Jason Brown gets critiqued by Rohene Ward on new SP | Golden Skate

Jason Brown gets critiqued by Rohene Ward on new SP

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m so glad this is a separate thread, I hope it gets more attention.

I did say this elsewhere, but even if Jason is not your favorite skater, even if you’re not sure you understand or like Rohene’s choreo, you owe it to yourself to watch this. It’s gold.

Some skater’s reactions to Ro’s commentary on Twitter and IG (from memory, so may not be exact)

Adam Rippon “ ‘what position is that’ ? I cracked up”
Brooklee Han : “ ‘if you do that I’ll kill you’ Working with Rohene is like that”
Bradie Tennell: “OMG this is giving me flashbacks”

Rohene Ward should do commentary for every skating event ever :laugh:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
This is totally golden. I hope more clips of J-Ro moments on the ice to follow. And :agree: to el henry, would love Rohene's commentaries!!!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Ha ha I’m trying to imagine him commentating the men’s FS at Worlds 2019. :devil:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ha ha I’m trying to imagine him commentating the men’s FS at Worlds 2019. :devil:

Someone with better dubbing skills than I could almost overlay some of those comments ....

“What kind of spin is thaaaaaaat”:roll5:

“Loooove it”:luv17:

at appropriate moments for all the skates:laugh:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is like gold, and SO Rohene! Frankly, right now I have thoughts of a Sho-Ro collaboration! I'm not sure if Ro's remarks would lose something in the translation to Japanese, but it has the potential to be awesome.

After all his work with Rohene, I'm sure Jason is totally unfazed by this. I especially liked the bad camel remark. :luv17:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I think that aside of fun content, it shows how easy and impactful the chemistry between Jason and Rohene is in terms of working together - it takes this particular union of attitudes and engaged approach towards choreographing not something, but FOR someone to produce 'effortless' moments like these. Rohene obviously understands Jason very well, his style/way of movement, knows his strength and where to push - and for me, these are quite important features to make up of a memorable program in terms of sole creation/visual of it; of course, Jason's programs created by Rohene are not everyone's cup of tea, but what I always appreciate is how they both come up with something that can be immediately associated as 'Jason's', putting that aesthetical seal on it, with refinement of movement, highlighting Jason's flexibility, beautiful spins, musicality, intricacy of his lines and extensions.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
After watching once again, I think it is also important to get this kind of 'distance' to yourself and your work, not making everything top-serious and stiff - I find both Jason and Rohene quite outgoing, full of energy and attitude towards skating and people and releasing this energy in such way, catching that much-needed perspective about all things skating, could help in cumulating it again for competitions/important showings of programs. I think also such 'review' may help in catching some potential 'mannerism' in movement/gesticulation/expression that choreographer would like to avoid, like what looks silly or inadequate to the music or movement.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I love this clip. It is funny, but so revealing

I have loved Ro and Jason for a long time!

Kudos to Jason for knowing how to use this sort of criticism constructively! He is a good role model for all of us.

Watch

Final Flight
Watching it on repeat because this is just hilarious :laugh2: we need this narration everywhere.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've met him twice -- once in Helsinki and once he was on my plane on the way to Sk Can. He's quite a character and very friendly. Maybe we can tell the powers that be that we need him for skating commentary. (But of course he still has to continue to do his amazing choreo!!!).

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
There were some hilarious moments when they were choreographing Hamilton too. They are a great team and the end results are phenomenal. If they can do as well or better than Love is a B***ch, it will be amazing! Can't wait to see it!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
:laugh2: :rofl: :laugh2: :rofl: :laugh2: :dbana:

I just about choked on my own laughter while simultaneously spewing hot tea all over my iPad’s screen.

Watch out, Rohene, I’ll be filing a lawsuit in Canadian small claims court. You owe me a new iPad.

:laugh2:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This didn't surprise me much as it's pretty normal for students/choreographers in figure skating.