Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje stepping away from competition | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje stepping away from competition

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
With W/P out, two of the three Canadian spots at SCI will be Gilles/Poirier and Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen.

Could be but won't necessarily be. I would be happy if F-B&S come as I'm going, and I'm rather bummed that W&P won't be there. The odds of tight battles at the top on the GP in general go down quite a bit without Weaver & Poje in the mix.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
With the new Skate Canada guidelines, skipping the GP makes them ineligible for the world team. This is goodbye I'm afraid.

I'm shocked as I thought for sure they planned to retire in Montreal. I'm guessing their hands were forced by their complicated coaching situation. Morozov is no longer capable of providing the infrastructure or even choreography for a top level ID team (also he's gross) and they were turned away from Montreal. I thought we would perhaps see them with Marina this fall, but I guess they couldn't make it happen. The RTR cash probably also played a part, as surely they'll make the tour now.

No, I don't think that's the case. GP participation is one of the criteria for the National Team, but that is about funding, not Worlds assignments.

rain

Record Breaker
I will miss them. But I imagine they could see the writing on the wall just as well as I could last season. They had, hands down, the best rhythm dance of last season, yet were stymied internationally. Their FD was likewise very good in a season of quite a few mediocre offerings. It was clear the judges had dumped them. I doubt they could expect any better this year, what with the Russian political manoeuvring, and the Americans jostling for position.

Personally, I thought they should have won worlds twice: 2014 when they lost by a fraction of a point to the Italians with the divine Maria de Buenos Aires FD, then again the next season with the beautiful Four Seasons FD, with which they dominated on the grand prix, winning the final decisively. But then by worlds the politics were in place pushing the young French team. Yes, I know that now W/P shouldn't beat the French, but back then the French were still really, really green, and horrendously bad at the short dance, while Weaver/Poje were really in their prime.

Anyway, if this is it competitively, they can be very proud of what they put out last season.

fishing

Rinkside
I too wasn't really surprised to read the announcement today but the Canadian Dance scene won't be the same without them. During their long competitive careers they always showed class and grace even with their health, the judges or the return of V and M challenged them. I have watched them in competition and in shows and always enjoyed their lovely performances. They left a legacy of beautiful, memorable dances that will endure despite how they may have finished on a particular podium. Wishing them well and hoping to see them again soon on competitive or show ice.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
There’s no reason they wouldn’t want to have them there to grab the bronze medal at home.

I can think of at least two (keeping them off G&P's tails early in the season and making certain both L&L and S&F have two spots); but there are some good reasons for SC to invite F-B&S as well. (One being to support F-B&S in the medal hunt. Another that it means, regardless of the draw, that Guignard & Fabbri won't be there to challenge G&P). Last season, there was quite a bit of distance between G&P and F-B&S so probably inviting both is more a plus than a negative at this stage. And while neither Lajoie & Lagha nor Soucisse & Firus are high enough on the SB list to have a predictable shot at two non-host spots, Canada can probably finagle a couple for at least one of them. As neither are too threatening and as both W&P and the Parsons' withdrawals inch those teams higher up on the priority list for invitations. (It would be more convincing for L&L, though, than S&F considering where those teams are on the SB list, and I think a lot of people are assuming SC will want to give L&L a host berth for their first GP season).

Anyway, we'll get all our answers very shortly. I will miss Weaver & Poje in Kelowna, regardless of who is there.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Hopefully Skate Canada will be smarter in how they schedule the GP assignments for Gilles & Poirier this coming season.

Last season G&P ended up with tough GP assignments and ended up missing out on the GP Final. Meanwhile, 2 dance teams who rank below them in the World standings (Hawayek & Baker and Guignard & Fabbri) had easier GP assignments and qualified for the Final.

rosy14

Final Flight
Hopefully Skate Canada will be smarter in how they schedule the GP assignments for Gilles & Poirier this coming season.

Last season G&P ended up with tough GP assignments and ended up missing out on the GP Final. Meanwhile, 2 dance teams who rank below them in the World standings (Hawayek & Baker and Guignard & Fabbri) had easier GP assignments and qualified for the Final.

Actually Guignard-Fabbri were NOT under G/P in world ranking, nor last year, nor this year.

rosy14

Final Flight
I will miss them. But I imagine they could see the writing on the wall just as well as I could last season. They had, hands down, the best rhythm dance of last season, yet were stymied internationally. Their FD was likewise very good in a season of quite a few mediocre offerings. It was clear the judges had dumped them. I doubt they could expect any better this year, what with the Russian political manoeuvring, and the Americans jostling for position.

Personally, I thought they should have won worlds twice: 2014 when they lost by a fraction of a point to the Italians with the divine Maria de Buenos Aires FD, then again the next season with the beautiful Four Seasons FD, with which they dominated on the grand prix, winning the final decisively. But then by worlds the politics were in place pushing the young French team. Yes, I know that now W/P shouldn't beat the French, but back then the French were still really, really green, and horrendously bad at the short dance, while Weaver/Poje were really in their prime.

Anyway, if this is it competitively, they can be very proud of what they put out last season.

Totally agree with you.
Judges were expecting they retiring last year, after the podium in Milan (a gift for the "last" competition), but they "stubbornly" were back again, arriving second at the 4 CC , "robbing" a place to the Americans, which are much, much less capable, technically and artisiically.
And at Worlds we saw the writing on the wall. Not only for them, though.

rosy14

Final Flight
Perhaps they will see how Challanger and GP series go for the Canadian couples. If these fare good, they won't return, if these fare poorly (no one classifying for the GP final), the Fed will convince them (and provide funds) to participate in Worlds, so to ensure three places for the next in 2021, which are the qualifier for the Olympics in 2022.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Feeling bummed out about this news. Thank goodness we got to see them compete @ 2016 Worlds! Wishing them all the best in whatever they do in their future (which I hope includes lots of shows & professional opportunities).

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Best of luck to them both! :)

As for the loudmouths on Twitter or elsewhere, I'd like to see them try one of W/P's programs!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Feeling bummed out about this news. Thank goodness we got to see them compete @ 2016 Worlds! Wishing them all the best in whatever they do in their future (which I hope includes lots of shows & professional opportunities).

I have seen them compete twice and well now, i don't feel like going to worlds anymore. Their magical, flowing and big skating will be missed.. their lifts... their speed... they really took ice dance somewhere else

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
ugh Im soooo sad I cant express it :sad4::sad4:
their style spoke to me soo much & they're suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch lovely people :sad21::sad21:
& oh yeah I have to mention Poje's hotness obv:cry::cry:
what a sad day!!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I have seen them compete twice and well now, i don't feel like going to worlds anymore. Their magical, flowing and big skating will be missed.. their lifts... their speed... they really took ice dance somewhere else

All of this, and I would add, their chemistry, and how they skate with such soul, for want if a better word. I think rosy14 above may be onto something, in that WP are probably best appreciated by those of us who have been watching dance seemingly forever and who have seen hundreds of competitive teams come and go. We know that teams like this come around once in a blue moon!

How lovely too that in what I assume will be their final season, they were able to leave us with two fabulous programs—both very “them”—to remember them by. In that way, they are leaving on a very high note.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Sad news. I always enjoyed their skating, and had expected them to go for it one more time because of the WC being in Canada. Medals or not, they managed to stay in the top 10 at the level of Worlds and usually at the upper ranks in that top 10 too, for a long time which really is a great achievement. I wish them well.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I'm shocked as I thought for sure they planned to retire in Montreal. I'm guessing their hands were forced by their complicated coaching situation. Morozov is no longer capable of providing the infrastructure or even choreography for a top level ID team (also he's gross) and they were turned away from Montreal. I thought we would perhaps see them with Marina this fall, but I guess they couldn't make it happen. The RTR cash probably also played a part, as surely they'll make the tour now.

I was unaware of their coaching situation - how sad! Also, they are not currently listed on the roster for the Rock the Rink tour, but I can selfishly hope they'll join so I get to see them live... Cappellini/Lanotte were recently removed from the roster (sad face) so maybe that leaves a spot for Weaver/Poje. Time will tell.