mess. I love her skating AND character and hope the best for her.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Funny you should ask. Jimmy lists one of his hobbies as “annoying Amber Glenn”.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00034363.htm

Team Cain sounds like a good place to train:biggrin:

That was cute.

But I'm really impressed by two of Jimmy's other hobbies too: Cooking AND cleaning. Both? Wow. Some smart young woman should take note.:biggrin:

I'm happy for Amber. She's making steady progress. Her SP at CoC was really impressive, and IIRC she was the only lady who skated the SP completely clean.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
I wonder if strategically it would be better for the US ladies NOT to go to the GPF. They could easily place last there even with two clean skates. I don’t know if that kind of thing has a subconscious effect on judging for the rest of the season. Probably not, but at the moment they have wins over big names and if they continue with strong performances at nationals and four continents I wonder if that would not place them in better stead in terms of momentum.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I wonder if strategically it would be better for the US ladies NOT to go to the GPF. They could easily place last there even with two clean skates. I don’t know if that kind of thing has a subconscious effect on judging for the rest of the season. Probably not, but at the moment they have wins over big names and if they continue with strong performances at nationals and four continents I wonder if that would not place them in better stead in terms of momentum.

Going to the GPF and doing two strong, clean skates that put them 5th or 6th would still be helpful because then they'll be seen as a spoiler that could get close to the podium when the Russian ladies above them make mistakes (more like Anna/Alina/Alena). It would be a really great opportunity for Mariah especially since she's seen more as #2.

frida80

Record Breaker
If Amber gets another Challenger assignment, I think she'll earn enough points to be assigned a Grand Prix event other than the TBD spot for Skate America. I hope this fuels her to become more consistent. If she can be consistent, I think she'll earn 68-71 in the Short with each event and around 125-135 for the Free. Her Short has been incredibly consistent this season and we just need that Long to be just as consistent. I would take out the 3Lz because once she messes it up, the rest of the program becomes a mess. I love her skating AND character and hope the best for her.

Her score of 186 will be good enough for her own GP spot next year. USFS will push for her to get a spot once the required spots have been issued.

Amber has always had a problem with FS. It must have been nerve wracking to be in medal position and know that you have to be perfect. It will take some time, but she will get learn to calm down not doubt herself during her FS. She’s made some great strides in the last few years.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Going to the GPF and doing two strong, clean skates that put them 5th or 6th would still be helpful because then they'll be seen as a spoiler that could get close to the podium when the Russian ladies above them make mistakes (more like Anna/Alina/Alena). It would be a really great opportunity for Mariah especially since she's seen more as #2.

These are both really interesting points of view. In his Google Tlk last week, Adam Rippon said that when he finally made it to the GPF, it was a mixed feeling when he came in 6th (personal feeling, not to do with the judges). as opposed to Worlds, where he could aspire to be in the top 10 and still there would be lots of good skaters and good skating who'd finish behind him. It's a different way of thinking. I don't know what Ashley Wagner was thinking when she twice was 6th after the SP at the GPF, but I would wager that she was determined! not to finish last in the event, to the extent she could control it, and she didn't -- she was 3rd in 2014-15, and 4th in 2015-16.

My feeling about Mariah is that she'd be genuinely grateful to be there, alongside other top skaters in the world, and with the way she's been getting more consistent, she'd skate beautifully there. Bradie is more of a puzzle to me, but I think she'd relish the opportunity to compete there and it would spur her to perform her best.

Again, this is all just a tangent off the posts I'm quoting, and it doesn't have to do with how they'd be perceived by the judges afterward, or where they'd finish.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her score of 186 will be good enough for her own GP spot next year. USFS will push for her to get a spot once the required spots have been issued.

Amber has always had a problem with FS. It must have been nerve wracking to be in medal position and know that you have to be perfect. It will take some time, but she will get learn to calm down not doubt herself during her FS. She’s made some great strides in the last few years.

You know, when Keegan Messing was skating the FS at CoC, I had the thought that he doesn't think that way, whether he's in medal position or not; rather he keeps the program foremost in his mind. Because he doesn't feel all is lost if he makes a mistake, I tend to forget about a bobble or even a fall, and I can truly enjoy the rest of the program. Skaters who feel they need to be perfect (top-form Gracie seems to me a good example) have a tendency to let themselves and the audience off the hook for enjoying the rest of the program. Actually, Gracie's skating and attitude this year seem to indicate that this is a big issue she's been working on and is having some success with that.

macy

Record Breaker

to me, qualifying to the GPF seems like another level of prestige that only the best of the best achieve. i think any placement there can only help you, even if you are last- there's only six spots. you did well enough to go in the first place.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I think they have nothing to lose and everything to gain - a medal, experience, money... The need to make whatever happens to their advantage - making it to the GPF or not. It is so good to see the US back fighitng on top. It is so odd not to see them fighting for the podium in ladies. Mind you years ago you wouldn' tsee a Russian lady fighting for a medal. Now we see the rise of the ryuna influenced Korean Ladies. It is so exciting.

ayb2

Rinkside
You know, when Keegan Messing was skating the FS at CoC, I had the thought that he doesn't think that way, whether he's in medal position or not; rather he keeps the program foremost in his mind. Because he doesn't feel all is lost if he makes a mistake, I tend to forget about a bobble or even a fall, and I can truly enjoy the rest of the program. Skaters who feel they need to be perfect (top-form Gracie seems to me a good example) have a tendency to let themselves and the audience off the hook for enjoying the rest of the program. Actually, Gracie's skating and attitude this year seem to indicate that this is a big issue she's been working on and is having some success with that.

I think this is the difference between having a growth mindset vs a fixed mindset - If you do poorly using that experience as a learning experience rather than just thinking that you just aren't good at the task. There's a lot of educational research lately on not praising gifted children for being gifted because this just makes them think giftedness is something they're born with rather than an outcome of hard work and learning.

tothepointe

On the Ice

Just qualifying is a good thing. It says you are one of the top 6 even if you place 6th. It reframes your reputation.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think this is the difference between having a growth mindset vs a fixed mindset - If you do poorly using that experience as a learning experience rather than just thinking that you just aren't good at the task. There's a lot of educational research lately on not praising gifted children for being gifted because this just makes them think giftedness is something they're born with rather than an outcome of hard work and learning.

Or, alternatively, research says that praising gifted children every time may unwittingly force on them a mind-set of trying to please others, to get the praise, rather than experiencing the feeling of accomplishment and empowerment ... learning to rely on themselves and their own perceptions and feelings. Parents and teachers can facilitate this with the right kind of praise that promotes a child's self-reliance. So to my mind it's not a "praise/don't praise" question.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
There are probably some GPF fields where it may not be as beneficial to go, but I'd say more often than not, it's a positive thing. In this situation where at GPF there will (presumably) be 3 Russian ladies with the highest technical content that nearly everyone else will have a tough time getting close to, it's not a bad idea to distinguish yourself as being one of the most consistent of the remaining top ladies competing. Also, GPF is a place where significant PCS boosts can happen, and with Mariah and Bradie being so close so far this season, I'm sure either of them would love to solidify a lead over the other going into Nationals.

lusterfan

Final Flight
I wish GPF was perceived as even more prestigious of a competition. I think in prior years, it wasn't too much of a challenge to make GPF but nowadays, you really have to be in the top echelons of the field just to make it in. I hope the general perception of GPF changes because it's insane how hard it is to qualify, given that it's arguably mostly merit-based.

I think finishing 5th or 6th in a GPF would establish you as part of the top! Finishing 5th or 6th at GPF for a Worlds podium threat would be disappointing, but Bradie and Mariah should be delighted if they were able to qualify.

(If Bradie/Mariah makes it) judges should realize that they had to out-qualify top-tier skaters like Evgenia, Elizaveta, Kaori, Satoko to be part of the "Top 6". In today's field, that's damn prestigious and should be a momentum builder going into Nationals, Continentals, and Worlds! Now let's see if an American lady can finally qualify back into GPF again:pray:

macy

Record Breaker
not sure if this has been shared already, but Bradie is listed as an entry at the Warsaw Cup this week in Poland.

lusterfan

Final Flight
not sure if this has been shared already, but Bradie is listed as an entry at the Warsaw Cup this week in Poland.

Making up for missing her early season challenger probably. She should come away with the gold easily, but she may find some competition in Serafima. Nonetheless, good way to earn points and build momentum :agree:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Going to the GPF is guaranteed to give a boost to a skater's world ranking points.

Even the last-place skater at the GPF gets 472 points: that is a boost of 72 if they have first as their lowest GP finish for the season (472 replacing 400), 112 if they have second (472 replacing 360), or 148 if they have third (472 replacing 324). It's even better if the skater finishes 4th or 5th at the GPF or if their best GP finish was lower than third.