2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

frida80

Record Breaker
I watched her program at Broadmoor open on YT and her 4lz technique seems to be different than other skaters. She was not holding her backward one foot glide like others, but only lifted her right leg right before she picked. I couldn't see very clearly from the videos, but looks to me that she was having full blade assistance rather than just the toe pick. I could be wrong.
She does. A consequence of so many other skaters doing it and not being penalized. It's something I hope Bryan addresses in the future.

bennorii

On the Ice
She looks great--like a woman instead of a little girl. And I think she is skating better than before.

Sometimes I forget that Amber is still 19!!! She's still young, yet she's evidently becoming more mature and growing into her own. Her skating is becoming more and more enjoyable as well!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Has the Los Angeles Open started yet? How soon until we catch a glimpse of Starr’s new Dance of the Seven Veils program?

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
According to the schedule it looks like it started yesterday, but both the junior and senior ladies sp are today
Cool, thanks! What time? Tonight? I’m so curious to see if Starr has added more difficulty to her programs. Is anyone else of note going to be there?

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I guess Starr Andrews didn’t compete at the Los Angeles Open tonight? I can’t find any information anywhere.

With the update about champs camp, I can’t help but wonder whether or not Mariah will be allowed to keep her Britney Spears sp.

Very curious to see what’s going on with Bell, Wessenberg and Harrell. I think Mariah is flying under the radar on purpose for a while. Wessenberg, I have no idea. Harrell, well, she’s not showing off on social media, which makes me wonder if the difficult jumps will be appearing at all this season?

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I guess Starr Andrews didn’t compete at the Los Angeles Open tonight? I can’t find any information anywhere.

With the update about champs camp, I can’t help but wonder whether or not Mariah will be allowed to keep her Britney Spears sp.

Very curious to see what’s going on with Bell, Wessenberg and Harrell. I think Mariah is flying under the radar on purpose for a while. Wessenberg, I have no idea. Harrell, well, she’s not showing off on social media, which makes me wonder if the difficult jumps will be appearing at all this season?

Starr probably did compete, it’s just a very low profile competition.

Wessenberg doesn’t usually post on social media, she’s been seen on the MJM Instagram training :thumbsup:

Do you mean difficult jumps such as quads? Yeah I’d hazard to guess Ting and Hanna wont be putting them in this season. Hanna maybe, later this year...but needs to focus on just getting the triples consistent and ready based on the Broadmoor open:)

frida80

Record Breaker

LA Open is pretty small, so we won't know anything for a few days. If it were GF, we'd get some video. It's better this way. She can just work on just getting the programs out there and start tweaking.

Toshsk8

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Cool, thanks! What time? Tonight? I’m so curious to see if Starr has added more difficulty to her programs. Is anyone else of note going to be there?

LA Open is Starr’s competition readiness for international assignments, required by USFSA and not indicative of what’s planned in her programs for the season. First competitions are usually ice breakers for skaters to acclimate and get feedback from the judges.

frida80

Record Breaker

Megan was at Broadmore two weeks ago. She made the final and scored a combined score of about 130. That’s not a. If deal because of the altitude and also it’s jusf the first competition. Her ISU SB will put her high on the alternate list. As for the SA spot, she has a lot of stiff competition.

As for Hanna, no quads yet. She had a stardars triple triple layout. However, Elizabet debut her 4S later in the season, she has that option as well.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Couple of overall scores from NQS combined events for senior ladies:

Vail Invitational
- Karen Chen 171.32

Cannon Texas Open
- Hanna Harrell 182.50

Emily Zhang is listed for 2019-20 Team D envelope funding from USFS.

Per 2019-20 envelope criteria, she would have to be the Emily Zhang (Richmond FSC) who placed sixth in Junior Ladies at 2019 Nats (as opposed to the other Emily Zhang).

Mentioning b/c I believe I have seen rumors(?) that the Emily Zhang from Richmond FSC was going to represent China?

USFS envelope funding would suggest that the rumors are not true. ...

Update to my Jul 2 post:

Emily Zhang's name has disappeared from the USFS team envelope.

Guess I spoke too soon?​

brightphoton

Medalist
Not really related to figure skating, but I recently read an article that reminded me of Michelle and Tara. No, I'm still not over it, Michelle wuzrobbed.

The researchers found that most athletes suffer a significant setback early in their career, but some react differently to others. For the truly exceptional athletes, who went on to win Olympic medals, the setback enhanced their motivation; for the merely ‘good’, the near miss was discouraging.
They identified two groups: “near-miss” individuals, whose grant proposals fell just below the funding threshold, and “near-win” individuals, who scraped in just above the threshold. Just as UK Sport found with athletes, losing out acted like a form of natural selection. About one in 10 of the near-missers disappeared from the system altogether, but those who persevered went on to publish more high-impact papers over the following decade than the near-winners.
There can be something uniquely energising about the experience of finishing second instead of first. Adam Leive, an economist at the University of Virginia, assembled a database of medal winners in Olympic track and field events, between 1846 and 1948, and looked at what happened to their lives after they had won a medal. Leive found that the athletes who just missed out on the top podium spot went on to live longer and more successful lives than those who won. Silver medallists were more ambitious in their post-sport careers, finding better paid jobs. By the age of 80, about half of them were still alive, compared to about a third of gold medallists.

Why suffering setbacks could make you more successful
http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20190703-why-suffering-setbacks-could-make-you-more-successful

The Great British Medalists Project: A Review of Current Knowledge on the Development of the World’s Best Sporting Talent
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40279-016-0476-2

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Is it true that Emmy Ma and Angelina Huang are not skating for the US anymore? Or is this just a rumor? Maybe sylviaunseen meant something else, I got the information from her Twitter.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Is it true that Emmy Ma and Angelina Huang are not skating for the US anymore? Or is this just a rumor? Maybe sylviaunseen meant something else, I got the information from her Twitter.

They are competing for Chinese Taipei and signed up for its Nationals. We've known about Angelina Huang for quite a while. Just learned about Emmy, but it explains why her name came off the ISP.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Both Emmy and Angelina will compete at Taiwan Nationals, coming up soon. Emmy's name has been removed from the US ISP.