2019-20 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Pairs' figure skating

Artemisa

Final Flight
I think T/M NEED to win Rostelecom not because its the easiest way to get to the GPF but for their personal morale. They let the bad things linger in their heads too long and need to be rid of them as soon as possible. They can't go into the GPF (if they make it) or nationals feeling even worse then the do already.

Everyone has said, from the off season on, that if they made any mistakes B/K would be nipping at their heals ready to take advantage. Before it was just a saying of caution to them but in Canada it became a reality. For the defacto Russian #1 to lose to another Russian team is not good but for it to happen again, even worse. They can't afford to lose to B/K again and a loss to S/N would be just bad as well. It won't change their status as Russian team #1 for the rest of the season but it certainly won't look good internationally or with the federation either.

I don't think a lost to S/N would be a problem ... I second lost to a russian team ( any russian team) that would be a problem .. Yes it won't change her status to number 1 team but they would't be a 1 bullet proof

Artemisa

Final Flight
well I wouldn't still be exited with his height, shes still growing at a pace where you know how this will end.
watch out for that pairs golden rule "height difference" "height difference".

That's a rule yes ... but I don't see that difference in S/H and they are great

madforskating

On the Ice
I’m not too worried about Tarasova/Morozov getting to the GPF. Winning Rostelecom Cup is the easiest way in, but there are multiple scenarios that could happen. Besides, their only main competitors at Rostelecom Cup are Boikova/Kozlovskii and maybe Stolbova/Novoselov. If B/K make any mistakes and T/M don’t have a nightmare performance, T/M are in. The judges might even politick it so both pairs can go to the GPF (hold T/M up over B/K because B/K can get to the GPF with silver). I love my girl Stolbova, but since S/N are a new team, I’m not anticipating for them to beat T/M in their first competition together. The main goal is just beating Boikova/Kozlovskii.
Also, if Pavliuchenko/Khodykin can beat Mishina/Galliamov at the Grand Prix in France, M/G will likely be bumped out and T/M could get in even with a bronze and a silver if the tiebreak goes in their favor.

starla16

Medalist
PCS improvement from M/G.
so now P/K are into GPF with two silvers, M/G only need a bronze same for B/K

Tarasova needs to win in CoR or they are hanging by the thread from MT/M
If they dont win the CoR, They better pray and hope M/G get silver in NHK

Artemisa

Final Flight
PCS improvement from M/G.
so now P/K are into GPF with two silvers, M/G only need a bronze same for B/K

Tarasova needs to win in CoR or they are hanging by the thread from MT/M
If they dont win the CoR, They better pray and hope M/G get silver in NHK

I don't think in a neutral field MT/M can beat M/G if they skate clean ... And probably RF will sacrifice a B/K if that means that T/M get to the final ... the distribution of the GP shows that ... B/K being the 3 russian team at the time souldn't be facing T/M twice ...

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Congrats both to M/G and P/K, those russian new (or nearly new) seniors are coming for the medals.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Interesting PCS for M/G, to say the least. They'd have scored over 140+ without the flub on the combo.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Interesting PCS for M/G, to say the least. They'd have scored over 140+ without the flub on the combo.

Even P/K who had TWO falls (compared to only 1 at SA) managed to get a new season best FS score (by over 4 points). I know you can't compare competitions but while the technical mark at SA and France are identical there is a over 5 point difference in PCS marks (60.89 SA 66.47 FRA)! Were they really that much better in France or were the judges at SA just harder?

Honestly I think the lack of any seeded skaters played a role. Nothing major at stake for any federation so in a way they went easy and weren't as critical. At SA you had the second ranked Chinese team and Canada had three teams who were top 6 at last year's worlds (including the home team #1). Who was at France? The highest ranked team there was only 9th at the previous worlds and they are inconsistent.

edit: an identical happening for the American pair Denney/Frazier as well. A jump of 3 points in PCS marks:

65.28 tech./62.24 pcs at SA (their home event!!!)
64.85 tech/65.90 pcs in France

Artemisa

Final Flight
Even P/K who had TWO falls (compared to only 1 at SA) managed to get a new season best FS score (by over 4 points). I know you can't compare competitions but while the technical mark at SA and France are identical there is a over 5 point difference in PCS marks (60.89 SA 66.47 FRA)! Were they really that much better in France or were the judges at SA just harder?

Honestly I think the lack of any seeded skaters played a role. Nothing major at stake for any federation so in a way they went easy and weren't as critical. At SA you had the second ranked Chinese team and Canada had three teams who were top 6 at last year's worlds (including the home team #1). Who was at France? The highest ranked team there was only 9th at the previous worlds and they are inconsistent.

edit: an identical happening for the American pair Denney/Frazier as well. A jump of 3 points in PCS marks:

65.28 tech./62.24 pcs at SA (their home event!!!)
64.85 tech/65.90 pcs in France

I think you are right with out major players ... it is easy for them to give scores ...

LadyB

Record Breaker
Wow, Pairs is absolutely magic this season. In my dream scenario all four Russian teams will make it to the GPF. Yes, I also believe that T/M will have to win Rostelecom. If they're not making too many obvious mistakes, they should be in. Given how scoring for host nations work at GP. I'll be there, watch it all live and scream my lungs out for both T/M and B/K...and keep my fingers crossed for Ksenia, if she turns up...

Artemisa

Final Flight
Wow, Pairs is absolutely magic this season. In my dream scenario all four Russian teams will make it to the GPF. Yes, I also believe that T/M will have to win Rostelecom. If they're not making too many obvious mistakes, they should be in. Given how scoring for host nations work at GP. I'll be there, watch it all live and scream my lungs out for both T/M and B/K...and keep my fingers crossed for Ksenia, if she turns up...

I belive that to .. I think all 4 teams will be in the GPF .. like a little russian nationals ...:devil:

starla16

Medalist
I belive that to .. I think all 4 teams will be in the GPF .. like a little russian nationals ...:devil:

for that to happen

Tarasova / Morozov need to win CoR
and Pavlyucneko /Khodykin need to pray and hope M/G beat MT/M for silver in NHK

Artemisa

Final Flight
After the cup of china .. I think only a clean T/M can beat S/H ... even that I think that B/K can come close in the SP ...

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Nobody, not even a clean T/M, will beat a clean S/H.

They'd need to have an extraordinary day, for sure. The other teams are not behind them on the technical side, but PCS and GOE are going to make a huge difference.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
After the cup of china .. I think only a clean T/M can beat S/H ... even that I think that B/K can come close in the SP ...

I think they should at least get close, but after World's last year I'm not sure...T/M's programs and performance were stunning, but S/H beat them by more than 5 points! I'm still salty about that...

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I’m not sure anyone can beat s/h right now, but I surely enjoy seeing baby russian pairs really making a move this season. Quite a confident move from juniors to seniors, and B/K are really establishing themselves as one of the leading pairs. A lot of them are still VERY young, with time and improvements bigger marks will come.

Artemisa

Final Flight
I think they should at least get close, but after World's last year I'm not sure...T/M's programs and performance were stunning, but S/H beat them by more than 5 points! I'm still salty about that...

T/M is a curious thing ... they were very consistent .. there body didn't change that much and they didn't really have competition in russia .. and them they begin to fail