Yuzuru Hanyu, Greatest Or Not The Greatest? | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu, Greatest Or Not The Greatest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokoyami

On the Ice
He certainly will be on most lists of the “greatest figure skaters of all time.” And deservedly so based on his many achievements. But...

He won’t be on my list. I haven’t felt anything from Hanyu since 2012. He’s been leaving me completely cold for seven years. I find his programs (especially his free skates and exhibitions) to be interchangeable and mechanical. He’s like that student in school that knows exactly what to say to the teacher to get an A. That student doesn’t really understand what’s coming out of his mouth, but he read the textbook and knows it’s the right answer and will make the teacher happy. Hanyu’s skating is a lot like that. He robotically checks all the boxes because he wants that A.

I know what you mean, that's how PChiddy is for me. Which is why PChiddy will never be my GOAT (along with a lot of other reasons of course)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
While this is a very subjective criterium for meassuring the goat-ness...
...Javi's ROI in Pamplona sold out just fine without him. In Madrid they had to add another date ;)

Javi is the European GOAT. I don't think there will be much argument there.
It's a fuzzy criteria, but in addition to the titles and medals and records, skating is a sport that people go to watch.
As Dick Button said, a sense of theater is important.

That Javi is able to attract public interest enough to fill a stadium is a testament to his greateness. His skating is such that people are willing to pay and travel to see it.

Yuzu too of course.

Last edited:

ankifeather

Final Flight
...Javi's ROI in Pamplona sold out just fine without him. In Madrid they had to add another date ;)

Whilst selling out shows is not the only indicator for goat-ness, it is a direct indicator whether a skater is a captivating performer (which goes to the performance criteria of a great skater). If you can bring lots of people to your shows and competitions, means people are captivated by your performance and programs. And Javi is a great performer. most people would agree with that.

Medals shows you are a great competitor in skating, ability to draw in a crowd shows you are a great performer. You need both to be remembered in history. Evan, as discussed in the lady's thread is an example where you can have the grand slam, but if people don't care for your programs, then you are forgotten in the 'greats' debate.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Javi's Flamenco on Ice this year was one of the highlights for me (and ties into that other thread about live music too :luv17: ) and I've rewatched it a startling number of times as well...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
hmm. censorship seems strong here... let me try again.
as a skater hanyu has many shortcomings and because of this he is not the greatest (even though he has been awarded many medals). the shortcomings being:

1. poor posture
2. shallow edges
3. skating skills that are not good enough to warrant 8s, 9s or 10s in PCS
4. lack of innate musicality (see: shoma, han yan, denis ten, julian zhi, sandhu, jason brown et al)

Oh girl, not saying I entirely disagree, but damn, you brave! :slink: :laugh:

1. Yes he doesn't have the best posture but my issue with him isn't having bad posture so much as lacking *consistently* good posture. Sometimes his lines are sublime, other times it's downright sloppy (which can be said of many skaters, though).

2. Again, he's capable of deep edges but sometimes I don't see him leaning into his edges or riding his edges as well as he can. Sometimes his edges are rushed and could use more knee bend.

3. 8 is rather harsh... I would say his skating skills warrant a 9/9.25 when performed at his best - he uses a lot of different turns and steps and shows good control. However with respect to point 2, he could have deeper edges when he skates.

4. He definitely has musicality and I appreciate him incorporating into things like his spins and footwork. But I don't think he's always engaged in and expressing the music the way someone like Jason Brown or Daisuke Takahashi or Patrick Chan is.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Going out and performing under pressure of the expectation of ones entire country in brave. Succeeding and failing and trying again is brave.
Giving your all to skating whether or not the public appreciates your contribution is brave.

What bravery is not:
Posting a negative opinion on a skating board.

Come on, having hot take on a popular skater is a ticket to hipster status, not bravery.

tokoyami

On the Ice
Going out and performing under pressure of the expectation of ones entire country in brave. Succeeding and failing and trying again is brave.
Giving your all to skating whether or not the public appreciates your contribution is brave.

What bravery is not:

Come on, having hot take on a popular skater is a ticket to hipster status, not bravery.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

What bravery is not:

I just needed to say that this is a kind of post that I never expected to see from Interspectator :luv17::luv17::luv17:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

What bravery is not:

You have put something I have thought more often than I like to admit into far more judicious and polite words than I use when thinking it...

:points:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

What bravery is not:

So, in that regard, you admit that every skater is brave and deserves applause.

So all this talk of certain skaters not named Hanyu was all for fluff, because they do deserve applause and recognition, because they were brave and some more than others.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
So, in that regard, you admit that every skater is brave and deserves applause.

So all this talk of certain skaters not named Hanyu was all for fluff, because they do deserve applause and recognition, because they were brave and some more than others.

For the first sentence, absolutely. All skaters who choose to make this a career are far braver than I can fathom. It takes physical and emotional courage to compete at a high level. It's amazing. This goes for all skaters. Whether I like their skating or not.

For the second sentence, I think you misunderstand my post.
Everyone has an opinion about the skaters they see. Some are positive opinions and some are negative, but the act of posting that opinion here is hardly an act of bravery. It's fun to post, to agree and disagree with other members, to have an opinion and share it is what this board is for. Bravery isn't part of it. That's all.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
For the first sentence, absolutely. All skaters who choose to make this a career are far braver than I can fathom. It takes physical and emotional courage to compete at a high level. It's amazing. This goes for all skaters. Whether I like their skating or not.

For the second sentence, I think you misunderstand my post.
Everyone has an opinion about the skaters they see. Some are positive opinions and some are negative, but the act of posting that opinion here is hardly an act of bravery. It's fun to post, to agree and disagree with other members, to have an opinion and share it is what this board is for. Bravery isn't part of it. That's all.

I'll address your first sentence with: I know because I've been there and done that. I know what it's like to be an elite level skater day in and day out.

The rest we'll just YMMV and agree to disagree.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
He's never won Four Continents.

This year, Japan sent its entire Olympic team minus Yuzuru Hanyu to Four Continents. Shoma Uno won Four Continents with world record free skate in Anaheim, California. The Four Continents championships is usually held in Taiwan and top-tier skaters often skip the competition. Yuzuru Hanyu participated in the 4CC only three times in his career (2011, 2013, 2017) and he earned a silver medal each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.