2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 76 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

tosca

On the Ice
If Mariah gets a stable 3-3 and manages to stay as consistent as she did during the second half of the season, I think she’ll battle it out with Ting for the second spot. Ting has the highest scoring potential, but with her having just recovered from an injury, we’ll have to see her condition. Great thing is, Ting (and Amber) skates this week so we will be able to gauge her condition. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ting goes for the 4T during the second half of the season. She’s already off the harness on the 3A, 4T, and 4S. Plus, she’s landed them, they’re just under by a very small margin. As for Karen, she will have to fix her under-rotation problems and stay consistent.

Wait.. how do you know these ting updates?!?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Trying these elements when your triples are not strong enough or clean to me is a cheap trick for attention, regardless of who does it.

As other have said, Gracie probably isn't training these and posting them online to signal an intent to try these jumps in competition. Rather, I think it's just to show everyone the tremendous progress she's made and her desire to push herself to new heights. Less than a year ago, she was doing her 2A in a harness and now she's able to do all the jumps and combinations she competed with in her prime. What she's doing in a harness now, I'm not sure if she has the height and rotation speed to pull those jumps off without assistance. Having said that, I do think there is a greater than 0% chance she attempts one or more of the 3A, 4S, or 4Lz in competition by 2022 because she'll need those to if she wants to compete with the top women internationally.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
If Mariah gets a stable 3-3 and manages to stay as consistent as she did during the second half of the season, I think she’ll battle it out with Ting for the second spot. Ting has the highest scoring potential, but with her having just recovered from an injury, we’ll have to see her condition. Great thing is, Ting (and Amber) skates this week so we will be able to gauge her condition. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ting goes for the 4T during the second half of the season. She’s already off the harness on the 3A, 4T, and 4S. Plus, she’s landed them, they’re just under by a very small margin. As for Karen, she will have to fix her under-rotation problems and stay consistent.

How do you know that Ting has these jumps? If so thats amazing, pls don't leave us on a cliff-hanger like this :laugh:

theharleyquinn

Medalist

Another challenge with Ting is just seeing how she adjusts to a full senior schedule of international competitions and manages nerves/excitement. I'm hoping she learned a lot from the Nationals and 4CC experiences because she has so much potential.

LRK

Record Breaker
As other have said, Gracie probably isn't training these and posting them online to signal an intent to try these jumps in competition. Rather, I think it's just to show everyone the tremendous progress she's made and her desire to push herself to new heights. Less than a year ago, she was doing her 2A in a harness and now she's able to do all the jumps and combinations she competed with in her prime. What she's doing in a harness now, I'm not sure if she has the height and rotation speed to pull those jumps off without assistance. Having said that, I do think there is a greater than 0% chance she attempts one or more of the 3A, 4S, or 4Lz in competition by 2022 because she'll need those to if she wants to compete with the top women internationally.

She may be doing it to challenge and motivate herself - trying something new, to see if she can do it.

I think her mindset is key - if she is doing this because she enjoys it, and isn't putting the wrong kind of pressure or expectation on herself, I think she may succeed.

natsulian

Final Flight
I have online friends who train at the same rink as Ting. Plus, I sometimes talk with Ting on Instagram. She’s a very well spoken and kind girl. The only reason why I’ve stated these things is because these people have spoken about it in public. If it was something they didn’t want out, I would never share it publicly.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In her early days in juniors/seniors, Gracie could have worked on quad lutz: the height and distance were definitely there.

Now, it would be just a cheap trick to gain attention, a bit like Mirai's 3a (no offense) and i seriously wish she doesn't fall into that, because that would take away time she could spend on getting the programs together and skating them clean.

Mirai’s 3A a cheap trick to gain attention? Sorry, I’m offended.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because it is not meant to offend the skater.

Trying these elements when your triples are not strong enough or clean to me is a cheap trick for attention, regardless of who does it.

There is a procedure for everything, it's about understanding priorities. If Mirai's priority was landing the 3A good for her, she did it!

If you ask me if that was the right decision in order to get higher scores, i'd say maybe not.

Starr Andrews tried that too for a while, now she moved over and worked on her regular triples instead and you see the results: less calls, higher GOE on her regular jumps, higher scores. Maybe she will come back to the 3A in the future and it will be a different story now that her other triples are much more reliable.

Mirai’s triple axel got her to the Olympics and an Olympic medal. She made history with it, too. It was hardly a “cheap trick.” To say so is offensive to her and her fans.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
In her early days in juniors/seniors, Gracie could have worked on quad lutz: the height and distance were definitely there.

Now, it would be just a cheap trick to gain attention, a bit like Mirai's 3a (no offense) and i seriously wish she doesn't fall into that, because that would take away time she could spend on getting the programs together and skating them clean.

Well some people do think of ladies' 3A's and quads as "tricks" but they sure don't come cheap. I doubt if any skater would spent thousands of $$$, hundreds of hours, and risk major injury just to acquire "cheap tricks."

I get your general point, that all the skating skills and other triples ideally should be rock solid before adding the more complex and riskier jump elements....but your phrasing and tone sure comes out inelegantly in English.....and yes, it could be taken as purposely offensive by many.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
This discussion makes me think of the 70’s version of the film Ice Castles when the main characters coach lectures her that “triples are just show off acrobatics”. It shows how times have changed!

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
This discussion makes me think of the 70’s version of the film Ice Castles when the main characters coach lectures her that “triples are just show off acrobatics”. It shows how times have changed!

You know who the queen of cheap tricks was? Sonja Henie. She had some nerve, wearing those short skirts and thinking a lady skater can jump a single Axel at all. :laugh2:

Obviously, I jest but that’s what comments like that remind me of. Also, laughing at the thought of plugging “no offense” onto a statement to try to negate any possible offense. LOL. And also SMH.

If this “cheap trick” helps build Gracie’s confidence and maybe even benefit her triples then I’m all for it.

tosca

On the Ice
I have online friends who train at the same rink as Ting. Plus, I sometimes talk with Ting on Instagram. She’s a very well spoken and kind girl. The only reason why I’ve stated these things is because these people have spoken about it in public. If it was something they didn’t want out, I would never share it publicly.

I appreciate these updates! Sorry didn’t mean to interrogate! I just am waited with baited breath for Ting to perform and love hearing news about her. I wonder what her success rate is for her 3A, 4T, and 4S

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Different things work for different people. What worked for Mirai might not/does not work for someone else.

As for Gracie, my only hope is she does what she feels is right for her, that's all that matters.
If she wants to try to throw in a quad, good for her.
If she takes a slower more methodical direction, building up her triple reliability, good for her.
If she decides not to make a proper comeback at all and does something new with her life, good for her.
As long as she's happy and healthy.

I agree. I wish her well. Hopefully with less pressure on her this year she can do what she really wants to do. I am not going to deny I had mixed feelings about her last year's attempt. I haven't followed everything but it is a bit confusing. Was Gracie really ready to compete with triples at Russia? Was showing up at Russia just a way to keep her in the running for Nationals because perhaps she knew she couldn't make it out of Regionals/Sectionals? Regardless hopefully she now has the opportunity to explore her come back and what she really wants. Life will go on for Gracie with or without competitive skating.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well some people do think of ladies' 3A's and quads as "tricks" but they sure don't come cheap. I doubt if any skater would spent thousands of $$$, hundreds of hours, and risk major injury just to acquire "cheap tricks."

I get your general point, that all the skating skills and other triples ideally should be rock solid before adding the more complex and riskier jump elements....but your phrasing and tone sure comes out inelegantly in English.....and yes, it could be taken as purposely offensive by many.

I think some coaches feel you constantly need to push them hence trying harder tricks when you still are developing other tricks.

KatGrace1925

Medalist

I disagree with the description “cheap trick” there is nothing cheap about it, it takes incredibly hard work to get those jumps. If she got one it wouldn’t be a cheap trick at all, it would be something she worked hard for. It shows she wants to be competitive in the current atmosphere in ladies skating, ladies are doing quads now, for better or worse this is our new reality.

KatGrace1925

Medalist

Gracie’s triples are strong And looking beautiful right now if you haven’t been paying attention. She’s just beginning training other jumps, that doesn’t mean she’s going to put the triples on the back-burner for quads. Gracie’s show incredible commitment to her comeback and made huge progress from what happened in the grand prix last year. I am rooting for her to go for whatever she feels she needs to be competitive.