Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: 2019-20 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by el henry View Post
    Alex Krasnozhon is officially listed as the third US man at Skate America

https://www.2019skateamerica.com/athletes

(H/T to @AlexKBiggestFan in the Fan Fest for the tip).

As I said in the Fan Fest, I am really looking forward to the growth of Alex K.'s programs. They are strong, passionate, and tailored to Alex K.'s strengths. Kudos to Alex Johnson for knowing his skater
    I'm excited for Alex this year. I still can't imagine any skater breaking into the top 3 unless one of the top men has a meltdown at nationals. Even a quadless Jason has such high PCS that I don't see him out of the top 3.

Medalist

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrice View Post
    I'm excited for Alex this year. I still can't imagine any skater breaking into the top 3 unless one of the top men as a meltdown at nationals. Even a quadless Jason has such high PCS that I don't see him out of the top 3.
    If someone does break into the top 3, I think Tomoki is the one most likely to do so. He has quads, good SS and interpretation. But, I think that will only happen if injury/ terrible season occur for the top 3.

Outdated Old Dinosaur

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by readernick View Post
    If someone does break into the top 3, I think Tomoki is the one most likely to do so. He has quads, good SS and interpretation. But, I think that will only happen if injury/ terrible season occur for the top 3.
    I think he's got a shot. It's too early to know. We haven't seen any competition programs from the top men.

Tomoki's at that age where tremendous improvements can happen in the space of a year. As you note, he's got a pretty good base, and I think he performed really well towards the end of the last season.

It wasn't that long ago that people thought that Jason would be a perennial National Champion. Then they thought Vincent wouldn't really be able to challenge for the number 2 spot. So, no, I'm not putting much stock in any argument that Jason couldn't be bumped from the main part of the podium.

That said, I'm from Missouri (figuratively) so all the men are going to have to show me. Instagram and Twitter are nice, but eventually it's time to put it on the ice.

Uno, Dos, twizzle!

2 Not allowed!
    Well Jason hasn’t been posting on Instagram or Twitter much at all lately so who knows what his status is other than some TSL report that he might have had a minor (?) concussion from a car accident during champs camp but somehow was doing his triples fine about two weeks later?

I hope he’s okay and we’ll see him at Nebelhorn next week. We’ll see Vince, Tomoki, Alexei and Jimmy this week!

Fangirl of men’s spirals and split jumps el henry's Avatar

5 Not allowed!
    I don’t know if Alex, Andrew T., Tomoki or anyone else has a shot at the top three at Nats this year. I like them all for different reasons, so you go, guys.

But Jason is my favorite, that’s no secret. Even a smudge above my Andrew T. I do know that never did I say, or did I see other Jason fans on this Board say, that Jason would be national champion forever. Want, of course; predict never. And I certainly never said that Vincent would never finish ahead of him at Nats. (That is a big difference from offering an opinion on who skated better at a particular comp).

I did say, and I still say, that no one should make assumptions about young guns just because they were young guns. I’m not a huge fan of assumptions either way.

I just devoutly hope Jason is OK for Nebelhorn.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by el henry View Post
    I don’t know if Alex, Andrew T., Tomoki or anyone else has a shot at the top three at Nats this year. I like them all for different reasons, so you go, guys.

But Jason is my favorite, that’s no secret. Even a smudge above my Andrew T. I do know that never did I say, or did I see other Jason fans on this Board say, that Jason would be national champion forever. Want, of course; predict never. And I certainly never said that Vincent would never finish ahead of him at Nats. (That is a big difference from offering an opinion on who skated better at a particular comp).

I did say, and I still say, that no one should make assumptions about young guns just because they were young guns. I’m not a huge fan of assumptions either way.

I just devoutly hope Jason is OK for Nebelhorn.
    This should be an interesting week with so many guys making their season debuts, and I’m especially looking forward to seeing Tomoki’s Petrushka program. But I have to say that Jason’s month-long silence is a bit concerning in view of the TSL report.

Regarding Jason as national champion - hah. What I recall is a lot of people criticizing his win (including a Phil Hersh article about how terrible it was that our new national champion was quadless), a lot of wuzrobbing for Josh and Adam, Johnny Weir talking about Josh’s “authentic” versus Jason’s “manufactured” artistry, and a lot of people saying that Josh, not Jason, was the “total package.” But predicting he would be the perennial national champion - not so much.

0 Not allowed!
    Jason has withdrawn from Nebelhorn.

Fangirl of men’s spirals and split jumps el henry's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavi... View Post
    Jason has withdrawn from Nebelhorn.

1 Not allowed!
    Reported concussion. Back on the ice. Then silence. Then a withdrawal. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, not again...

Rinkside

3 Not allowed!
    Noooo Jason! I'm gutted, but mostly because I hope this doesn't mean his concussion is worse than previously thought. Hopefully he just needs more time to recover before the grand prix circuit... Honestly don't know what I'll do if it's more serious

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Reported concussion. Back on the ice. Then silence. Then a withdrawal. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, not again...
    This has me very worried. I hope we'll get an update from his team as to how he's doing.

avatar credit: @miyan5605 ice coverage's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by elbkup View Post
    Joseph Klein was impressive in men's SP at LP yesterday. ...
    Something new? (New at least to me):
    Joe Klein's coach at U.S. Challenge Skate is Damon Allen.
    And now on Joe's USFS bio, Damon is the third coach listed.

Lots of interesting junior men at Challenge Skate. Good luck to all in the FS.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ice coverage View Post
    Something new? (New at least to me):
    Joe Klein's coach at U.S. Challenge Skate is Damon Allen.
    And now on Joe's USFS bio, Damon is the third coach listed.

Lots of interesting junior men at Challenge Skate. Good luck to all in the FS.
    Thanks for this! Not sure when/where he is competing again but look forward to his next comps...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910