2019-20 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Pairs' figure skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Poor Russia. Still they remain somewhat competitive. Losing Ksenia and world bronze medallists Z and E. Seeing T and M struggle. Yet they still are fighting for medal.Other than maybe China they still look very good.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
With Tarasova/Morozov, Boikova/Kozlovskii, Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, Mishina/Galliamov, Panfilova/Rylov, Pepeleva/Pleshkov, Akhanteva/Kolesov, Kostiukovich/Ialin, Artemeva/Nazarychev, Mukhametzianova/Mironov, etc., I'd say that Russian pairs are looking pretty strong, even without Zabiiako/Enbert, Efimova/Korovin, and Stolbova/Novoselov :)

Fanou

Rinkside
Regarding Korovin, it is actually not too clear yet if he will remain as a competitive skater :

https://www-oblgazeta-ru.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.oblgazeta.ru/amp/sport/figure-skating/105664/

The article is not too long, you can google translate it :)...
Basically he says that many things have to be considered, like the time necessary to learn everything with a new partner, the Olympics fast approaching, his age and if the new pair is lucky enough to avoid any major problem...

Artemisa

Final Flight
With Tarasova/Morozov, Boikova/Kozlovskii, Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, Mishina/Galliamov, Panfilova/Rylov, Pepeleva/Pleshkov, Akhanteva/Kolesov, Kostiukovich/Ialin, Artemeva/Nazarychev, Mukhametzianova/Mironov, etc., I'd say that Russian pairs are looking pretty strong, even without Zabiiako/Enbert, Efimova/Korovin, and Stolbova/Novoselov :)

They have the same competition that ladie's have ...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Poor Russia. Still they remain somewhat competitive. Losing Ksenia and world bronze medallists Z and E. Seeing T and M struggle. Yet they still are fighting for medal.Other than maybe China they still look very good.

Poor Russia? They have the defending World silver medalists defending European champions and had half of the Pairs teams at the GPF plus other young teams coming up in the future. To be honest Russia has done just fine in the last few years without Ksenia being much of a factor considering her one and only World medal was 6 years ago. China on the other hand has two good Pairs team but not much else at the moment. Russia will continue to dominate Pairs in the near future especially when S/H retire most likely post 2022.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Alina Solovyeva apparently debuted as a pair recently at the Championships of St Petersburg: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9KACb_JKMA/

Is there any video of this somewhere?

Youtube channel Студия-38 broadcasted the whole competition, but now it is blocked, unfortunately. As for Solovyeva, with her partner they withdrew from the competition after the short program, where they received 52.09 point and gained 6th place: http://fskating.spb.ru/images/result/1920/20200226Starvozr/SEG005.HTM

Fanou

Rinkside
I'm baffled by the changes we have seen in the pairs discipline in Russia. The intense competition we are seeing now, I think, never happened before. I'm wondering how is the Russian federation handling that. Pairs number 1, 2 and 3 used to be pretty well established... It seems now these 3 first pairs can be different each year or to change within the same year... That level of uncertainty must be so hard to handle for the pair skaters. And being over 25 did not use to be crippling at all just 2 seasons ago...

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I'm baffled by the changes we have seen in the pairs discipline in Russia. The intense competition we are seeing now, I think, never happened before. I'm wondering how is the Russian federation handling that. Pairs number 1, 2 and 3 used to be pretty well established... It seems now these 3 first pairs can be different each year or to change within the same year... That level of uncertainty must be so hard to handle for the pair skaters. And being over 25 did not use to be crippling at all just 2 seasons ago...

It's just that the new wave of the very strong young pairs came out of the junior into the senior category. Federation is probably glad they have tons or reserves now :)

I'm really curious how they will succeed against the chinese pairs, esp. against Sui/Han at worlds.

Albus

Match Penalty

If an athlete hardly handles the competition, it is not an athlete

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
That were most awesome skating runs in the World Championships short program !!! Am-a-zing :)

Barring mistakes, the order has been set for tomorrow.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
All three russian pais just confirmed their domination in the junior category.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Congrats to Panfilova/Rylov from me as well and to the other two russian pairs for their medals.

Unexpectedly tough end of the competition for Artemeva/Nazarychev and Akhanteva/Kolesov, but at the end they defended bronze and silver. Fatigue at the end of the season or nerves? I remember that last year all three russian pairs (incl. Panfilova/Rylov) made unexpected number of mistakes in their free programs as well. But still their overall level is so much higher that they can afford that.

Now it will be interesting to see whether P/R and A/K will move to seniors or remain in juniors. A/K I presume will remain in juniors (and can possibly dominate the next season if they gain consistency), P/R would probably move to seniors, but there is still the question of the solo triple jumps. In juniors they can easily overcome the gap in points between doubles and triples by the superior quality of the pair elements, but in seniors it will be considerable disadvantage against the other senior russian and chinese pairs. I presume they will spend the summer camp by training jumps jumps jumps.

From others, I presume Kostiukovich/Ialin will have to move to seniors due to Ialin's age.

Wish good next season to Mukhametzianova/Mironov as well, they are better than Artemeva/Nazarychev generally, just their end of the season was not as good as the beginning. But together A/K, M/M and A/N can create another strong trio for JGP and WJC.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
That's probably reasonable in this moment, there are enough strong russian senior pairs now and they will have more time to prepare.

Lovechihuahua

Match Penalty
Kostiukovich / Ialin and Pepeleva / Pleshkov will move up to senior next season, all the others will continue to stay at juniors, including the three teams competed at wjc.

Zamin

Rinkside
I'll have to find it but I stumbled upon an interview of Zhovrinsky, who coaches the junior pairs in Mozer's team. Original plan was for Pepeleva/Pleshkov to move to seniors but Alina Pepeleva's injury might derail those plans. She's growing a lot right now and it causes her a lot of small injuries so question mark for that team at the moment.
M/M are likely to remain juniors but Mukhametzianova is going through puberty so again, a bit of a question mark especially concerning the jumps.

Mukhartova/Evgeniev and another novice pair should make their debut on the JGP circuit if everything is okay next season.

As for Velikov's team, I think A/K are more than likely to stay juniors one year more. Iirc their trainer's point of view is "no moving up to seniors unless you've won Junior Worlds". Anyway, K/I will be forced to move up due to age limits.