Yuzuru Hanyu, Greatest Or Not The Greatest? | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu, Greatest Or Not The Greatest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think there are degrees / types of bravery. They can't be compared, and some are of a different order, but they're all brave in a way:

- risking your life by running into a burning house or jumping into a raging torrent to save a stranger's life

- risking your life to save/rescue your child or other loved one

- competing in skating at a high level

- criticizing a skater who is very popular / worshipped by many posters, knowing you will be vilified

Clearly these aren't comparable, but I personally would use the word brave for all of them, even knowing that they are not all the same.

I believe it was originally used here in a lighthearted way, to mean "oh, they'll get you for that!" And indeed they will.

So, in that regard, you admit that every skater is brave and deserves applause.

This is true; everyone agrees. I do not understand why this is taken to be some sort of "admission," like "Aha! You admitted your crime -- off with your head!"

So all this talk of certain skaters not named Hanyu was all for fluff, because they do deserve applause and recognition, because they were brave and some more than others.

Skaters named Hanyu are brave. Skaters not named Hanyu are brave. People who post anonymously to the Internet for the purpose of disparaging skaters -- no, there is nothing particularly brave about that.

(That's what I think anyway.)

Ophelia

Record Breaker
hmm. censorship seems strong here... let me try again.
as a skater hanyu has many shortcomings and because of this he is not the greatest (even though he has been awarded many medals). the shortcomings being:

1. poor posture
2. shallow edges
3. skating skills that are not good enough to warrant 8s, 9s or 10s in PCS
4. lack of innate musicality (see: shoma, han yan, denis ten, julian zhi, sandhu, jason brown et al)

You can say any skater has "many shortcomings".

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
This thread has run its course and everyone has had their say. It will now be closed. Thank you all for your contributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.