Story telling | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Story telling

Triple loop

Rinkside
I agree. Mao Asada's Madame Butterfly at the 2016 Worlds is interpreted perfectly. The costume, emotion, and choreography are all there. I have tried to watch every version of it. I love the dramatic ending.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think Plushy’s infamous “Sex Bomb” exhibition number really told the story of how he’s a total sex bomb. He played the hell outta that character.

Inflatable muscle suit and speedo for the win. :laugh2:

gkelly

Record Breaker
The origins of figure skating itself, as presented by Brian Orser. It starts with actual compulsory figures and also uses them as connecting moves. Gorgeous! :love: A program like this would likely not be able to happen these days.

Why not?

Because there is no venue such as the Canadian Open pro-am in which to present it? Maybe the Medal Winners Open will be held again. Or it could be done at an event like the Peggy Fleming Trophy. Or any other artistic skating that currently exists or may exist in the near future.

And of course anything can be done in a show skating context in any era, up to the imagination and abilities of the skaters performing.

That kind of program would never have been seen in standard freeskating competition in the 1980s or ca. 2001 either, and probably not in the 1950s through mid-70s either when all competitors did figures (but usually not in their freeskates), some skaters did triples, and backflips were yet not officially illegal.

Or because there is no one currently competing (or recently retired and performing in shows) who has the necessary figures skills to include them in a program designed for artistic competitions or shows? That's true -- very few 21st century competitors had worked on figures skills at a level to perform the opening choreography of this program. But I can think of a few who could probably handle it, starting with Patrick Chan.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Or because there is no one currently competing (or recently retired and performing in shows) who has the necessary figures skills to include them in a program designed for artistic competitions or shows? That's true -- very few 21st century competitors had worked on figures skills at a level to perform the opening choreography of this program. But I can think of a few who could probably handle it, starting with Patrick Chan.
Yes, exactly. Skaters generally don't have the background/basis in figures that they used to, because it's not part of competition. But Patrick was taught those basic blade skills by Mr. Colson. And it is completely obvious in every stroke he takes on the ice. So yes, he could definitely handle it. In his exhibition to Yesterday (here and here), choreographed as a tribute to Mr. Colson, Patrick starts with the basics. An amazing program! :yes:

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The origins of figure skating itself, as presented by Brian Orser. It starts with actual compulsory figures and also uses them as connecting moves. Gorgeous! :love: A program like this would likely not be able to happen these days. Time keeps marching on. I noticed the figures, the wallys, the delayed axel, etc. And for people who appreciate tricks more, Brian does a backup+3T, with no intervening steps. Debbi Wilkes provides helpful commentary on what's happening.

Thank you very much for this link. I remember very fondly this skate by Brian and it was a joy to watch it again.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just watching the Fantasy on Ice being broadcast today (I've lost count of how many now :laugh:) and Jeffrey Buttle yet again came on in a grey on grey sweatsuit affair that you would normally see on grandpas mowing the lawn on Sunday and made everyone groan at Canadian men's fashion sense. And then he skated to a (on my speakers) tinny version of Both Sides Now.

He poured out his life out to us. He made me cry.

I know it's not a competition piece, but as a small, perfect vignette, I can't think of many that could match it.