2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
That's what I think too. I just can't see Alysa scoring all that well against, say Valieva, on ANY mark even if she's getting close to the rotations. Valieva looks like Superwoman compared to Alysa's tiny, slow jumps and small skating. What has happened over the summer? Her SKATING looks worse. And who is the choreographer? It looks like a generic pretty princess Lori Nichol program to me. I thought she went to TCC and was being choreographed by David Wilson??? I can't believe he is responsible for this program. Alysa is capable of being dynamic and musical, and this program is just pretty arms here, dainty position there. Whoever choreographed it obviously does not understand Alysa's talent for music and movement....

I’m a fan of Alysa, but I have to agree that she is not currently at Valieva’s level.

I think both of Alysa’s programs this season are choreographed by Lori?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think Alysa showed at Nationals that she’s capable of skating nice programs with 3As, though perhaps not Valieva level programs. Hopefully she’ll be able to do well at Lake Placid.

It’s possible that she threw the 4Zs into her programs here not because she intends to debut them at Lake Placid, but just to get a feel for them in competition (ie thinking ahead to GPF). Time will tell.

Tahuu

On the Ice
Saw Alysa's protocol and downloaded her jump videos to play them frame by frame. I'd say 3A<, 4Lz<(or<<)+2T, 4Lz<< and 3A<+2T. Had high hope she could compete with the Russians now and in 2022. Not promising. Just have to wait and see.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
It's only June. Alysa and her programs are in decent condition considering there are still about 2 months left of summer. No one should aim to peak in June.

With that said, it's good that she was able to land some quads in competition(even with UR), but I think they should take 1 of them out. No one debuts a new element and immediately has success with it, so I think there should be a slower buildup rather than forcing it. 3A in the short, 2 3As and 1 4Lz in the long is crazy enough anyway.

As for her program, It was empty during the first 4 elements, but I thought it was nice after that. I don't think she's an exceptional performer, but for her age I think she is adequately musical and has nice positions and carriage. I do agree that she's slow though, it also doesn't help that she's SO tiny, so it's really difficult to feel like she's "filling out" the ice, even when she has nice positions and whatnot.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I had no idea. Is this a new change?

Actually, there was a change to the repetition rule last year (see ISU Communication 2176), but it has become more restrictive, not less.

The current wording is "Of all triple and quadruple jumps only two (2) can be executed twice.
Of the two repetitions only one (1) can be a quadruple jump."

That means that as of last season skaters can no longer repeat two different quads. They can now repeat two different triples or one triple and one quad.

It's been at least 20 years since quads were added to the rule, so repeating two triples and one quad hasn't been legal since before many of the current skaters were born.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
With that said, it's good that she was able to land some quads in competition(even with UR), but I think they should take 1 of them out. No one debuts a new element and immediately has success with it, so I think there should be a slower buildup rather than forcing it. 3A in the short, 2 3As and 1 4Lz in the long is crazy enough anyway.

3A is not allowed in the short in Juniors

frida80

Record Breaker
Everyone relax. This is her first competition of the year at the most challenging location in the country. It's supposed to look slow, empty, wonky. As she more confident in her layout, she and everyone else will improve other the season.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I think both of Alysa’s programs this season are choreographed by Lori?

Is this confirmed? I have no idea, but I've seen sooooo many Lori Nichol pretty princess programs to, I suppose, recognize them on sight. I think Kwan is Mr. Liu's favorite skater (he has good taste) but at 13 Alysa does not need to LEARN how to "ooze like toothpaste". Alysa is exceptionally gifted/talented in her presentation already. That's what made her so engaging at Nationals. For her to just do 'pretty pretty' is so below her talented gifts. I believe Alysa could choreograph her own programs already, and not rely on a "name" to choreograph, especially if said "name" was doing her no favors. How much does it cost for a LN long program? $8K? $10K? Alysa could have choreographed this herself in her sleep.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
When was the last time Lori did a good program for a lady? Carolina Kostner?

Her best work these days are for the Chinese pairs. She seems dried out on inspiration when it comes to ladies skaters.

frida80

Record Breaker
Saw Alysa's protocol and downloaded her jump videos to play them frame by frame. I'd say 3A<, 4Lz<(or<<)+2T, 4Lz<< and 3A<+2T. Had high hope she could compete with the Russians now and in 2022. Not promising. Just have to wait and see.

I looked at them slowmo, the 3A looked rotated, but I'm totally out of practice. It's completely normal for club competitions to call jumps rotated when their not our tech controllers are terrible. Which is why we send so many underrotations skaters to international competitions unaware of their problem until it's too late. I agree on the 4Lzes. Although, I think the first was just < and the 2nd had a clear forward landing.

Alysa during the summer last year was consistently landing under rotated 3As. Over time she got better until she finally was landed them clean. Now she's sticking transitions in front of them. I'm going to enjoy watching her grow this season.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Is this confirmed? I have no idea, but I've seen sooooo many Lori Nichol pretty princess programs to, I suppose, recognize them on sight. I think Kwan is Mr. Liu's favorite skater (he has good taste) but at 13 Alysa does not need to LEARN how to "ooze like toothpaste". Alysa is exceptionally gifted/talented in her presentation already. That's what made her so engaging at Nationals. For her to just do 'pretty pretty' is so below her talented gifts. I believe Alysa could choreograph her own programs already, and not rely on a "name" to choreograph, especially if said "name" was doing her no favors. How much does it cost for a LN long program? $8K? $10K? Alysa could have choreographed this herself in her sleep.

And if she did choreograph it in her sleep it looked like it too. But give her some slack everyone its the first event of the season basically and we have two months of summer - she has three months really or a quarter of a year before things really heat up - okay two for juniors I guess.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Hanna posted a really beautiful 3F(rippon) out of transitions on her instagram story. I love her jumps! :hap10:

macy

Record Breaker
Really? Seeing this performance scares me now. Kamila Valieva is nearly one year YOUNGER than Alysa!!! Kamila isn't relying solely upon quick rotation, and all of her jump takeoffs are secure. And she skates BIG. It's night and day to me.

yes, it's very clear actual skating has been worked on steadily with kamila and not so much for alysa. i think her attempting quads and 3As is great, but she REALLY REALLY needs to work on the rest of her skating even more to get ready for seniors down the road. she has a ton of work to do before she can even be compared to kamila.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
That's what I think too. I just can't see Alysa scoring all that well against, say Valieva, on ANY mark even if she's getting close to the rotations. Valieva looks like Superwoman compared to Alysa's tiny, slow jumps and small skating.
Well, all is possible - if judges will decide so. Here is You Young's
protocol from the same competition:
https://media.8ch.net/file_store/42...be28201e36396f036a3c06832884238c6bc9bb807.jpg
Liu's "slow jumps and small skating" were assessed as having almost +5 PCS points advantage above famous Korean skater after all :confused2:

Do you really expect national judges in small comps to have the same standard as ISU judges?
Considering it's still international competition - well, yes? :scratch2:

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Well, all is possible - if judges will decide so. Here is You Young's
protocol from the same competition:
https://media.8ch.net/file_store/42...be28201e36396f036a3c06832884238c6bc9bb807.jpg
Liu's "slow jumps and small skating" were assessed as having almost +5 PCS points advantage above famous Korean skater after all :confused2:

Yeah, at a competition in the US judged by national judges, come on now.

I am a fan of alysa, but this lp looked very raw. In other news, Karen Chen must have have skated a pretty solid short. She earned a score of 76+ https://twitter.com/zucchilles/status/1144036639058083840?s=21

Amber Glenn is in second with 65+ and Pooja takes third with 51+