2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 86 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

natsulian

Final Flight
I think Gracie's legitimately trying to incorporate a 3A or quad in the future because she talked about wanting to be off the harness as soon as possible. So that got me thinking: how long do skaters wait until they're off the harness? I guess it'll be different for everyone since we all learn at different paces, but there must be an average or something...

truthbooth

On the Ice
Has Gracie spoken about which Regional she will compete at? If she continues to represent the same club she has in the past (Wagon Wheel FSC in IL), she will compete at the Upper Great Lake Regional beginning 10/23. Alternatively, if she chooses to represent the club of the rink she trains at (IceWorks SC in PA), she will compete at the South Atlantic Regional beginning 10/2, which is actually at her home rink. Skaters can also be given exemptions so she could continue to represent Wagon Wheel FSC while competing at South Atlantics. There might also be some strategy around which Regional/Sectional will be more competitive.

Jordynn2017

Spectator
I know I’m late to the party on this but I think both of Karen’s programs, especially the short, are stunning. She just has this quality that draws me in. The facial expressions are there and every motion is performed all the way through her fingertips. Hoping for a great season for her!

Jordynn2017

Spectator
I feel as though she would probably choose to represent IceWorks SC and to skate at her own rink for regionals where she would be most comfortable, but we won’t really know until she decides to say more on the subject. Either way, it seems like it won’t be long until we get to see her compete!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has Gracie spoken about which Regional she will compete at? If she continues to represent the same club she has in the past (Wagon Wheel FSC in IL), she will compete at the Upper Great Lake Regional beginning 10/23. Alternatively, if she chooses to represent the club of the rink she trains at (IceWorks SC in PA), she will compete at the South Atlantic Regional beginning 10/2, which is actually at her home rink. Skaters can also be given exemptions so she could continue to represent Wagon Wheel FSC while competing at South Atlantics. There might also be some strategy around which Regional/Sectional will be more competitive.

The ISU Bio lists Gracie's club as "IceWorks Skating Club" for her club, not just her rink.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013680.htm

princessalica

Final Flight
The truth. Almost anyone can do a quad in a harness. A better indicator of her readiness will be her performance at sectionals and regionals. I wish her the best. I don't trust Instagram posts.

In one of her most recent posts she talked about lowering the amount of support she was getting on her new jumps and they still feel comfortable. I doubt she’d even attempt one of them at regionals or possibly this year at all, but she did seem to indicate that she felt she would be working on likely the 3a and the 4s off harness. The 4z was scarier.

natsulian

Final Flight
Gracie said she's going to be competing at Regionals. Regionals for her area are next week at IceWorks October 2-6 so we'll finally get to see her compete then.

Alysa's Regionals are October 23-27.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gracie said she's going to be competing at Regionals. Regionals for her area are next week at IceWorks October 2-6 so we'll finally get to see her compete then.

Alysa's Regionals are October 23-27.

I don't think Alysa has to compete at Regionals? She has a bye to Nationals both because she was in the top 5 last year and for qualifying for JGPF (which I presume means both regionals/sectionals).

catjohnsn2

Spectator
The majority of those of us in this forum have never been in a pair of ice skates...much less actually skated in a rink. They are "armchair quarterbacks" who can bully, snark, and criticize anonymously from behind a computer screen. So many of these skaters are really young teens who have not developed thick skins to deflect the subjective opinions thrust at them on social media and in these forums. Opinions are like __sholes.....everybody has one.

We should be celebrating their success and should leave the real work to their coaches and the athletes.

frida80

Record Breaker
I don't think Alysa has to compete at Regionals? She has a bye to Nationals both because she was in the top 5 last year and for qualifying for JGPF (which I presume means both regionals/sectionals).

She will probably go anyway for practice. She had a bye to sectionals last year, but went to regionals anyway to practice her 4Lz. If she’s planning on adding a 4S, she’ll probably go to both of them.

Shani

On the Ice
Alyssa will want to win the JGP final so you might not see her at sectionals or regionals because she has a bye. Competing there at senior level, and at JCP at Junior level means keeping four competitive progarms at the same time with a bigger chance of error that could cost her. I think it's more likely she will just do JGP final and then senior at nationals.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Alyssa will want to win the JGP final so you might not see her at sectionals or regionals because she has a bye. Competing there at senior level, and at JCP at Junior level means keeping four competitive progarms at the same time with a bigger chance of error that could cost her. I think it's more likely she will just do JGP final and then senior at nationals.

Let's be real, Alysa could win sectionals or regionals with her junior programs. She doesn't even need a choreo sequence to win the long, I'm sure it's not that hard to put in, and I don't think she's going to mind extra training for her SP 3A+3T, even if it'd be more optimal to do 3Lz+3T, 3Lo (just for practice; swap for 3F if needed), 3A

frida80

Record Breaker

The difference between a senior FS and a junior FS is 30 seconds and a Choreo Sequence. She just wants to get more mileage on her program so she can improve her consistency and increase her speed. If she asks, USFS will send her to a junior comp in Europe like Golden Bear.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
The difference between a senior FS and a junior FS is 30 seconds and a Choreo Sequence. She just wants to get more mileage on her program so she can improve her consistency and increase her speed. If she asks, USFS will send her to a junior comp in Europe like Golden Bear.

I don't think going to Europe is necessary, we saw that before her JGP events she was doing junior "exhibitions" at local comps to practice her layouts. She'll probably just continue to do that, maybe she'll even compete in seniors at regionals/sectionals and then do exhibitions in the junior categories, like she did Broadmoore.

natsulian

Final Flight
Alysa’s possible layout for the Final and Junior Worlds could be...

- 3A+3T, 3A, 4Lz+2T, 4Lz / 3Lz+Eu+3S, 3F, and 3Lo

If she plans on adding a 4S, she’s going to have to have a quad or a 3A in the second half... that’s pure insanity.

- 3A+3T, 4Lz+2T, 4Lz, 4S / 3A, 3Lz+Eu+3S, and 3F

concorde

Medalist
I think Gracie's legitimately trying to incorporate a 3A or quad in the future because she talked about wanting to be off the harness as soon as possible. So that got me thinking: how long do skaters wait until they're off the harness? I guess it'll be different for everyone since we all learn at different paces, but there must be an average or something...
How long on harness? Depends on 1) how ready the skater is to really start doing the jump and 2) how willing the skater is to get beaten up by the ice as soon as they come off it.

There really is no average but realistically probably a minimum of a couple of months. Even after a skater gets a jump, a skater may go back on the harness to refine their technique.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Alysa’s possible layout for the Final and Junior Worlds could be...

- 3A+3T, 3A, 4Lz+2T, 4Lz / 3Lz+Eu+3S, 3F, and 3Lo

If she plans on adding a 4S, she’s going to have to have a quad or a 3A in the second half... that’s pure insanity.

- 3A+3T, 4Lz+2T, 4Lz, 4S / 3A, 3Lz+Eu+3S, and 3F

While possible, those layouts would be tough. She can do all the jumps, but fatigue could be a factor if she tries that many difficult elements.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
How long on harness? Depends on 1) how ready the skater is to really start doing the jump and 2) how willing the skater is to get beaten up by the ice as soon as they come off it.

There really is no average but realistically probably a minimum of a couple of months. Even after a skater gets a jump, a skater may go back on the harness to refine their technique.

Thanks for this information. I have another question. Does the harness/pole help "lift" the skater or it is more to allow her to come down more softly? If it's the latter, Gracie is getting tremendous height on her own with the 3A attempts (https://www.instagram.com/p/B2rtqdCnA-k/).